My kind of cache ...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

My kind of cache ...

Post by Aushiker » 01 February 05 12:10 am

Hi

Hows this for a hiking cache? ... takes nine days ... Gokyo Ri.

Andrew
[/url]

Bronze

Re: My kind of cache ...

Post by Bronze » 01 February 05 12:26 am

Janni93 wrote: (I forgot a sharpener, perhaps someone could bring one along?), to be left in the cache.
Imagine that - Getting there and finding a cache full of sharpeners!

It's got Gemany stickers in it - I'll sell the car and just flit right over - Uh hang on. No more holidays. Dam :evil:

Imagine the maintenance on that?

Bronze.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 February 05 12:32 am

Bronze wrote:Imagine the maintenance on that?
Bronze.
Scary thought and it needs some! It seems to have gone missing if you read the logs. Looks like folks are claiming a find anyway!

Andrew

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 01 February 05 1:38 am

You would, if I went all that way I would claim a find!....70 People watching this one :D

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 01 February 05 10:10 am

Aushiker wrote:
Bronze wrote:Imagine the maintenance on that?
Bronze.
Scary thought and it needs some! It seems to have gone missing if you read the logs. Looks like folks are claiming a find anyway!

Andrew
damn muggles - fancy treking 9 days just to remove a perfectly good cache :shock:

ving

Post by ving » 01 February 05 4:48 pm

I'll pass on that one thnx... I cant swim well enuff to get there. :shock:

... that and my wife wouldnt let me go for 9 days :wink:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 01 February 05 7:56 pm

I was in Nepal in November and as the total number of Caches in the country is 3, thought I would contribute and posted a Virtual at the Annapurna Base Camp. It was declined/archived and I got the following reason:
<p>
erik88l-r archived Annapurna Base Camp (Virtual Cache) at 12/27/2004

Log Date: 12/27/2004
Hi,<br>

Please see the rules for Geocaches posted here<br>

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx<br>

Please see the section on
Placing Caches on Vacation here:<br>
http://www.geocaching.com/about/guideli ... acation<br>

Thank you for your cache submission. Your contribution to our sport is appreciated, however I'm afraid that the rules prohibiting vacation caches apply to virtual caches, webcams, and other cache types too.<br>

Virtual caches do not require maintenance in the normal sense of the word, but because of problems we have had with some vacation virtuals when access to the location changes, the target of the hunt is moved, etc., we ask that the cache "owner" live near the location. <br> For that reason even locations like the pyramids in Egypt cannot be considered as a virtual cache unless submitted by someone who lives in Egypt or visits frequently.<br>

If you visit the site you submited frequently or know someone who lives nearby who can maintain a cache for you please place a physical cache. <br> We would prefer to leave spots like this for a local geocacher to later place a "real" cache. <br> Many locations like Spain, Portugal, Egypt, Peru, Malasia, etc. had no local geocachers a year ago, but thanks to the growth of our sport do now.<br>

Please also see http://www.geocaching.com/about/guideli ... addvirt<br>

Since late March of last year the site has stopped posting sites as virtual caches where one could either place a physical cache or use the site as the basis for an offset or multistage hunt leading to a physical cache. <br> Geocaching.com is striving to return to its roots of posting caches, not becoming a database of points of interest. The location you describe sounds like a good goal for a cache hunt, but a hunt for a physical cache.
That would allow people to visit your special site, but have a traditional cache to log as well.<br>

thanks,<br>
erik - geocaching.com admin

<p>

I argued my point that it was the middle of the Annapurna Conservation Area and a physical cache would be unwelcome and quickly become damaged by the extreme weather. There simply are no local cachers in a country where the average income is less that $200 a year. Yes it is a vacation Cache and I am in no position to maintain it. There is nothing to maintain!
<p>
This is the reply I got:<br>
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail. Sorry for the disappointment. You made some valid points, but the site is striving to return to its roots of being a place to list caches, not points of interest. For that there's www.waypoint.org. ;)

Hopefully you'll get a chance to return to Annapurna and either place a physical cache maintained by a guide, or find one to hunt placed by another geocacher.

All the best,
erik - geocaching.com admin

<p>
Another geocacher who lives in Nepal and regularly treks into the mountains for several days to check on their caches....
<p>
Anyway. It's currently in draft form on GCA so if we can list overseas Caches it'll be up soon.
:D

Image[/img]

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 02 February 05 4:01 pm

Maybe you just didn't have enough WOW factor.....

You really have to wonder, don't you.

Note, the GC guidelines should really updated to actually advertise the guidelines.

Their own published guidelines don't accord with the letter they sent you:
Virtual Caches

A virtual cache is an existing, permanent landmark of a very unique and compelling nature. The seeker must answer a question from the landmark and verify to the cache owner that he was really there. Note, however, that new virtual cache proposals are only approved if they meet the all of conditions listed in the guidelines below. The reward for these caches is the location itself and sharing information about your visit. Although many locations are interesting, a virtual cache should be out of the ordinary enough to warrant listing as a unique cache page.

Note: Physical caches are the basis of the activity. Virtual caches were created due to the inaccessibility of caching in areas that discourage it. Please keep that in mind when submitting your cache report.
Weren't you just saying that one of the guides has promised to keep an eye on that virtual for you? :wink:

Cached.....

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 02 February 05 9:09 pm

Lie. Tell them that your guide Lobsang lives just down the road from the virtual cache, walks past it every day on his way to the local Tsampabucks and that he'll make sure the national park doesn't move suddenly.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 02 February 05 10:58 pm

Only way I'd be logging that one is at home on my computer. Anyone seen the news about Nepal lately?? I don't know if I'd want to be heading there right now. <br>
<br>
Marie