New Format in the secondary site

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

New Format in the secondary site

Post by swampgecko » 16 June 03 9:40 am

What do people think of the new format for the secondary site?<P>
I like the search engine bit, but not too keen on the rest of the lay out. at lest before you had all your found caches in a group on the page, same with the unavailable caches.<P>
Why change something that was working fine?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 June 03 10:02 am

I'd like the search better if it worked!

Try finding something by name; it didn't work for me...

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 16 June 03 11:04 am

Ha anyone else tried cachemonkey with the new format?

embi

Post by embi » 16 June 03 11:15 am

I've known about the new changes for awhile but had to keep my mouth shut about it :)

Any comments or critisisms post here and i'll pass them on.

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 16 June 03 11:17 am

I'm a mushroom..

Got a link?

embi

Post by embi » 16 June 03 11:18 am

Bear_Left wrote:I'd like the search better if it worked!

What did you try to do? Waypoint name or keyword?

The Rats
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 16 June 03 11:25 am

Red,
Here's a link to the secindary forum site http://ubbx.groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=t ... 6#37960736 Where the topic is shown. To find it in on gc.com go to your page and use the nearest cache function.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 June 03 11:26 am

embi wrote:
Bear_Left wrote:I'd like the search better if it worked!

What did you try to do? Waypoint name or keyword?
Keyword. Who remembers waypoint names? :)

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Re: New Format in the secondary site

Post by The Ginger Loon » 16 June 03 11:28 am

swampgecko wrote: at lest before you had all your found caches in a group on the page, same with the unavailable caches.<P>
<P>
Now if you are logged in you have the option to "Exclude hidden/found items from results". Which seems to work okay. I would've liked a "sort by date" option, but I guess that is covered by the "Sort by State option".
<P>
Also the "watched caches" feature (the pair of glasses next to the cache name) seems to have been removed, which is okay by me since it stopped working for me about a year ago... :!:
<P>
Anyway these are the changes they've made, I guess it's up to us to familiarise ourselves and get used to them. :wink:

The Rats

Post by The Rats » 16 June 03 12:02 pm

Not everyones cup of tea, but how do we now do a search on locationless caches when you have to enter a country in the search field.
I thought the idea of these was that they were locationless, not defined to a country.

swampgecko

Re: New Format in the secondary site

Post by swampgecko » 16 June 03 4:08 pm

The Ginger Loon wrote:
swampgecko wrote: at lest before you had all your found caches in a group on the page, same with the unavailable caches.<P>
<P>
Now if you are logged in you have the option to "Exclude hidden/found items from results". Which seems to work okay. I would've liked a "sort by date" option, but I guess that is covered by the "Sort by State option".
<P>
Also the "watched caches" feature (the pair of glasses next to the cache name) seems to have been removed, which is okay by me since it stopped working for me about a year ago... :!:
<P>
Anyway these are the changes they've made, I guess it's up to us to familiarise ourselves and get used to them. :wink:
Thats fine if you decide to go through by state or country level but I normally go to the cache list via the "from home co-ordinates" option on the "my cache page" and that doesn't give the choice of selecting to ignore found/unavailable caches. also I noticed that the locationless caches are now appearing back on the cache lists instead of their own forum/listing. WTF... I thought there was going to be a seperate area for those locationless caches.<P>
Embie just a side issue to all this, have they made these changes across the board? so that the premium members are affected as well? Or is it only affecting us non-paying members? Personly I think the changes haven't been thought through correctly, It is a radical change from a system that seemed to be working quite well. Was there any consultation of users to see what they wanted?

swampgecko

Suggestion

Post by swampgecko » 16 June 03 4:38 pm

Here's a suggestion for the site that you can pass on Embi, <P>
The old Listing format, with the date of last find instead of a time frame there, I can work that out how long ago something was found :? <P> The page selection up the top, that is a good idea.<P> The ignore hidden/unavailable caches selection feature be available for the "from your Home co-ordinates" selection. <P>And list the locationless caches back in their own area again.<P> and what's with the cross on the left hand side? A nice green tic mark would be better there than a cross to designate that you have found a cache.... or better yet a smiley face......<P>But we have to remeber that all these changes have been made to suite the lowest common denominator.... the average Joe Geocacher, who can't think for himself,

bmac
100 or more tracks walked

My thoughts

Post by bmac » 16 June 03 5:48 pm

These are my thoughts from my first two minutes of browsing.

You can no longer get a listing of all the caches in Australia on one list. You have to do it by state. I used to like checking this page see the recent cache planting activity in Australia.

Also, possibly a bug, but I notice that in the listing, the hidden by name is the user name of the cacher, rather than the name you put on the hide a cache page.

I like their old stuff better than their new stuff.

bmac.

bmac

Is it a bug, or just an annoyance?

Post by bmac » 16 June 03 6:11 pm

Here's a bug (or an undocumented feature) i have found in the keyword search. If you type the keyword and press 'enter', it does nothing. You have to click on the 'seek >' button for it to work.

bmac.