GPS Reciever Poll

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

What type of GPSr do you use for geocaching?

Garmin
62%
Magellan
30%
Lowerance
1%
A brand that no-one has heard of?
1%
A combination of brands?
5%

Total votes: 138

pyrenees kid
Site Admin

Post by pyrenees kid » 01 July 03 8:03 pm

GeoJo wrote:Can the poll be adjusted to individual models of GPS, or will that be too complicated?
Cant do that now Jo as you can only vote once therefore we cant vote on the new selections.
The best thing to do is start a new poll for garmin users.
Becareful when buying a GPS from overseas espesially if its a mapping one. My Vista was bought from USA and it is impossible to put our base maps in it now.
I now have the mapsource but that means I cant view a map bigger thatn 3klm.
It isnt a prob for me. It is a far cry from my old Mag320.

PK

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 01 July 03 11:16 pm

that's intertesting. I have mapsource in my eMap and can go out to 1200 Km - sufficient to cover Melbourne to Darwin.

pyrenees kid
Site Admin

Post by pyrenees kid » 02 July 03 6:39 pm

riblit wrote:that's intertesting. I have mapsource in my eMap and can go out to 1200 Km - sufficient to cover Melbourne to Darwin.
Yes but i dont have our base map. Its the USA one.

Jedda

Post by Jedda » 08 July 03 7:56 pm

Started with a Garmin 12, but now have a meridian platinum. Gotta say, I had no idea how many techno geeks were out there till I pre-ordered my meriplat(about 3months before they were due for release), the store that I ordered through had a stuff up and my order didnt go through for a month(so only 2 months before release). Because of that stuff up, I missed out on getting a unit from the 1st shipment of 1000 units :shock: . And I thought Id be one of only a handful to have one at 1st :lol:

maccamob
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 08 July 03 9:58 pm

I'd agree with that. We bought our Plat in Melbourne late April last year - one of the first four the dealer had. One went to someone who pre-ordered, and two to the Police for trial. We were lucky to get the last one after reading about them on the web and ringing up to see if they had any.

GeoQuacks
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by GeoQuacks » 20 July 03 12:07 am

WeÂ’ve got a Garmin GPS12. It was bought mainly based on price and it had some features that the base eTrex didnÂ’t. IÂ’ve since built a combination data and power cable. I get power via a socket on the cable from a 240-volt switched power pack when home and a 12-volt cigarette lighter adaptor in the car.

twoball

poll

Post by twoball » 04 August 03 5:36 pm

I use a magellan 310,not just for geocaching but a variety of interests-gold detecting,fishing and geocaching.

zijerfex
100 or more tracks walked

Post by zijerfex » 05 August 03 8:57 pm

I have a Magellan Platinum. Very happy with it. Uploaded Aussie basemap and works beautifully. Haven't gone for the street level mapping yet - haven't been able to justify the cost. The only gripe I have with it is that the electronic compass occacionally flips 180 degrees and you can't get it back without doing a hard reset and losing all the data. Get used to it though - just walk the opposite way its telling you too :D

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 05 August 03 9:34 pm

zijerfex wrote: ... The only gripe I have with it is that the electronic compass occacionally flips 180 degrees and you can't get it back without doing a hard reset and losing all the data.
That does happen sometimes with the Platinum, and it seems to be more likely when the batteries are getting down a bit. Before you do that reset though, try using Menu/Setup/Compass Orient. to switch to GPS Course, then again to switch back to Magnetic North. That will generally fix the problem without having to reset.

zijerfex

Post by zijerfex » 05 August 03 9:38 pm

I've tried that a number of times but with no success. And it seems random based on whethter the batteries are low or relatively fresh. I just have to make sure I have my SD card with me whenever I'm in the field just in case.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

NAVMAN GPS

Post by swampgecko » 19 August 03 8:21 pm

Has anyone ever heard of NAVMAN GPS? they are a NZ based company but I do know that they get their boards made here in Australia.<P>http://www.navman.com/

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Re: NAVMAN GPS

Post by alex » 19 August 03 11:38 pm

swampgecko wrote:Has anyone ever heard of NAVMAN GPS? they are a NZ based company but I do know that they get their boards made here in Australia.<P>http://www.navman.com/
I have heard of them in the Marine GPS field. However I note on their website they also do PDA add-ons - this is a rapidly expanding area and I'm not sure whether it is lots of makers entering the market or lots of distributors selling the same product under different brand names.

I will contact them for more info.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: NAVMAN GPS

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 20 August 03 9:51 am

swampgecko wrote:Has anyone ever heard of NAVMAN GPS? they are a NZ based company but I do know that they get their boards made here in Australia.<P>http://www.navman.com/
As the token Kiwi (in training), I can contribute here!

Most of their stuff gets built in NZ, in fact about 5km from where I'm sitting, although there's a couple of boards done in Oz.

A mate of mine in Sydney, Gavin Maxwell, is writing Palm applications for them to allow voice directions from your PDA that's connected to their GPS via Bluetooth or cable. I reckon they'll be the next Garmin, with all the neat stuff they have in the pipeline.

koolkoalas

Magellan Maps....

Post by koolkoalas » 24 August 03 6:55 pm

We've returned to Oz from the USA and as yet don't have any Australian base maps for our Magellan.
Where can you get them at a good price? Are the Discover AUS ones good?

Claire