Terrachacing upsetting gc.com?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
dcr
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 02 February 05 9:00 pm

What makes the article worse is that El_D has an account on this site El_Diablo, but he didn't look into the forum to balance his editorial stance (Last visited:2nd June 2004).

Did anyone else see "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism" last night? There may be a solid trend being established in this style of 'Fair & Balanced' reporting in the Today's Cacher editorials :evil:

cheers Darren :)

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 02 February 05 9:13 pm

dcr wrote:Did anyone else see "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism" last night?
I did. I mean, SHUT UP! :wink:

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 02 February 05 9:17 pm

Dont get me started with that dcr. We have kept the thread going over at OCAU (Overclockers Australia)

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=346338

If any dialupers want to see the full doc then email me and I will happily post out a copy on CD. If you have broadband then you can get the cutdown version easily anyway (or the full if you look hard enough)

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 02 February 05 11:17 pm

ideology wrote:we just sent them the following:
WELL SENT...

Scout

Post by Scout » 03 February 05 5:04 am

aussiecoder wrote: ... And the yanks wonder why they are hated around the world.
What can I say? The opinions expressed at gc.com and todayscacher do not represent the opinions of all Americans.

ideology

Post by ideology » 03 February 05 7:26 am

yes, we shouldn't fall into the generalisation trap that el diablo did in his editorial

scout runs gpsgames.org and wrote this history of geocaching. we hope to work with him on some inter-operability between the websites once we finish getting the basic cache listing stuff going on this site.

dcr

Post by dcr » 03 February 05 9:52 am

Scout also offered to run the TerraCaching story on the gpsgames site. :)

<p>
I was also sad to see that
TLC's comments were killed over at Big Green considering the run they gave El-D with his magazine spruking :(

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 03 February 05 11:16 am

Bronze wrote:Sorry - Couldn't help myself :roll: Bronze.
But you where so nice! :)

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 03 February 05 11:24 am

dcr wrote:I was also sad to see that
TLC's comments were killed over at Big Green considering the run they gave El-D with his magazine spruking :(
<p>
The 'Todays Cacher' site has a 'letters' section that invites comments - perhaps that's a more appropriate avenue? Might be interesting to see if they run any Australian responses in the next issue :twisted:

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 03 February 05 11:35 am

Hi

In light of TLC thread being closed and edited I sent the following email to the relevant Moderator:
Hi

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to make my comments, but I not aware of any other means of contacting you.

I am emailing you in respect of your comments

"This is not the Today's Cacher web site. If you have complaints about things you see on that web site please take it up directly with them. I think that if you want to write a rebuttal and send it to his magazine than you would probably be able to do that and they might publish it. I don't know, and it is none of my business."

Whilst I have no desire to get involved in the particulary debate, I must however express my disappointment at your approach. It seems it is okay for the Editor of the magazine to push his views and his magazine in the forums, but if someone responds their posts are edited and the thread closed.

Power, in whatever form, should be used wisely. Power does not make the man, its use does.
.ers.

Regards
Andrew

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 03 February 05 2:19 pm

I refrained from commenting before, but us generalising Americans is no worse than them all thinking we are all like Crocodile Dundee. :twisted: :twisted: LOL!! <br>
<br>
But on a serious note- does anyone wonder why we generalise them? Its obviously for a reason. Me, for instance- I have met a lot of Americans- so when I generalise, it is with a background. I hate to say it, but people like Scout, (theres probably a few others) are rarities- I've been in the American forums, and seen how they all act. I believe my generalisations are based on something solid that I personally have witnessed.<br>
<br>
One other point that no one made was the whole Sept. 11th thing. From what I understood, there was a cache for donations active after the tragedy. Soooo- questioning OUR integrity was really something that 'El Diablo' should have thought about reconsidering- as I'm sure if there was a cache for donations after Sept.11th, that many people now have happy little smilies because of it. (Read: More than likely many of his own countrymen/women). Its okay for them to get smilies for donating to a worthy cause, but not us?? Hell no. <br>
<br>
My rant- not meant to offend- just an expression of my reasoning. <br>
<br>
Marie

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 03 February 05 2:39 pm

Team Red Devil wrote: I've been in the American forums, and seen how they all act. I believe my generalisations are based on something solid that I personally have witnessed.
You know it is interesting what our experiences are and while I would suggest mine is a bit different from Marie's I can undestand where she is coming from.

Ignoring the spammers in forums, until I got into the secondary forums which are moderated, I had not experience such school yard behaviour and I hang out in a lot forums (way to many) and in particular two very active forums, both with over 2,000 members each.

Until joing the secondary forums my experience had been positive and whilst my perceptions of Americans hasn't changed - I am still positive, my respect for gc.com, Jeremy Irish and some moderators at the secondary forum has declined rapidly. Integrity is not a word I would associate with a lot of the secondary forum or gc.com.

It is not a real pleasant experience hanging out in some of the forums at gc.com but it can be entertaining! :D

Regards
Andrew

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 03 February 05 3:02 pm

Perhaps I should have worded that differently, or placed it differently or something! LOL! <br>
<br>
My experiences are NOT just limited to the forums- I have had personal, IRL experiences with a lot of Americans also. This is what I use as a basis for my comments. <br>
<br>
Sorry for the mix up :) <br>
<br>
Marie

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 03 February 05 3:15 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:My experiences are NOT just limited to the forums- I have had personal, IRL experiences with a lot of Americans also. This is what I use as a basis for my comments. <br>
Same, but I find people behave differently behind their computer screens than in person, so I focused my comments in that respect. It was not a go at your comments by any means Marie. Sorry if it came across that way.

Getting back on topic, I suspect some of the more aggresive for want of a better word members on the secondary forums wouldn't have it in them to behave that way face to face.

Andrew

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 February 05 4:32 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:I refrained from commenting before, but us generalising Americans is no worse than them all thinking we are all like Crocodile Dundee.
No better either. Let's aim for something higher.
But on a serious note- does anyone wonder why we generalise them? Its obviously for a reason.
I have to admit falling into the same trap, but to not recognise it as a bad thing when it happens is ... there's no word that won't offend someone. When I saw a post from Scout, I was immediately suspicous of this person lurking in the forum, and I shouldn't have been. Lesson learnt. I do hope that others, having identified a way of thinking that is perhaps inappropriate, will also try to change their ways.
One other point that no one made was the whole Sept. 11th thing.
Sept 11 was a long time ago, I don't think the charity guidelines were the same back then. Doesn't make it right, but the hypocrisy argument in this case is moot.

It sure is nice not to have our words "minced" in this forum, unlike @

"Ground Image Speak" :twisted:

- Rog