Mapsource

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Mapsource

Post by Zytheran » 15 June 05 12:27 am

Is it possible to get the mapsource utility for the Garmin but without any data sets? Is it meant to come with a new GPS or only when you buy the full product?
(I already use sendmap, EasyGPS etc. but never bothered with Garmin software because I never had it.)

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 15 June 05 9:24 am

I think the best (cheapest) you can do is their Track and Waypoint manager (which I think is mapsource with the basic map of the world).

A quick check shows it's $60 from Jonny Appleseed (http://www.ja-gps.com.au/mapsource_waypointmanager.html).

Although a frend of mine bought a eTrex Legend C a little while back and the software was included in the price - which is how I know about it.

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 15 June 05 11:25 pm

Reading about the Track and Waypoint manager it would appear that this software does not support map uploading. I already have the custom img maps , I would like to try to uploading them using the Garmin software rather the method I usually use.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 16 June 05 10:15 am

Why not just use sendmap, it works fine for me.

GraemeWi

Post by GraemeWi » 16 June 05 5:15 pm

Zytheran wrote:Reading about the Track and Waypoint manager it would appear that this software does not support map uploading. I already have the custom img maps , I would like to try to uploading them using the Garmin software rather the method I usually use.
It does support map uploading - it just says it cant on the software packaging. I've got a copy of Trip and Waypoint Manager and have added heaps of custom maps into it. The custom maps upload fine to my Legend using MapSource

Cheers,

G

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 16 June 05 9:24 pm

Thanks, for the posts. I currently use sendmap but now have a few hundred custom maps :shock: and I'm after some sort of front end to manage it all. Batch files are getting a bit complex. Sendmap has worked really well, actually so has the compiler and MapEdit. Sort of peeved Garmin don't offer free software for upload/download of waypoints and maps. Never got any CD's with my Legend... :?

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 16 June 05 9:57 pm

Zytheran wrote:Never got any CD's with my Legend... :?
Either did I, but my friend got one with his LegendC - maybe it's "just a colour thing"

dave

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » 17 June 05 5:40 pm

The old Garmin mapping GPS receivers came with a data cable and the new mapping receivers (GPSmap 60C, 76C, Legend C etc) come with a data cable and MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager.

You can add other mapping products into MS T&WM that can be uploaded but the map included standard with T&WM cannot be uploaded.

GraemeWi

Post by GraemeWi » 17 June 05 6:03 pm

You could try img2gps which is a front end for SendMap - it has 'map sets' which you can load and save to file for ease of use grouping different maps together. (it doesn't save the maps, just a list of the maps)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/img2gps

Cheers,

G