logging caches you can't find?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
EvilDan

logging caches you can't find?

Post by EvilDan » 24 May 05 11:23 am

Guys,
Does everyone do this?
<p>
I've just done a maintainence check on one of my caches ("Incinerator"), after 2 people logged it saying they couldn't find it.
But - these logs show firstly that
<br>1) another team was also there but didn't find it - but they didn't log their visit
<br>2) one cacher had attempted the cache 2-3 times without logging that he couldn't find it.
<p>
Now, that's not a huge deal, but as a cache owner, if people don't log that they can't find it, how am I supposed to know that the cache may need checking, in case it's been stolen? Are people worried about looking dumb if they can't find a 1/1 cache or something?
<p>
Please log all cache visits, including those you can't find, so that owners can keep track of them. If an owner sees 3 or 4 people in a row unable to find the cache, they'll probably go and do a check to make sure it's still there... if you don't log these unsuccessful visits, maybe the cache is gone, and more and more cachers will keep showing up and wasting their time...

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: logging caches you can't find?

Post by Richary » 24 May 05 11:39 am

EvilDan wrote:1) another team was also there but didn't find it - but they didn't log their visit
<br>2) one cacher had attempted the cache 2-3 times without logging that he couldn't find it.
<br>
I'm confused - if someone couldn't find it and didn't log the no find how do you know they have been there?<P>
I will generally log a no find if I have had a chance to have a good look. If I was just stopped by muggles in the area or only had a chance for a quick half-hearted look then I may not bother.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 24 May 05 11:49 am

richary wrote:I'm confused - if someone couldn't find it and didn't log the no find how do you know they have been there?
One possible explanation is that they found it eventually and wrote about their DNF's in the log book.

EvilDan

Post by EvilDan » 24 May 05 12:11 pm

The Garner Family wrote:
richary wrote:I'm confused - if someone couldn't find it and didn't log the no find how do you know they have been there?
One possible explanation is that they found it eventually and wrote about their DNF's in the log book.
Exactly. In this case though, they finally logged a DNF which said they'd failed to find it on multiple other attempts. Had all of those been logged, I'd have done a maintainence check earlier to reassure them. Go have a look at "Incinerator."

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 24 May 05 1:02 pm

Yep, a good geo-citizen logs all DNFs where they've had a half-decent crack at finding it.

- R

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by bigmickb » 24 May 05 2:25 pm

I'll log a DNF, but only if I've had a decent attempt at finding it. More than once I've had to turn away and abandon a search because of too many muggles, or leave as soon as I've arrived due to having run out of time. If that's the case, I see no need to alarm the cache setter without good cause.

However if I've had a good crack at it and failed to find it, then I will log a DNF as a good geo-citizen.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 24 May 05 4:28 pm

For me it depends on when I search, if its a night time cache search (80% of my caches now) and I cant find it then I wont log a DNF since the dark could have hampered my search.

If itÂ’s a day search and I canÂ’t find it I nearly always log a DNF.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 24 May 05 4:38 pm

We experienced something similar....there was a particular cache that we KNEW for certain the location of- but when we went there- there were two pens left where the cache used to be. I was confused about what to log- seeing that we were in the right place, but the cache was gone. (It turned out to have been muggled)

So, in the end, I logged a note letting the cache owner know the cache was gone- so that we could later go in and log a find once the cache was replaced. (still to do this- we've not been caching for a while :( :( )

And we will only log a DNF if we've had a serious shot at the cache and couldn't locate it.

Marie

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 24 May 05 5:35 pm

Also, not all DNFs are created equal; the description tells the rest of the story

If I see a DNF or two on one of our caches and the logs indicate that the search was done at night or in a hurry or by an inexperienced cacher on a well-hidden cache or whatever, I don't automatically assume that it's been Muggled or otherwise lost.

Likewise, we tend to log most of our DNFs where we've had any more than a cursory search, but point out how seriously or otherwise we looked.
(Besides, cache placers who know us realise how likely we are to completely overlook all too many 1/1 caches!)

However, if we find the remains of a cache, or the place it used to be, we usually won't log it as a find. I mean, without a logbook, it's just a <shudder> virtual, no longer a real cache.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 24 May 05 6:31 pm

There's been times I have logged a DNF and go through the logs to find I am the only one to ever do so. :oops:
Maybe people are embarrassed by it...
If I have had a good go at finding a cache I will log a DNF and usually post a note if I haven't completed a multi or had a good look due to Muggles.

"Incinerator" cache related Trivia:
Burley was Walter Burley Griffin's middle name so doesn't need to be hyphenated with his surname. Common historical mistake, just look at that pond in Canberra!

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 24 May 05 6:54 pm

I just logged a DNF, sometimes I do it, sometimes I contact the owner directly. In this last case I'll be e-mailing the owner a pic and waiting to see what they say, we did make a valid attempt at this so I have no problems in making a DNF against it. However I don't like logging multiple DNF's against the same cache if I can help it.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 24 May 05 9:39 pm

I looked for a cache 6 times with no find,but i knew it was there and i was not getting the point so this was no reason to disturb the peace 6 times saying that i should have been looking closer to detail.

acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by acts2youthgroup » 24 May 05 9:45 pm

I usually dont log a DNF unless I have had a good try at it. I tried delta charlie by Maccamob several times before finally finding it. Usually after my third attempt then I will log a DNF. But all this goes out the window if I will not be returning to the area, I just log it and admit that the hider has done a great job of hiding it. It pays to put some of your DNF's on the watch list to see if anyone else finds them. Did a cache today found what was once part of the container, so loged a DNF on this one with out hesitation so that the owner can check it out. There is no shame in admiting you cant find a well hidden cache.

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 24 May 05 10:55 pm

Freddo 145 DNF!!

Let the buggers know you are looking and the fun you had not finding. It is no big deal.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 25 May 05 10:00 am

Mr Router wrote:I looked for a cache 6 times with no find,but i knew it was there and i was not getting the point so this was no reason to disturb the peace 6 times saying that i should have been looking closer to detail.
Why not? That's half the fun on some cache logs, reading how much trouble others had with it, though posting a note might be more applicable for a work in progress.

- R