Geocaching Australia Update misleading re: archived caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Geocaching Australia Update misleading re: archived caches

Post by djcache » 27 March 05 11:05 am

Archived caches:

The Cod Capital Cache by djcache (Mulwala)
GCA: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gck4t3
GC: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCK4T3
Has anyone else noticed one of their caches appear in a GCA Update email as archived?

My Cod Capital Cache appeared in today's update. Anyone reading the update would reasonably assume that it has been archived. It hasn't!

It has only been archived on the site which I never asked for it to be listed on in the first place, but the email update implies otherwise.

I think I understand the reasons behind setting up the GCA system, but I'm still struggling with the Apple vs IBM or Beta vs VHS side of things, and still don't think I beleive that division results in a greater good. I admire the effort and hours that they put in.

BUT They need to be careful how it is used and how it represents cachers who don't lodge their caches on it. Things like this just make me cross, not want to cross over.

How many other archived caches aren't actually archived?

DJ

Partic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/partic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Partic

I did notice that.

Post by Partic » 27 March 05 11:38 am

I noticed quite a few were doing that in today's update... many of which I was keen to try at some point soon!

The Cod Capital Cache evaded me when I was in Tocumwal last week, mainly due to not having a boat I think :)

Some others that were 'archived' appeared to be ones that had been unavailable for a while (Sculin' Cross Bones V2 - BB I'm waiting for this one and a few others of yours to come back online!!!!), while another was one that I'd posted a note to a few weeks ago (Fedcam - a BB 'other' that can't really go anywhere.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Geocaching Australia Update misleading re: archived cach

Post by riblit » 27 March 05 12:02 pm

djcache wrote:
Archived caches:

The Cod Capital Cache by djcache (Mulwala)
GCA: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gck4t3
GC: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCK4T3
Has anyone else noticed one of their caches appear in a GCA Update email as archived?
No.
djcache wrote: My Cod Capital Cache appeared in today's update. Anyone reading the update would reasonably assume that it has been archived. It hasn't!

It has only been archived on the site which I never asked for it to be listed on in the first place, but the email update implies otherwise.
This is all covered in the FAQ.<br />

The data comes from a data feed, updates to the gca listings are automatic. The logs for all caches found by Australian cachers will eventually get there.<br />
I checked the listing and see that it is archived on gca. This would only happen if the cache owner or someone with the rights to edit the cache listing archived it. From your comment above, it appears you archived it - is that correct?<br /> If so, that is the reason the cache was marked as archived.
djcache wrote: BUT They need to be careful how it is used and how it represents cachers who don't lodge their caches on it. Things like this just make me cross, not want to cross over.
You don't have to lodge your gc.com caches on gca. They will be in the data feed and be added automatically. If the caches aren't there, the stats would be useless. <br />If you list a cache on gc.com there is no need to do anything to the gca data from the feed.

ideology

Post by ideology » 27 March 05 12:13 pm

sorry for the inaccuracy

the reason is that the victorian feed got overloaded so the cache didn't come through and the system assumed it was archived. unfortunately groundspeak does not communicate when caches are archived, so we need to draw that inference if the cache disappears for a few days. most of the time this is correct, but it clearly wasn't in this case. we are doing the best we can with the data available

we are working on improving the feed. in the meantime there may be a few other victorian caches which we lose track of but we hope to get back into sync soon

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 27 March 05 11:01 pm

Thanks Ideology.

I couldn't work out why it was archived on yours but not on theirs.

No Riblit - I didn't archive it. That's why I asked the question.

It is sometimes wise only to ask questions to which you know the answer - but in this case I was seeking wisdom from someone else who knew the answer.

Thanks guys,

My understanding now is that this problem will go away of it's own accord, and I don't have to check it again.

IF (big IF) I decide to put my caches on GCA is there an easy way (I haven't read the FAQ's so if the answers there I'll go have a read)?

One of the reasons I haven't apart from disagreeing about the split is that I don't have the time to lodge caches and fill in forms on both sites.

DJ

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 March 05 12:40 am

I didn't think of the feed breaking down so looked for other reasons.
The listing will will correct itself in due course.<br />
Re. listing, If you list on gc.com the cache listing (without the description) will get here without you doing anything. <br /> If you decide to list on gca the procedure is very simple and is detailed <a href="http://riblit.geocaching.com.au/faq/#li ... re</a>.<br />
Are there any advantages? You may see some of these as advantages:
<ul><li>No formal approval required.</li><li>You can decide when the cache is listed.</li><li>Groundspeak restrictions on moveable caches, locationless etc. do not apply.</li><li>Virtual caches are easier to list</li><li>No restriction on the length of time a cache must stay on the ground.</li><li>No restriction on mentioning businesses (good for boatsheds).</li><li>Full gpx listing, including all logs, available free to all cachers.</li>

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 28 March 05 5:47 am

I have fixed the feed but it will now be less accurate in that it make take a day or two for your new cache to be listed. It now runs on diffeent days to accomodate the number of victorian caches.

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Re: I did notice that.

Post by Biggles Bear » 28 March 05 8:45 am

Partic wrote:........
Some others that were 'archived' appeared to be ones that had been unavailable for a while (Sculin' Cross Bones V2 - BB I'm waiting for this one and a few others of yours to come back online!!!!), while another was one that I'd posted a note to a few weeks ago (Fedcam - a BB 'other' that can't really go anywhere.
FedCam is still up and running. However Scullin Cross Bones V2 was muggled and I am just waiting for the painters who have been working around our property to finish before I replace it.