co-ords not making sense

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hobes

co-ords not making sense

Post by Hobes » 16 August 21 4:13 pm

hi all

long time player, but not posted for a very long time.

hi. I am teaching my youngest this game and am trying to get her first hidden cache.

But all the tools im using Google maps, Garmin Origan 300, even my S9, all the co-ords dont match. when i pin point our spot, i use those co-ords type them in the Geo Cache and it keeps telling me i'm in some National park several hundred KM's away. i know im not there. im in the Holsworthy area.

im using WGS84 on my Garmin, S9 whatever, and Google Earth map co-ords.

what am i missing here..

Regards

H ](*,)

caughtatwork

Re: co-ords not making sense

Post by caughtatwork » 16 August 21 4:31 pm

Co-ordinates come in many different formats.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Coordinates
There are four commonly used formats for coordinates:
DDD° MM.mmm' - Degrees and decimal minutes - used in geocaching
DDD° MM'SS" - Degrees, minutes and seconds - used in general naviation, particularly nautical navigation
+/-DDD.dddd° - Decimal degrees, with North and East being positive, S and W negative.
UTM - Universal Transverse Mercator - UTM would be a better system to use for geocaching, because it's more accurate and, being based on the metric system, it's better suited to terrestial applications. However, even though geocaching.com lists UTM as well as Lat/Lon, very few cachers or waypoint management programs seem to use it.

If you try and mangle the co-ordinates from one format into another you might have to transform them. If you tell us the co-ordinates you're looking for we can try and help with any formatting (event things like the degrees symbol may be throwing a app or site off).

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 16 August 21 4:39 pm

G’day Hobes,

If it doesn’t spoil your hide, you might need to provide the coordiates here in the forum in order to get some help.

Coordinates can be written in a number of different ways.

Google usually uses decimals degrees when you copy a location from their maps. (For example: -33.955501, 150.946665 is the location of a park in Holsworthy)

GCA shows the coordinates in Degrees/Decimal Minutes. (The same location in the park in above is written: S33° 57.330' E150° 56.800’)

Sometimes things go screwy when converting from one format to another, or when copying and pasting from one thing to another.

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 16 August 21 4:42 pm

You have to be quick around here :wink:

Hobes

Post by Hobes » 16 August 21 4:53 pm

hi lads.

thanks for all the advise, turns i out i got it done.. i jumped to gun to quick to ask for help.

just launched my youngster's first cache, Legs11..

hope we haven't stepped on any toes..

again thanks for the replies..

H and M

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 August 21 5:16 pm

Everyone in the community is always willing to help. Never be afraid to ask a question.