I've said it before, I'll say it again.....

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Raider
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

I've said it before, I'll say it again.....

Post by Team Raider » 09 May 05 3:33 am

Whats the damn deal here guys...:?:<br>
It's supposed to be a Covert hobby... The idea is NOT to be seen...<p>
But alas, some seem intent on chasing NUMBERS and getting caches muggled rather than WALKING AWAY and coming back again another time.....<p><p>
Whilst keying in the new coords nosey spectators were noted watching from the nearby high rise apartments.<p>

A quick stroll to the new GZ and height challenge Sparky left it to Victor successfully retrieve the cache. Whilst logging the cache we had a surprise visit from three of the local constabulary. "Hello, 'ello, 'ello. You in the grey shirt. What are you doing here?" they enquired. [:I][:I]<p>

It seems our less than stealth like actions prompted the high rise spectators to call crime stoppers to report "that a drug deal was going down!" [:O] Our explanation and sheepish demeanor had the three officers leave with a smirk and the front page of our caching notes. You could only imagine their thoughts as they climbed back into the paddy wagon.
<p>I mean REALLY whats the deal????<br>I've already seen regular evidence of caches being muggled after this cacher(s) have logged the last find.<p>
RANT MODE OFF...<br>
Mike - Team Raider

Team GeoCoopers
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Team GeoCoopers » 09 May 05 9:53 am

I agree Mike.

On several occasions whilst out caching including we've simply sat at or near GZ waiting for a quiet spot in the muggles before continuing. When we've seen other cachers walk up in broad daylight and blatantly search around and retrieve the cache oblivious to us sitting right there.

Just because caching is now in the papers and on the radio. It doesn't mean that muggles near a GZ will think 'that person searching around over there is acting a little strange. :idea: They must be a geocacher'.

I'm sick of seeing find logs of 'I don't the class of school kids sitting at GZ while I grabbed the cache suspected at thing' and then the next logs are surprisingly 'I looked and looked and I couldn't find it, I think it may be gone'.

If not out of plain view of muggles, and even more so if you know for sure that they are watching what you're up to. Stop :!: and think twice :idea: before continuing to find/remove the cache :evil: .

---
Jeremy
TeamGeoCoopers@jezza1.com

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 09 May 05 12:27 pm

Yep, I have seen some cachers do exactly the wrong thing and go in hammer and tongs and draw attention at cache sites.
(Not the ones above mind you) I guess there are some that are obviously after the point (Smiley) and dont give a crap about the consequences.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 09 May 05 1:14 pm

It can also be 'young', excited players. I put 'young' in quotes as I introduced 3 retirees to caching during a recent trip overseas (my parents and aunt) and they were so excited by their finds they would yell out 'it's over here! got it!'. I also had to explain the etiquitte around letting everyone find it if you're with multiple cachers. <P>If someone's log for one of my more difficult muggle-wise caches indicated they might not be doing the stealthy thing, a polite email might be the way to go. They might not be very exprienced, and why should they have to wait for one of their own caches to be muggled to learn?

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 09 May 05 3:15 pm

I agree too but I must admit one of my recent attempts in Sydney may make me look like this.

Oh Darling

I knew I looked obvious with hundreds of people walking past, a guy even came up and offered to help to look for my lost contact lenses. If I had seen the cache I would have known then where it was and come back later to collect it, I wouldnÂ’t jeopardise the cache.

Snuva

Post by Snuva » 09 May 05 3:17 pm

Just buy a dog! Amazing how many times I've 'lost her ball'! Or claimed to be looking for fossils! :D

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 09 May 05 3:25 pm

Dak (dak's Emu Mob) had a great one when security approached us in Brisbane @ Combination Delta. Since we where in the vicinity of a rainforest he just claimed we where 'looking for frogs' and the security guard said carry on.

Obviously the point is not to be seen or draw attention to your self but sometimes that canÂ’t be helped.

Snuva

Post by Snuva » 09 May 05 4:20 pm

This made me laugh and seems appropriate to this discussion, from a recent Tasmanian log (hope the cacher doesn't mind me quoting!):

<P>This is how it happened:
I set off at 11:30 am Sunday from Mums place, I had with me my trusty eTrex Venture, an item I grabbed from home and one other item I borrowed from my Mothers shed.

I got to the Clock tower a few minutes later and donned my disguise, the Fluro Orange Workmans Vest (I used to use it when I worked at Savage River Mines), and the Weed Spray Pump-Pack I got from Mums. Then it was simply a case of searching the clock posing as a Council Gardener. It worked without a hitch, no beeps, no questions and not more than a fleeting glance from passers-by.

Upon locating the cache I retreated to the park bench and logged my visit and, when finished, casually returned the cache to its hiding place.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 09 May 05 4:58 pm

Makes me proud to own the cache! Creative caching!

I must send the cacher an email - top job!

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 09 May 05 8:04 pm

All I can say is that I think it continues the anarchic tradition of this cache. Early logs show that opening night included a riot.

Getting there is not the problem.

sparkky
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by sparkky » 09 May 05 8:44 pm

Not guilty
This little black ducks got 2 k's

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 09 May 05 11:26 pm

I wear a polo shirt from work which has a big fat logo on it (science related) and claim I'm doing some survey work on bugs, frogs or soil. :twisted: They can't argue with that.

Mind you, I was passed by an ACT Parks person yesterday and he asked how my day was going and what I did. Didn't mention the 'g' word just in case.

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 10 May 05 12:05 am

From my latest caching logs<P>
1.30pm. With muggles aplenty, had to put on my
"geologist's" hat to inspect the strata levels within the rock face to make it possible to grab the cache!!!!!
<P>

It not hard to blend in. It took about 20mintues to finally retreive the cache, fill out the log & place it back. Even had one of 'THEM' show us a better spot for rocks.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 10 May 05 12:21 am

OMY130 wrote:From my latest caching logs<P>
1.30pm. With muggles aplenty, had to put on my
"geologist's" hat to inspect the strata levels within the rock face to make it possible to grab the cache!!!!!
<P>

It not hard to blend in. It took about 20mintues to finally retreive the cache, fill out the log & place it back. Even had one of 'THEM' show us a better spot for rocks.
Took me about 2 minutes to do this one today :twisted:

A youngster in hand is a great cover......"Stand there and i'll get a cute photo" whilst i go back here near this strange object. :lol:

Agsmky

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 10 May 05 1:52 am

Although the kids and a camera are a great alibi for a photo shoot on some weird looking piece of art of whatever..how do people handle those caches with bloody video cameras turned on them? :?

There's one waypoint in Adelaide near a fire station, which now has a bloody great camera looking along the sidewalk to where the cache is very well hidden! And the one near Festival Theatre (itself patolled), barely 50m from a very well guarded and patrolled Parliment House. I was waiting for the bullet on that one.. the cameras which I'm sure where around were then the least of my worries.