How did we get into Geocaching???

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Stargiver
Venerable giver of Stars

Post by Stargiver » 04 April 03 8:05 pm

Pyrenees kid Aka 'Wanderers'Posts: 233
(11/1/02 8:08:29 pm)
ezSupporter
It was Ray and Maya (Nomads) who got me into it. We hadn't even met before!
We were talking on the net, about fourwheel drives actually. Both Ray and I had Pajeros.
It was organised that they would call in home as they were passing through town. When they pulled up I saw the computer, mapping, GPS, all set up so Maya could navigate..............
That was it, Geocaching was explained and I was hooked. I didnt even have a GPS.
Over the next few months I purchased my GPS and the laptop to go with it. (well the GPS doesnt work without a laptop does it )

So how did other Geocachers get into Geocaching???

Derringer
(11/1/02 8:27:52 pm)
Re How did we get into geocaching
About a year ago I was downloading a software update for my GPS from the Garmin website when I saw the Geocaching icon.
As a bushwalker for many years I saw it as an extension of my walking.
We love visiting areas of Australia we have not previously been to, the more remote the better.

Kevin & Meredith

northern invaders
(11/1/02 10:00:40 pm)
Re: How did we get into Geocaching???
My uncle came down to Adelaide for my sisters wedding, bringing a crazy, yet beautiful, object with him named GPS. It only takes about 2-4 seconds to get hooked, huh? Found our first cache, then another until we had 10 to our name but my uncle had to go back to Brisbane, so soon we got our own GPS. Geocaching is great...takes you into lots of interesting places, and on bushwalking trails you've never heard of.

swampgecko

(11/2/02 8:11:54 am)
I, like Derringer, spotted the geocaching icon at the garmin website. I was upgrading software for worldmap and decided to have a look at this "new" sport. I thought about it for a week, as it was black christmas as well, we couldn't really do much. My wife then said to me that she wished to get out of the house and do something different. So i suggested "geocaching", showed her the website and we were off and running. Our first cache was AEIOU by snifter up in the Blue Mountains, and we have been hooked ever since.

We enjoy the sport as it can be a family affair and we get to visit areas that we never knew existed, or I can go out on my night shift and attempt those ones I have been putting off due to time or difficulty factors

My GPS was purchased in the States for the purpose of fishing, bushwalking and 4wheel driving. It has been in the boat few times for it's intended purpose but now spends more time dangling around my neck on a green strap.

Biggles Bear
GeoCacher

(11/2/02 8:21:51 am)
We've had a GPS for quite some time, it was purchased, by my wife, as a gift, with the intention of using for bushwalking etc. This has only happened once in the five or so years that we had it.

Then whilst perusing Roy & H.G.Â’s web page for Salt Lake City winter Olympic, I noticed a banner for something called GeoCaching. Being a little curious I followed the link, and knew IÂ’d finally found a use for that little black box which until then had just been a rather interesting piece of technology. The rest as they say “Is HistoryÂâ€