GPS Reciever Poll

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

What type of GPSr do you use for geocaching?

Garmin
62%
Magellan
30%
Lowerance
1%
A brand that no-one has heard of?
1%
A combination of brands?
5%

Total votes: 138

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

DiscoverAus

Post by maccamob » 24 August 03 7:30 pm

The DiscoverAus maps are very good - quite a bit more detail than the earlier Mapsend product - and you get all of Australia on one CD. The Mapsends were sold state by state and were much more expensive. Some users have been reporting a problem with 'lag' - displayed position on the map taking a long time to update when on the move. Haven't experienced the problem myself. You can read about it on the Magellan Meridian forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/magellan_meridian/ . Search the archives for DiscoverAus, DAST, and/or lag. Magellan Australia are aware of the problem and trying to find a fix, but the work has to be done in USA where the Aus map data was compiled into the Magellan software.

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Garmin GPS V

Post by bigmickb » 25 August 03 1:59 pm

Having quickly skimmed over all the other reports, I appear to be the only one using a Garmin GPS V. I'm also using Mapsource City Navigator Australia mapping software which is fine. Together the two can do street routing similar to the Garmin GPS Pilot, but you also have the handheld functionality. The mapping software only focuses on the capitals and major cities, but it has all the highways and turnoffs in between. I like it!

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 21 September 03 2:14 pm

I use an eTrex which I bought pretty cheap in the US (got to love the strong aussie $ :) )

Before that I borrowed my managers GPSII+ with external antena..

Almost bought the Garmin iQue palm/GPS unit...

ToolkiT

Re: NAVMAN GPS

Post by ToolkiT » 21 September 03 2:15 pm

swampgecko wrote:Has anyone ever heard of NAVMAN GPS? they are a NZ based company but I do know that they get their boards made here in Australia.<P>http://www.navman.com/
Heard of them... I believe they are about to launch a palm OS app. for GPS mapping...

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 18 October 03 1:50 am

The Bronze Team uses now a Garmin eTrex and previously a Magellan Pioneer. The pioneer is antequated and with only two decimal places narrows the area to about 10 meters radius.

The eTrex is magic in comparison bearing in mind it is much newer. I borrowed team '80' Garmin V for a week or so and it sold me into the Garmin camp but still I'd be happy using either.

mrg

Post by mrg » 26 October 03 3:37 am

I have been using a Garmin Etrex for about 3 years and found the unit great! I then came across a fellow cacher using a Megellan and was very impressed! I have since upgraded to the Platinum! Very cool features, especially love the compass and mapping!

MRG

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 01 December 04 9:03 pm

maccamob wrote:
zijerfex wrote: ... The only gripe I have with it is that the electronic compass occacionally flips 180 degrees and you can't get it back without doing a hard reset and losing all the data.
That does happen sometimes with the Platinum, and it seems to be more likely when the batteries are getting down a bit. Before you do that reset though, try using Menu/Setup/Compass Orient. to switch to GPS Course, then again to switch back to Magnetic North. That will generally fix the problem without having to reset.
It dosnt happen any more, firmware fixed.

I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum and love it!!!
I had a go of some of the Garmin units at JA-GPS before I bought this unit and didnt really like them.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 01 December 04 9:30 pm

I use a Garmin Geko mainly because it was available at the right price and I had zero experiance when I got it + it was small for hiking. I'v since borrowed a mates GPS12XL and wile it had good functions it was very slugish in responce times. I saw one other teams Magelin (I think) and it was a massive thing that looked like somthing from Ghost busters. One day I'l find out why I guess :? . I noted someone selling a Cobra GPSr on ebay with claimed 18 ch reception but then thats ebay. Given Uniden are starting to sell GPSr imbeded products in Aussie may be we'l see more of these to come.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 01 December 04 9:40 pm

Magelin (I think) and it was a massive thing that looked like somthing from Ghost busters
Buddy, you can start a war with a comment like that! :(
Magellan (the real deal) vs Garmin (tha players)... :twisted: :twisted:

Geof

Post by Geof » 01 December 04 10:13 pm

Buddy, you can start a war with a comment like that!
Hows that! Your read my mind. I was going to say "like somthing for detecting WMDs" but held back :lol: :lol:

I'm sure there must be some good reason for the size :?

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 01 December 04 10:27 pm

I had acctually wasted my time writing a nice big reply about Magellan vs Garmin but since you Garmin people are already 'a bottle short of a six pack' I dont think you would understand....

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 01 December 04 10:36 pm

Mine doesn't fit into any answers in the poll:

Vito Navigator II running on Pocket PC + Ozi Explorer CE

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 December 04 10:44 pm

Legend Colour

ving

Post by ving » 02 December 04 1:35 pm

this forum needs a "quick reply" section...

I am using currently a magellan gps companion attached to me palm pilot. seems to do the job, but I am only new to this...

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 02 December 04 2:34 pm

ving wrote:this forum needs a "quick reply" section...

I am using currently a magellan gps companion attached to me palm pilot. seems to do the job, but I am only new to this...
Does the GPS get powered from the palm or does it have its own power?
Whats the battery life for the unit like(Palm + GPS)?