What makes a good cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

What makes a good cache

Post by Chookies » 31 January 05 4:11 pm

The reasons why a particular cache might appeal are as vast & varied as the types of people chasing & hunting them down. Appeal is obviously judged according to our likes/dislikes, our family or individual circumstances, our ability to travel, or perhaps what we might find or learn when we get there. My family & I are still fairly young at this game, ( about 7 months in, & still quite low on the stats) The young ones tend to limit the speed, & “attemptableÂâ€

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 31 January 05 5:28 pm

[quote]I also remember visiting “A buried riverÂâ€

GEK
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GEK » 31 January 05 7:03 pm

Location, location, location

All else is just garnish - although some garnishes can be very tasty

GEK

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 31 January 05 7:18 pm

The location normally, but in the case of a few others that I have done the actual puzzles that get you to that point can also make a cache worthy of being recommended as a good cache, It all a matter of what YOUR idea of a good cache should be, some cachers like the quick find style of cache, the one that's hidden in the most obvious spot or looks like it was tossed under the nearest tree from a passing car.

BTW, this topic would be better suited in the General Discussion Forum than this area, as this forum is related to the actual website not physical locations, The title of the forum might be slightly mis-leading with that space between Web and site.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 31 January 05 8:31 pm

GEK wrote:Location, location, location
I have to agree and/or if there is a history behind the area. One that comes to mind is called "Dragons Lair" by Albyalbatross&wendy where we disturbed hundreds of bats in the tunnel and they where flying all around us. Also they was some history behind the area and the tunnel which made it a fun cache to do.

Dooghan

Derringer
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 31 January 05 9:15 pm

For Team Derringer it is about Location, the journey and the challenge.
A plastic box full of junk is not our reason to go to a location.
Numbers of caches found for this team are irrelevant.
The diverse range of locations, difficulty levels are a major attraction of the sport.
It welcomes all manner of people to participate.
A grade 5 terrain cache is just as important to have as a challenge as is a well thought out grade 1 cache.
May it always remain so.
Kevin :D

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 31 January 05 11:33 pm

Apart from the obvious reasons, caches that stick out as the best for me are the ones that have had new and innovative ideas which make the game different on so many levels.
For example, (Sydney) Caches like Achillies (back in the old days), Play it Again Sam, The Fifth Element, Happily Ever After, and especially Get Smart are more than just solving tough puzzles.
Some caches in particular have secrets that are only known by the select few who have done them, and that's really cool 8)

EcoDave :)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 February 05 12:04 am

Location, Location, Innovation.

Do an Oompas Cache!

My 2c

Bronze.

ving

Post by ving » 01 February 05 4:53 pm

location... as in well hidden. the views dont have to be greats but if some thought goes into the hiding of the cache its all good.
we dont want muggled caches do we?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 February 05 10:45 pm

I agree with most of the posts, location. Especially country ones, should take you to a nice lookout or gorge that you would otherwise drive past not knowing it is there. A lunchbox under a tree by the side of a highway isn't that exciting. But quite a few in Adelaide take you to parks or lookouts that I wouldn't have known were there.

But I also enjoy the challenges. Urban caches with a really good hide. The location may not be anywhere special but the hide is. Finding those ones can be very satisfying. Ones that combine both - Staircase here in Adelaide is one example - are even better.

And multis, I don't mind them. Solve the clues and find the prize. Even if some are a bit cryptic for me (thanks Zytheran :evil: )