Australia-wide Event Cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Australia-wide Event Cache

Post by Map Monkey » 31 January 05 12:39 pm

Hi all,

As we all know there are numerous Event Caches held throughout Australia primarily benefiting the larger population centres. I know myself i have tried to get to the last 3 Qld events with no success due to timings and distance therefore i have been thinking long and hard (the beer may help :twisted: )

My idea, tar and feather me if you think i'm an idiot, would be to see an Australia-wide event cache held to allow all geocachers to participate in some form. This would have to be in some form to allow every person the opportunity to be involved, time permitting......

I don't know if it is even possible (GC rules based etc) yet i would like to see something thought about at the very least, whether it be Australian Caching Day etc (i don't know :? ) Any ideas :?:

Do you think we could organise something....or is my medication wearing off :roll:

::::The Balls rolling::::

Regards

Agsmky

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 31 January 05 12:53 pm

A National Geocaching Day, great idea!
How about May 1st, the day SA was turned off? It falls on a Sunday this year.

EcoDave :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 January 05 1:05 pm

EcoTeam wrote:How about May 1st, the day SA was turned off?
They turned off South Australia ? :shock:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 31 January 05 1:22 pm

How about locations and stuff before the dates to allow the thing to be properly organised :wink:

Location will be the most important thing to allow people to travel if need be.

A long weekend would be good to allow long distance travellers a bit extra time to get home too?

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 31 January 05 1:34 pm

Agsmky, did you meaning that the event should be an activity that could be performed in any location on the day of the event to have attended?

Following the lead from some of the CITO caches; "You need not come here first before visiting your CITO site, just take a picture of you in the act (on the day of the event) to bring back when you are done." I am using this clause for 'CITO 2005 :: Victoria :: Westerfolds Waste Wander' so that you could actually participate in the event without being in a single location. (Although I'm not going to digitize the bbq!)

cheers Darren :)

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 31 January 05 2:17 pm

yeh Dcr...two basic thoughts. A single day to have an event which most geocachers can attend....therefore it w/should not be just like any other event eg Qld's Summer Picnic 2005 , Vic's Geocacher's Picnic -Jell's Park 2005etc. They currently are well supported and have a seperate agenda (which is great :lol: ) than uniting ALL australian geocachers at the same time in some way.

My thoughts are along the line of either a multi-event or better still, some sort of virtual event......that way if you live in the kimberleys, WA you could possibly attend :lol:

Any ideas along this line would be great :lol:

BTW i like EcoDaves idea of 1 May to coincide with turning off SA.

Agsmky

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 31 January 05 2:44 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Not quite unfortunantly. :D

SA == Selective Availability, the encryption that limited the accuracy for non-military receivers before Clinton ordered it turned off.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 31 January 05 3:43 pm

Interesting concept. I'm thinking of runnning a 5 year anniversary event cache around mid-May at the birthplace of Aus Geocaching - Lane Cove National Park.

Perhaps the 2 ideas can be combined.

- Rog

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 31 January 05 5:28 pm

The homebrewing scene has a worldwide "Teach A Friend To Brew Day". You register on the site in the US to let them know you're participating, then, well, TAFTB. Some areas hold larger events - for example, Canberra has a Big Brew Demo on TAFTBD where a few brewers haul out their gear, brew some beer and have a barbecue. Teach A Friend To Cache Day could go along similar lines.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 31 January 05 8:00 pm

teamkittens wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Not quite unfortunantly. :D

SA == Selective Availability, the encryption that limited the accuracy for non-military receivers before Clinton ordered it turned off.
<p>
I can't be absolutely sure, but I think C@W had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he posed the question.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 31 January 05 11:22 pm

I think it would be too difficult to try and organise anything nationally, so how about just a single National Event cache to take place on the day. To log the event you simply have to go caching that day, or find say a minimum number of caches or something like that?
gc.com listing rules permitting of course :wink:

EcoDave :)

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 31 January 05 11:47 pm

You could also make it that you had to submit a new cache on that day as well.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 01 February 05 12:01 am

Well the 'Clean Up Australia CITO' means you can claim a find from any Cache in Australia. You just have to submit a pic with you cleaning up in an area near a cache.

The cache has been on the books for a while and will be released in a day or two.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 February 05 12:17 am

I like the CITO idea where we all find a cache, clean up the location, come home and have a BBQ with friends all on the same day to celebrate.

One event with many attending virtually, just in seperate locations.

OR

Meet another cacher of the opposite sex, raise a family, hit 1000 finds, invest in an adjoining plot comlete with co-ords.

OR

Host your own regional event on the shared day and provide caching opportunities by each attendee host a cache for others to go find that day.

I like the first the most.

Bronze.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 01 February 05 7:54 am

In the above suggestion I think you should have 1000 hits before being allowed to raise a family. If you can survive 1000 finds and attempted finds without killing each other you're probably pretty well suited.