Geocachers disease

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Geocachers disease

Post by Webguy » 29 March 05 10:13 pm

A few weeks ago, 4 intrepid geocachers set out for a pretty full on day.

1 week or so later, they ALL start coming out in blister type "bites", that are as itchy as hell, if broken are horrible fluid filled things that then wheep and go crusty.

On legs, arms, torso, and some have them in places I don't want to even talk about, let alone visialize.

What the hell is this? A new disease? Geocachers disease?

In all seriousness, we are at a loss as to what this is, with the exception of one who picked up some ticks (perhaps) none of us noticed any crawling things, and NO, we did not check each other OK!!

The "heads" are small to medium looking blister type heads, very itchy, and eventually go away and leave a red mark.

Nasty things. We have been trying to figure out a potential spot for the irritation, and we figure that Over the wall was the likely spot, we did a pretty serious scrub bash back from that and were the worse for wear from that one, but, it's so strange it has taken so long to appear.

Anybody experienced anything similar?

belken

Post by belken » 29 March 05 10:21 pm

I also come out in little blisters for two reasons.

One is a type of sun damage. This is mainly below sleeve length when I forget to apply sunscreen. It has eventuated from years of sun exposure. I mainly get it when I hang the arm out the window without covering up. My skin reacts with small blisters

The second thing is Grevillea. The plant produces the exact symptoms that you describe. Normally comes from brushing against the plan. It leaves small itchy blisters ie pinhead.

I would also mention I am allergic to Tics but none of this stops me from getting out in the bush at every opportunity.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 March 05 10:47 pm

You must have different grevilleas in Perth than when I lived near Sydney. Had heaps in the garden and was always pruning them with no ill effects. Though you do have those nice yellow ones over west which we didn't seem to get east.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 29 March 05 11:05 pm

Flora of Australia, Volume 17A page 12
"Some Grevillea species and hybrids are known to cause contact dermatitis in susceptible induviduals, the severity of the reaction varying widely. ..."

Could be a possible link, but all being affected seems unusual. Time for some controlled studies...anyone want to earn a PhD in "Dermatological Effects of Native Vegetation on Spatially Aware Adventurers"

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 29 March 05 11:10 pm

And also the time period before symptoms started to appear.

GEK
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GEK » 30 March 05 12:38 am

Chicken pox?

Which brings me to a more pertinent question - why the hell are you asking us? Perhaps a trip to the doctor is warranted.

GEK

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 30 March 05 12:43 am

I think GEK could be right... It sounds very much like chicken-pox...

Check it out with the doc... Only one of you need go to save money :lol:

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 30 March 05 2:33 am

could also be hogweed.
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plant ... ua012.html

It makes your skin more sensitive to UV. Had a giant blister (15x5 Cm) because of it once..

Not sure if they grow in perth.. but there are definately plants that cause these kind of symptoms..

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 30 March 05 3:04 am

they sound like chicken pox to me- but those symptoms are symptoms of many different things. I sometimes get weird little 'blister like lumps' on my forearms....and they itch like billy-oh! Not sure what they're from- but they eventually go away. <br>
<br>
I'd go see a doctor- for so many people affected- its probably not an allergic reaction.<br>
<br>
Marie

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 30 March 05 9:00 am

Looking for a cache at Barrington Tops last year I did a fair bit of kicking around in clumps of grass. Next day I had bites all up both legs. Some sort of grass mite I guess. Very irritating. More like mosquito bites than blisters though.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 30 March 05 9:56 am

I've had chicken pox, and one of the 4 has been to a doctor who had no idea what it was. All 3 of my kids had chicken pox last year so I have a pretty good idea of what that looks like from the weeks that they had it, it's not the same.

The Rats
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 30 March 05 11:19 am

looks like the awesome 4some have been scratched. :lol: :lol: :lol: <P>Seriously Webby, I think you should go to the doc's cause I'm sick of scratching these bloody welts and while your there get your eyes checked cause your ability to find the caches the other week was noted by the other 3 members. :wink:

The Rats

Post by The Rats » 30 March 05 11:19 am

Can you get chicken pox twice????

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 30 March 05 11:21 am

I had something very similar to what you describe around my ankles after going somewhere. Not sure what caused it, but I remember the socks I wore still had canyon sand in them, even after washing, so I put it down to that.

I'd say it's not caused by ticks nor chicken pox, possibly a plant. It's probably worth getting it checked out at least for some closure and to satisfy the now growing curiosity.

- R

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 30 March 05 12:15 pm

c'mon where's the photo's of the dreaded pox??