Team Names and how you picked them...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Stargiver
Venerable giver of Stars

Team Names and how you picked them...

Post by Stargiver » 04 April 03 8:17 pm

swampgecko

(11/9/02 7:35:46 am)
Reply Team Names and how you picked them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok we have had the discussion on how we got in geocaching.

How did you come up with your team name?

Swampgecko in my case goes back to when my family was living in Townsville. The locals there sometimes referred to crocodiles as either "short legged green grunting swampdogs" or "swampgeckos" I loved the term so much I named my boat "Swampgecko".

So when it came time to pick a name for Geocaching, Swampgecko was an easy choice as I was already using it for chatrooms and Team Gecko for the family involvement.

Pyrenees kid Aka 'Wanderers'

(11/9/02 6:34:15 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Team Names and how you picked them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no idea on how I came by the name Wanderers. I have that many internet nicknames i sometimes forget who I am....

northern invaders GeoCacher

(11/10/02 7:30:57 am)
Reply Re: Team Names and how you picked them
We chose our name because when our team found its first cache, the 9 out of 10 people there who found it were from Canberra and Brisbane, and I was the only one born in Adelaide.

Slider and SmurfRegistered User
(11/10/02 2:33:11 pm)
Ours was another fairly straightforward one - Alison picked up the nickname Smurf at uni, for being the short one with a blue uniform ... Andy was anointed Slider after a particularly heated game of touch footy one lunchtime, but he swears black and blue he wasn't trying to take out the opposition player by the legs

Biggles Bear
GeoCacher

(11/10/02 5:40:05 pm)
We got our team name from the Mascot from the Park Royal Mascot (Sydney), a small aviator bear, which we had dubbed Biggles. We have a number of these as there was a period a couple of years ago when I was spending a bit of time in Sydney for work and being put up at the Park Royal (which was right across the road from the office). So of course we ended up with quite a collection of Biggles Bears.

So how did we get our name from this humble bear? Well when we completed our first cache “Black BeardÂ’s TreasureÂâ€

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 04 April 03 10:33 pm

We'd hardly heard of GCing when this thread was new, so it's nice to be able to add to it, lo these many moons later!

My wife Jessica (aka Mama Bear) opines that I'm a natural for geocaching; it involves the Net, electronic gadgets (I usually have a CPU in every pocket. Two in some...), problem-solving and bushwalking. And if those weren't enough, it also tolerates, nay, encourages, PUNS! In cachenames, in clues, in teamnames, etc.

So, as a paranomasiac from way back, I spent all of two minutes running through all the options on Polar Bear (another hobby of mine, see http://polarbear.mackereth.com) and came up with bear left.

It gives me an excuse to muck around with bear images, to put a bear on my hat (on the right, ironically) and to make polar bear figurines as 'first finder' trophies.

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 05 April 03 7:41 pm

www.reddwarf.co.uk

Need I say more? ;)
It's one of my favourite British comedies. A new favourite of mine is Black Books. You gotta see it.

aandm
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Team names and how you picked them.

Post by aandm » 10 May 03 7:19 pm

An interesting read of the stories behind other team names! Our name is very simple, AandM stands for our first names, Andrew and Maryan. :)

Team Galaxyquest

TGQ

Post by Team Galaxyquest » 11 May 03 12:26 am

Team GalaxyQuest arose from going out to our first cache and we didnt have a clue of a name to call ourselves. We popped open the glove box and out fall a bunch of DVD's (just bought from hong Kong) One of which happened to be GalaxyQuest. In retrospect... I wish something better had fallen out... :?

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Our Name

Post by hardunits » 11 May 03 12:41 pm

Our name has a long and undistinguished history. The members of HardUnits also play Oztag together for a team called Legends that started more than 10 years ago. A few years ago we started a weekly team newsletter, called HardUint News, which has now morphed into a web site at http://www.hardunitnews.com/ .

When we started caching we were looking for names and were going to extend the Legends brand. However, we thought it probably wasn't quite right. So we grabbed the name of our newsletter as we thought that sounded pretty good. We were also able to use the same URL for our caching website which can be found at http://www.hardunitnews.com/geocache . It is very new so be nice.

GeoJo
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

GeoJo / JoMac

Post by GeoJo » 11 May 03 9:48 pm

I've been known as JoMac since starting work, it became a habit to help distinguish me from another Jo and Joe who were also in the department. (JoMac is a combination of my first and last name) So JoMac was an easy option, but one I was never entirely happy with.

Whilst wandering around Adelaide looking for caches, for some reason I thought of GeoJo. Something a little different - a bit more obscure - and also vaguely similar to those G.I. Joe toys (although there's nothing army about me!)

Now I just need to come up with a cool logo like everyone else seems to have!

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 12 May 03 8:46 am

Some interesting names and reasons behind them.
Our name comes from our days when we known as the SES RATS. A number of other units around the state had nicknames attached to them. e.g Oberon SES is known as the Mole Patrol, Wellington SES is known as the Wombats and at the time we were heavily involved with the Police doing remote area searches (people lost in wilderness bushland).
Well someone come up with the acronym of RATS
Remote
Area
Technical
Support
And since then its stuck. We just dropped the SES from our name 6 months ago.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 14 May 03 10:31 am

Hmm. Ours didn't require any flashes of genius, fortunately! It went something like : Registration page. Team Name - ekk!! what to pick.
We have always driven Nissan cars and currently have 3 in the family so thought - AH Nissan!! No Go - already taken!! OK then one of our vehicles in a Pathfinder. Lets try that one since it sort of relates to cache hunting, if you turn around three times and stand on your head kind of way. Press the submit button and - whippy its ours. Naturally we had to go with the Team bit first since it sort of sounds like we might have what it takes. Whatever that is!! :lol:

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 22 June 03 9:01 pm

Astronomy has been a hobby of mine since I was about 8 or 9 years old. During the late 80's I got involved with CB radios (AM/SSB & UHF) & I enjoyed the challenge of chatting with others around the world (especially with SSB using skip). Of course I needed a "handle" & because of my love for astronomy, Stargazer was it (& still is).
So when it came time to register a name for geocaching, "Team Stargazer" was born :lol:

Lyn Pat and Nathan
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Lyn Pat and Nathan » 01 July 03 8:46 pm

We arnt sure why we chose our team name but we would love to hear from anyone that may have a clue to its origin !!!!

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 02 July 03 11:55 am

Hmm "team". That's a good idea. My "team" typically includes anyone who can't think of a good excuse not to come with me, but I think I got the name Ebenezer when Alistair called me that at high school.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 16 August 03 11:38 pm

SteelRat is something I've been using for years on everything from arcade games to internet nom-de-plumes (I think that's right, I can barely spell english, to hell with french! :twisted: ).

It comes from a series of stories about a futuristic crook turned reluctant good guy 8) . His nickname was The Stainless Steel Rat, which was a reference to the 'build a better mousetrap and someone will build a better mouse' theory of evolution.

I kinda liked the idea, and shrunk it down to just SteelRat. :P

PS: How does everyone get their icons to appear over to the left?

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 17 August 03 3:24 pm

SteelRat wrote:
PS: How does everyone get their icons to appear over to the left?
Look in your profile. You can set it up there.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 18 August 03 10:47 am

SteelRat wrote:His nickname was The Stainless Steel Rat
I loved those books (Harry Harrison). Was it in those books that people spoke Esperanto?