Caches placed while on holiday a no-no?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Caches placed while on holiday a no-no?

Post by Horus » 05 April 03 12:12 am

G'day guys

I just read the rules at geocaching.com and was suprised to see that among the caches listed as "off-limits" were caches placed while on holiday - vacation if your a yank. I can see where they are going with this, i.e not being able to maintain the cache, not knowing local regulations etc, but isn't this getting a bit extreme, what do others think? Is this a new rule? A left over April Fools joke maybe?

I've just done a tally and out of the 26 caches we now have in Tasmania, this rule would reduce our number to 14! Thank you Jerry, Animal Cachers, Licorice, D-D, and Ideology - but it seems all your efforts may be futile :(

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 05 April 03 12:24 am

I think it's another case of GC.com getting too big for it's boots. First they ban moveable caches because of "logistical problems" (whatever that means) and now this. Basically it's BS. In my opinion it's GAME ON and damn the torpedoes. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I really don't like the direction the folks in the USA are pushing the game. Time for local approvers IMO.

ideology

Post by ideology » 05 April 03 8:28 am

time for no approvers, in our opinion!

let market forces apply - a cache rating system would keep the standard up!

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

rules of the game

Post by swampgecko » 05 April 03 9:46 am

I noticed that "new" rule before too, about no holiday placement caches.
I agree with i! and loon in both respects of their arguements, we need to do something locally before the " controllers " try to take over the world....... well at least rule the game back into the dark ages... of only one type of cache allowed and it must be hidden in a hollow log in full view of your residence so that you can keep logistical management of it.......

Are they going to outlaw multicaches next?... I say to myself, "self shut up before they hear you......................." :evil:

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Holiday caches...

Post by leek » 05 April 03 10:37 am

I placed four caches in the UK, 3 of which have been adopted by a local cacher who was grateful for the additional caches and the other one in Chester is taking care of itself quite nicely and is my most visited cache so far...
I placed 2 in Austria (one of which got stolen) and 2 in Brisbane...

I don't see anything wrong with placing caches while on holiday and will continue to do so... OK, so I may lose a couple - SO WHAT...

Ironically - travelling caches are the ideal thing to hide when on holiday as they don't need maintenance after the original find and can be maintained by the last hider if needed... But as both types are now banned I guess that's not possible now... :x

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Holiday caches

Post by SNIFTER » 05 April 03 5:50 pm

The 2 Dogs place caches everytime they leave town so that would mean most of ours would be no goes. What a load of $!!!!
I won't stop putting down caches just watch for our next holiday excursion.
Just as bad as saying we can't put Timtams in caches. Roll on the winter weather for those.
I am afraid I get selective deafness and blindness. :lol:

pyrenees kid
Site Admin

Re: Holiday caches

Post by pyrenees kid » 05 April 03 5:59 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Just as bad as saying we can't put Timtams in caches. Roll on the winter weather for those.
:lol:
I wish you would hide caches near me......... Yummy! :oops:

Sandy Feet
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Sandy Feet » 05 April 03 6:14 pm

I also have no problem with placing caches while on holidays, I agree that it can be hard to maintain them unless you visit the area on a regular basis or like Leek and 2 Dogs have locals look after them for you.

However I do disagree with placing food in caches as much as I love Tim Tams etc, so do our native animals and the can sniff it out even if it is sealed in a Tupperware container, this has been seen at several cache where animals have chewed through the plastic containers. Our native animals dont have Tim Tams as their usual diet and some of the food that is left in caches can cause problems with these animals digestive systems and eventually kill them.

My 2 cents worth on the new forum

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 05 April 03 8:21 pm

I kinda agree with food, but it can be a regional thing. Some places are fine for the odd Tim-Tam or Freddo. From experience though I wouldn't put food in any cache I placed in Tassie, the Possums are relentless in their attempts to get to the contents of our caches, even if they don't have food in them! Finding a strong enough container to keep our curious critters out has been a bit of a problem, they seem to manage to get into just about anything. It also makes it harder to find the cache if it's been dragged a couple of hundred metres away.

In every cache I've placed I always put some "Extra Strong Tic-Tacs", not a good idea. Down in Hobart the possums ripped apart the cache container, and smashed open the Tic-Tacs, and as Sandy Feet says, it's not in their usual diet, so it's not good for them. Although I bet for awhile s/he had the best smelling breath of any possum in the bush :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 April 03 11:43 pm

I wonder what a yank terms a vacation? Is it outside a certain radius from their home? Does it involve being away from home more than a week. In short, unless the word 'vacation' appears in the description, how would they know?
I agree with Swampy etc on this, being told what to do by someone half a world away whose only claim to fame is the he has found caches in his own country doesn't sit right.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 06 April 03 12:51 am

Riblit mate... if they are like some of the people i know over here .....a lot of them won't even travel out the city, let alone the state to go for holidays. My wife use to work with a girl at Townsville who never went further than the next town 80klms away in her entire life......

ideology

Post by ideology » 08 April 03 8:29 pm

pesky,

alternate cache site: we agree, that's why we are developing cache logging functionality - see
this thread for details.

tim tams: we've just had an idea for the next ideology challenge:

keyboard: how's this?

SNIFTER

Timtams

Post by SNIFTER » 08 April 03 8:38 pm

Bring it on. :lol:

bmac
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Holiday caches can even be close

Post by bmac » 02 May 03 1:09 pm

How far is a holiday? For me, even 100 km can be a holiday i.e. if I stay for a weekend. Sure it may take a couple of months before I get there again, but that can be the same if a cache is placed in a difficult terrain. How often are you going to check a cache that takes a five km trek to get there?

I also like the idea that Leek used of having locals adopt the cache.