Aust's oldest virgins

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
belken

Post by belken » 21 August 05 12:33 am

I bought out the book to check on what we had spent knowing I might be in for a shock. However at the time of writing we have made it to Port Hedland. 1700km as a direct trip from Perth. So far we have travelled 6036 kilometres since the 4th August. We have spent $794.87 in fuel so far.

The areas covered are areas we have travelled through before and the fun has been getting those other spots that local cachers know about. So once you know how to get to the general area then the last bit is fun.

Having a look at this list and the plan we have to go across the top Comets Kingfisher and Julius are within cooee distance of our route.

There are a couple more that may be within striking distance on our return down the other side. .

The most we have paid for fuel so far is $1.45 per litre. Although those Coles and Woolies dockets still come in handy in some spots.

I don't think there are anymore on this list in the west that I would like to attempt alone. So we should organise a Connie Sue run for Plane Wreck. Nichols Nob looks OK but back-up in the last 15 k looks essential.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 21 August 05 9:15 pm

GCGPT4 SnowBound by Derringer (3/5)
:D :D :D My name is in the log book now lets hope my photos come out :D :D :D

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found

virgins no more

Post by TeamAstro » 15 September 05 11:26 pm

Well done to Belken. Comets Kingfisher and Julius are no longer part of this special group.

clear skies, Astro.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 September 05 12:39 am

You can see the Oldest Unfound caches here:

http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/graphs/index.php

Well, if you select a state or all states, it's somewhere on that page :D

equinox

Post by equinox » 08 December 05 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I am going to attempt to find Australia's two oldest unfound caches early in January. These are Queen Victoria Spring and Plane Wreck.

I will be passing these caches on my way to Perth so I might as well have a look whilst I am in the area.

cheers

Equinox

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 12 December 05 10:05 pm

equinox wrote:Hi all,

I am going to attempt to find Australia's two oldest unfound caches early in January. These are Queen Victoria Spring and Plane Wreck.

I will be passing these caches on my way to Perth so I might as well have a look whilst I am in the area.

cheers

Equinox
There's not exactly any such thing as passing these caches, they are a destination in themselves. Doing these at the hotest time of the year is not at all without it's risks, and they are substantial.

If you aren't an experienced outback traveller with good backup and communications plans it's potentially a recipe for disaster.

Northside's Canning Stock Route was a true accomplishment which I will never forget in all my caching days, but I wouldn't try it in December.

Dave

equinox

Post by equinox » 15 December 05 9:26 am

Dave,

I realise all the dangers etc - but I'm going to Perth to visit my family. I've always wanted to go to Queen Victoria Spring and the plane wreck is only 6 or 7 kms off the road which I am travelling on. I've had my eye on these two caches for some years now.

Eq.

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 15 December 05 9:14 pm

No worries. Some don't know what it's like out there.

Dave

TeamAstro

Post by TeamAstro » 15 December 05 10:42 pm

Mr Equinox,

I have been out there twice and it’s beautiful. One time I was lucky enough to be there by myself (both times before I started geocaching!). As Dave knows, we both did the CSR this year and can talk with some authority. I’m sure you know all about the dangers for the unprepared. In addition to the usual vehicle prep, make sure you have good comms (I use a HF via VKS737 network and also RADTEL – I can’t speak highly enough of both of these services). Look out for my article in the December VKS newsletter – re a bloke we rescued north of Dubra who broke his axel – he had no comms apart from his HF.

It is a great place to relax – june – sep are the best times.

PS – good to see you are into the explore oz site!

Clear skies, Astro.
(pending 2 caches for pub on the CSR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :lol:
See www.assa.org.au/geocaching for their details.

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 15 December 05 10:46 pm

Hi TA,

Would you go back in January?

Did you read the chapter in Eric & Ronelle Gards book about the Army Cadets that did it in Dec/Jan?

Not for this little black duck!

DJ

TeamAstro

Post by TeamAstro » 15 December 05 10:52 pm

Jan - :roll: :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

You are joking - of course. Heat, Flies, changing tyres in 50+ degree heat, no way. That's silly.
But I know you are joking... right???

clear skies, Astro.
(so how many tyres would you take in Jan Dave - 10 or so? ...and recon you couldnÂ’t carry enough beer then either).

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 15 December 05 11:11 pm

Mate we ran out of beer bundy and coke in May. There's no way known we'd have been able to carry enough to get from Halls Creek to Well 46 in Jan.

As for tyres you really would have to have faith in someone's product & maybe in a higher power.

The motorbike boots one of our guys was wearing desoled in Wolf Creek Crater on a day where the thermometer said it was 40° and the lizards were standing on tippy toes!

Me thinks anyone travelling out there then is nuts. I wish Equinox well in his endeavours and hope he travels safely. But I'd not be going.

The other issue is that I can't help thinking about in my line of work is that if you do get into trouble out there then someone has to come to your aid and it's not fair on them.

DJ

chewinprickles
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Australias oldest virgins-----Another one down

Post by chewinprickles » 16 December 05 5:49 pm

This looks like a thread where I should throw in a comment although there is another one running.
A muggle friend and I picked up what I believe is the oldest unfound cache in all states except WA last weekend. It involved a walk of over 27km and elevation changes of around 300 metres several times each way, so I'm pleased but feeling somewhat second hand. Was a great experience however.
Derringers Beyond the Cap is now found. Many thanks to Derringer for the challenge.

equinox

Post by equinox » 11 January 06 2:02 am

Well, I did half of what I set out to do. I found and logged Australia's 2nd Oldest unfound cache (according to caughtatworks website). Plane Wreck (GC5020). Good fun driving over the dunes. See the log for further details.
I failed in my attempt to find Queen Victoria Spring - maybe next time.

Cheers and regards

Equinox

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 11 January 06 7:40 am

Congratulations equinox. Too bad you were pipped at the post by muggles!