Okay, What now?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
gunnell&pandaabear
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by gunnell&pandaabear » 08 January 05 11:44 pm

so how about some guidelines, links or
assistance for the not so well informed like me?
What he said!!

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 09 January 05 12:11 am

Likewise

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 09 January 05 12:37 am

So how many will switch and how many will keep with gc.com?
I am all for our own cache system but not ready to dump the other yet.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 January 05 12:48 am

As I have mentioned before, I see no point in fracturing the hobby. I will still be listing any new ones of mine on gc. We have had a difference of opinion, ones only listed on the .au or any other caching site will get a lot less finds as it takes more effort to find them.

Let's all deal with the fact we have had a difference of opinion with the USA and get on with the hobby of finding caches. Having to troll multiple sites becomes too much hard work.

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 January 05 1:11 am

sorry, we're trying to do too many things at once and not communicating enough!

here's the situation:
- we have a moral issue with groundspeak
- for this reason, we don't want our caches listed on their site any more, so we archived them
- some other teams have/plan to archive their caches too

- most cachers have said that this risks fracturing the community
- we don't want to fracture the community either, but, sorry, we feel we as an individual team need to take a stand and at least take our caches elsewhere

moving forward:
- we are currently writing the final bits to list caches on geocaching australia
- we've just asked for feedback on prefered waypoint names because once we start naming waypoints, it's pretty much set in stone
- we plan to have simple listings going on approx tuesday

- if you'd like to transfer your caches here, hold tight for about a week so you can see how our caches go (you might not like what we do!)
- if you've already archived your caches on the secondary site in anticipation, just wait until you see them come through in the daily updates as "archived", probably tomorrow, then go to your "my" page and edit the cache to become active. it will appear on the new listing pages as soon as we write them. depending on the outcome of the waypoint naming discussion, we may need to rename the waypoint, but the logs and stuff will still be attached - just to a new waypoint name. if you need help, just pm us.

after that, we plan to start adding features to entice people to list caches on geocaching australia. the main feature that will be free gpx files of caches listed on geocaching australia

gunn parker, there is no need to switch/choose between sites - hopefully there will be a good selection of caches on each!

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 09 January 05 1:21 am

ideology wrote:
the main feature that will be free gpx files of caches listed on geocaching australia
Will your GPX files be compatable with GSAK??

GeoWombats
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoWombats » 09 January 05 11:40 am

Is it possible to recover logs from all of the major geocaching websites that have caches in Australia? Then we don't have to go searching all over the Net and can stay right here for good Aussie caches.

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 January 05 2:09 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:Will your GPX files be compatable with GSAK??
we hope so. we are working with other cache listing sites to develop an open standard to complement the proprietary groundspeak namespace. see this thread for a bit more detail
GeoWombats wrote:Is it possible to recover logs from all of the major geocaching websites that have caches in Australia? Then we don't have to go searching all over the Net and can stay right here for good Aussie caches.
we have a lot of logs from the secondary site which you can view here. try clicking on "Cacher" just below your name in the previous posts and you should be able to see them. one idea we plan to discuss with the other cache listing sites is mirroring cache listings and logs - after all, the data belongs to you, not the listing site.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 09 January 05 8:01 pm

Once GCA is up and running I will probably split my hides. 50% of my tradionals on GC and 50% on GCA. Same with my multis. Until GCA is hosting images I will remain placing event cache in the GC site. It loads and supports them well and I see no reason to change since we only have two or three events a year out here.

As I hide new caches I will be putting them on GCA and as the older caches become lost I will either replace, rename and relist them on GCA or retain the GC page but with a link to GCA where the finder can list them on either.

I guess this will piss GC off but hey - thems the brakes. I'm going to split the difference to what suit me the best and I guess in all truth I figure most people will.

I would like to Geocaching Australia up and running to suit the flavour of Australians and how we like to cache without most of the political correctness BS that goes with American Corperate Correctness. As for the "It will all be too hard" I don't think it's an issue. As soon as people get their head around the whole GC.com "this is what you can and can't do" then it's as simple as "Oh, did you know Australia has it own Geocaching as well, here's the site.

The Bronze.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 10 January 05 12:02 am

Hi

Could someone please explain to me how all this is actually helping the diaster victims [other than the actual donations/other relief efforts]? Seems to me they have been overlooked in all that has gone on around the place of late.

Maybe somthing to consider ....

Andrew

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 10 January 05 12:57 am

I was going to let George respond to this but there was a post in another threat that also relates.

I am not going to rehash the events leading up to the "mutiny", except to say, that now this has nothing to do with the relief effort going on for our asian neighbours. Piggy's cache is still listed all be it in anarchived form that you can still log against. Well done Team Piggy.

This is now for me, a chance to help establish an alternative cache listing site that is managed for aussies, by aussies to cater to aussies. Hopefully doing it in a manner that will attract more people to the new site.

I have heard in the past from various players grumbles about how gc.com doesn't really take into account the Australian way of doing things or culture. I have also made the same noises, even whilst as a reviewer/approver for the other site.

Ok so this is an alternative site to the main site... no one is forcing you to list caches or to log your finds exclusively on the new site.

I am treating the whole issue now from the consumer's point of view....
I was dissatisified with the product/service/treatment being recieved from the first company i was dealing with so I decided to take my business elsewhere. In this case I am bringing my custom home to an Australian venture, from an overseas one.

How many of you have changed where you do business because you were unhappy with something? I believe everyone has done it at one time or another. So why is it now such a big deal that a few aussie cachers has decided enough was enough and gotten stuck in to create our own site?

Some of the long term members of the aussie caching community may remember that the hosts of this whole site that you are currently using for your forums, have been gearing up for this for quite sometime..

gunnell&pandaabear

Post by gunnell&pandaabear » 10 January 05 1:30 am

I wasn't aware until the Tsumani debate started that there actually was a .com.au site (other than the forum itself). Maybe thats my fault for not exploring the site properly, but thanks to the debate I now know. I would like the option of finding caches that are listed on either or both sites, rather than just one or the other.

embi

Post by embi » 10 January 05 7:08 am

gunnell&pandaabear wrote:...I would like the option of finding caches that are listed on either or both sites, rather than just one or the other.
And feel free to do so.... :D

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 10 January 05 9:34 am

You know what the ironic thing is: If the tsunami cache were listed on GCAU to start with, I bet it wouldn't have raised much money at all because far less people would have seen it. <sigh>