Terrachacing upsetting gc.com?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 04 February 05 4:28 pm

Re: the closed thread on GC's forum ... <p>I did communicate (if you could call it that) with El Diablo via private messages. For what it was worth he never answers your questions and will only respond if I submit a rebuttal to the generalisms in his editorial ... of which he can edit and add a comments and I cant rebutt till the following month, thanks but no thanks. <p>
I forsee a lot of venomous editorials coming out from that rag in the future just to sell copies. The only thing he did put forward is that it was his opinion and he doesn't believe he's upset or offended any Australians. <p>
After reading his responses I'm not entirely sure he and Jeremy aren't one in the same person. Similar writing styles, one created a website for caches then turned it commercial and pay for use ... the other created a magazine for cachers then put it to print for pay for use. Do I see a familiar theme? :wink:
Anyway in short it wasn't worth my time or effort ... back to GA for my fill!<p>PS Welcome Scout ... you're always welcomed here as is anyone, even the lurkers . :shock:

ideology

Post by ideology » 04 February 05 5:17 pm

"today's cacher" shall henceforth be known as "yesterday's cacher"!

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 04 February 05 5:31 pm

Code: Select all

<chuckles>
mental note taken :lol:

Code: Select all

</chuckles> 

deaning

Post by deaning » 05 February 05 3:52 am

Hmmm.. a bit befuddled by this thread and read it all.
I married a Yank nearly two years ago and visited the place a year ago and it was a little different to my expectations. The government may screw the place but the people are generally nice. A bit like here.

I started geocaching for a bit of fun with my new toy very recently. Politics bore me shitless, but running various forums myself (totally unrelated to GC) shit happens and emotions run high.

I come here for relaxation, not confrontation.

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 05 February 05 9:04 am

Most yanks are OK when you can cut them away from the herd.

As a group they have moments of absolute brilliance (landing in the moon) and times of monumental stupidity (Guntamo Bay).

I think it's their failure to do the right things at the worst of times that gets them the bad reputation - this thread reflects one of "those" times.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 05 February 05 9:06 am

Welcome deaning - I'm not into the politics either although I do moderate at another and much bigger forum.

You and me, scout and the socketmiester - lets get into shouts together and blow the froth off a couple while we watch the slinging goin on.

Nothing better that to sit back on a Saturday night next to the fire and pie warmer and watch a pub fight over the pool table.

I stopped reading the tsunami thread at about page 12 i think. Could't be bothered.

Bronze.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 05 February 05 5:25 pm

deaning wrote: Politics bore me shitless, but running various forums myself (totally unrelated to GC) shit happens and emotions run high.
Hi

I would suggest that "politics" is probably not the right descriptive for what is going on here. To me this is about intergity and ethics and it started over Team Piggy's donations cache. The resulting actions on the secondary forums has highlighted other issues and really suggests, to me at least, a greater ill, focused on intergrity, ethics, control of the game etc rather than "politics.

As to American's as I have stated numerous times until joining the secondary forums I have had very positive collective experiences online, through work and through business. For some reason and I suspect it is the structure and ownership of the secondary forums, my involvement in geocaching has lead me to a more negative experience. Thankfully that has been limited to the secondary forum and even then in realitively limited discussions.

All that said, we didn't ask for the editorial in Today's Cacher! Nothing political about that.

Regards
Andrew

ideology

Post by ideology » 05 February 05 5:57 pm

Aushiker wrote:...The resulting actions on the secondary forums has highlighted other issues and really suggests, to me at least, a greater ill, focused on intergrity, ethics, control of the game etc rather than "politics.
if this is your opinion, why are you assisting their business model by planting member only caches? we recognise your right to put caches up however you want, justing asking about the business model side of things

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 05 February 05 6:12 pm

ideology wrote:if this is your opinion, why are you assisting their business model by planting member only caches? we recognise your right to put caches up however you want, justing asking about the business model side of things
I don't have a huge problem at this point with their business model, I do have some problems with the forums and their treatment of other sites. You see I don't have a problem paying the dosh as I feel I get value back in terms of what I pay for. I also feel I get value from gca and would pay for that as well.

Do I consider their behaviour and the behaviour in the forums so bad as to reject thier business model? No I don't, well not yet anyway. That said I am working, as time permits to put my caches on other listing services as well, so I am moving to support other models, but I am not rejecting their business model outright. To do so, would in my view, at present achive nothing. I am though not comfortable with all that goes on, but in lot of things, sometimes advocating a position from within is more constructive than out.

As to the members only caches, I honestly did not consider it in the terms of supporting gc.com's business model. To me it is about giving something back, a first shot if you like plus support (mobile number) to those WA cachers who have chosen to pay up the dollars.

Regards
Andrew