Sorry girls, you just don't cut it ...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 25 January 05 9:49 pm

So can someone explain why I can read a map better than my wife but she has to find the butter in the fridge for me?

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 25 January 05 10:54 pm

Oh how tempting it would be to say that anything in the kitchen is women's work :twisted: . However as i do the cooking probably 4 nights a week (my wife is a nurse) I won't say it.

elmofreak
100 or more tracks walked

Post by elmofreak » 25 January 05 11:11 pm

I think it all has to be taken with a sense of humour. I always pigeonhole males - they can only do one thing at a time - women can multitask - read a map, have a conversation on the phone and ferret out a cache at the same time ;) - male must stop and sit down to have said conversation on phone:P oh and the butter in the fridge thing... both my father and my husband cannot find ANYTHing that is right in front of them - butter or otherwise ;)
<p>
Then, there is always exceptions - i'm probably better than 50% males at reading a map, whereas perhaps a higher % of females arenot.. I do consider myself a minority, i was one of only 4 girls in my maths classes in high school, i was the only girl in my honours class in uni.. and then theres the guys who excel at english enjoy all the typically 'female' things.
<p>
Oh and my husband HATES caching..... and i love it... explain that??:P
<p>
Elmofreak

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 26 January 05 12:46 am

Team Red Devil wrote:Well...maybe I was a man in a former life or something - 'cause I do all the navigating- map reading, gpsr reading, planning etc in our house. Not that Scott CAN'T do it- its just he doesn't have time, and I know how to do it, so it makes sense for me (who is currently time rich) to do it instead. I've never gotten us lost, and I always get us there on time, and by the shortest route possible.
<p>AHEM!! cough ahem
January 16 by Team Red Devil (35 found)<p>
Well we were there, albeit a little late- we got a little lost- (I put the darn co ords in wrong, and it told us we had to drive 1660 kms the wrong way!!) Eventually found everyone, just as the awards were finishing. How could we miss them with that awesome sign TGP made up! Was a great day, got to meet a lot of cachers (and missed some too-don't know how that happened!) Ended up with me (Marie) being sunburned- AND I was in the shade! Crazy! We had a lovely weekend, and had been looking forward to meeting everyone. I think we should have an event every two or three months- it was great fun! And I have some brilliant ideas for one :) Thankyou to all who planned and made it all happen- we had an awesome time!
<p>
Sorry just had to post that :wink:

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 26 January 05 12:50 am

elmofreak wrote: Oh and my husband HATES caching..... and i love it... explain that??:P
<p>
Elmofreak
<p>You must be some sort of 'freak' hey Tenille? :wink: <p>PS how was the trip?

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 26 January 05 1:13 am

Okay TLC- One mistake - not caused by me- I was distracted when I was doing it- and was rushing out the door to take Rhi to the airport, so I didn't double check the co ords. Thats my story- and I'm stickin to it! <br>
<br>
Marie :twisted: :lol: LOL!! :lol:

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 26 January 05 9:28 am

I think it has a lot to do with were you place your prioritys and how you have been brought up and how much sleep you had etc. I know one male that is usualy a excelent navigator and one day he was honist enough to thrust the map our way and admit that "he just didn't have it today & could we please take a look".
I also have found the female factor coming into play but I suspect they were so brought up to do the "dumb blond thing" that they thought it the thing to do :roll: .

Ask your selves this: How many ladies do you know that could pull a car out of a slide as second nature? It's not that they can't do it it's that they just have never tryed (well most) or were told it's not the thing to do. I think this should be compulsary to get your licence. It can be done & can help avoid an accedent!
http://www.rallyscene.com/cms/A_30389/article.html
Oh & what gender is the navigator? Sure it's not like they havn't been there before but...

dcr

Post by dcr » 26 January 05 11:44 am

The Garner Family wrote:So can someone explain why I can read a map better than my wife but she has to find the butter in the fridge for me?
Ahh, now this is a different medical problem "Domestic Blindness".
I am constantly being told 'now go and have a woman's look' ...
and then I tend to find it :roll:

cheers Darren :)

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 26 January 05 12:17 pm

And now for the newspaper article with the alternative view (I think you have to subscribe to NY Times to read it though, so I've included a couple of quotes from it below). http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/24/scien ... ositionQ3D
In many formerly male-dominated fields like medicine and law, women have already reached parity, at least at the entry levels. At the undergraduate level, women outnumber men in some sciences like biology.<BR><BR>

Thus, many argue that it is unnecessary to invoke "innate differences" to explain the gap that persists in fields like physics, engineering, mathematics and chemistry. Might scientists just be slower in letting go of baseless sexism?<BR><BR>

C. Megan Urry, a professor of physics and astronomy at Yale who led the American delegation to an international conference on women in physics in 2002, said there was clear evidence that societal and cultural factors still hindered women in science.<BR><BR>

Dr. Urry cited a 1983 study in which 360 people - half men, half women - rated mathematics papers on a five-point scale. On average, the men rated them a full point higher when the author was "John T. McKay" than when the author was "Joan T. McKay." There was a similar, but smaller disparity in the scores the women gave.<BR><BR>

Dr. Spelke, of Harvard, said, "It's hard for me to get excited about small differences in biology when the evidence shows that women in science are still discriminated against every stage of the way."<BR><BR>

A recent experiment showed that when Princeton students were asked to evaluate two highly qualified candidates for an engineering job - one with more education, the other with more work experience - they picked the more educated candidate 75 percent of the time. But when the candidates were designated as male or female, and the educated candidate bore a female name, suddenly she was preferred only 48 percent of the time.
<BR><BR>
To quote Homer Simpson: "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." :)
<BR><BR>
---Megan

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 27 January 05 3:51 pm

- "Awe, look dear the children are playing"

Bronze.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 28 January 05 12:10 am

The (male of?) Garner Family said
but she has to find the butter in the fridge for me
Now this one is evolutionary. Women's traditional role in primitive society was gatherer, she can find stuff.

Man's traditional role is hunter, we can only see it f it moves but then we are onto it in a flash.

Unfortunately, the butter or socks or whatever it is doesn't move; therefore we can't see it.

Now I just have to work out how to get caches to move when I get within range

oznaturist
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by oznaturist » 28 January 05 1:02 am

Bugger, I thought it had to do with the fact all household appliances were dressed in white. :oops:
Last edited by oznaturist on 28 January 05 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 28 January 05 1:44 am

LOL, I so want to reply but I know someones going to E-Slap me if I say what I want to say :roll: 8) :lol: