Garmin Software

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 09 June 05 8:30 pm

:P

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » 12 June 05 5:21 pm

Skippy&lambchops wrote:The tracks4australia v1.0 is 36.2 Mb I have already downloaded it. I found a few bugs already. :(
You have reported them, right ?
It is a cooperative venture and if you do not support it with tracklogs and waypoints then it will never get better.

Burnie M
burniem@gpsriders.net

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 12 June 05 10:46 pm

Buy City Navigator or Metro Guide for the Map 60c. We have, and you wont beat it 8) Nothing in a hand held unit comes close! Good luck. :lol:

moocowmedia

Post by moocowmedia » 13 June 05 7:14 pm

I have a friend that has given me his Garmin Unit, it is loaded with Australian City Navigator V4.0....Is there a difference between this and the current version of Metro Guide?...
Not sure if i should buy Metro Guide for the Map60c, or access the Australian City Navigator V4.0 for the Map60c. I think i can download the codes for a second unit if you own one, which i now do.

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 13 June 05 11:46 pm

moocowmedia wrote:I have a friend that has given me his Garmin Unit, it is loaded with Australian City Navigator V4.0....Is there a difference between this and the current version of Metro Guide?...
Not sure if i should buy Metro Guide for the Map60c, or access the Australian City Navigator V4.0 for the Map60c. I think i can download the codes for a second unit if you own one, which i now do.
When we purchased our Map60c approx 8 months ago, we also purchased Australian City Navigator V5.0. This program is Routable (ie tells you where to go :wink: ) where as Metro guide was not. The latter however, did have more roads in rural areas than City Navigator.

Australian City Navigator V6.0 is now out, as is the upgrade CD. It Combines all the streets/roads of Metroguide (Every Government surveyed rd in Aus.), with the routable capabilities of the City Navigator program. So you get the best of both worlds. Also the new version has more info now on parks tracks waterways etc etc, and has gone from 80,000 points of interest to over 1/2 million POI. (ie restaurants/lodging/Toilets etc, with all their details inc ph #'s etc.)

The versions have changed dramatically!
"Johnny Appleseed" (aka THE Garmin shop with all the answers) will help you with virtually anything to do with your unit.
Good luck
Chookies

moocowmedia

Post by moocowmedia » 14 June 05 12:09 pm

Thanks Chookies, i appreciate your feedback....i would say that version 6 is the best way to go....

Moo

Skippy&lambchops

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 14 June 05 7:21 pm

Not having seen City Nav V6 yet I can say in the past and still using City Nav V4 and V5 also having Metroguide V4, I'm not convinced Sensis Maps are better then Hema Maps. Only one good thing about Garmin is that it has autorouting.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 15 June 05 10:44 am

Saw CN6 at the gold rush - is pretty cool.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 17 June 05 12:27 am

skippy said
I'm not convinced Sensis Maps are better then Hema Maps
I had a good look at CN 6 over the Frolic weekend on my iQue3600. It is a HUGE improvement over version 5 for country areas but is still not as good as Magellan DiscoverAus for country areas (I was using that on my Meridian Gold). Neither are as good as a decent paper map, particularly Carto Graphics' South East South Australia :roll: which also got a heavy workout throughout the event.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 18 June 05 10:21 pm

hmm, that would mean that neither of these products are as good as the custom made maps from the GA 1:250k data that's available for free. ...Because that playing field map was based on the 250k data.
Having looked at City Navigator 4 my summary is that it's ok for built up areas around Adelaide but outside of that it's useless.And obviously the 50k paper or scanned maps are best of all.
For comparison see:
http://www.adam.com.au/nigeldk/geocaching/maps/
There are different versions of the 1:250k