Hiking Boots

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Hiking Boots

Post by Webguy » 02 May 05 9:54 pm

Well, the soles on my old pair of faithful hi-tec hiking boots is almost worn smooth, no grip anymore to really speak of, how depressing.

Did some shopping around, depressed me even more, just can't buy my boot size off the shelf.

Have been looking at the Scarpa ZG65's, anyone got a pair? Any comments?

Anyone got any good cheap places in Sydney to score a pair of those?

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 02 May 05 10:46 pm

Have been using Merrel's since the hi-tecs sh!te the bed a few years back.

Have trekked them all over SE Asia, and some pretty serious urban travelling O/seas as well.

Couldnt rate them higher.

(And I know Maccamob wear them as well !) Maybe thats a good hint... :D

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 02 May 05 10:52 pm

Hi-tec shat in ya bed? Hmmm, I've only ever worn hi-Tecs so I have no problems with them, but then, my pair I am about to retire are 6-8 years old, maybe more.

belken

Post by belken » 02 May 05 10:54 pm

We both have the Scarpa Trek boots but a friend has the ZG65's as they come in narrow sizes also. These were recommended to us as very comfortable boot however they don't last as many years as the heavier boots.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 02 May 05 11:01 pm

The Hi-Tecs I have now are all leather upper, the scarpa ZG65's are lower leather and then bits of leather and goretex material so I don't know how they would handle the wear, tear and abuse these all leather ones get and take, especially when it comes to rock scruffing etc.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 May 05 11:08 pm

Love the Hi-tecs I bought about 5 years ago in a Sydney army disposal store (one of the many back then down the Central end of George Street). Starting to look a bit tatty but still very comfortable.

Have bought a cheap pair here in Adelaide since that look good but they are not nearly as comfortable to walk around in. So the Hi Tecs still rule for serious bushwalking (or long caching trips)

Posspet Boys
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Posspet Boys » 02 May 05 11:12 pm

Bought Sito Tivoli's recently and haven't looked back.
Felt great from new and then wore them in to slippers.
No large hauls yet but they seem to promise good things.

The Rats
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 03 May 05 9:44 am

Webby, it looks like we are both in the same boat here, I'm looking a for a pair of boots to replace my fading Hi-Tecs which I might add have served me very well. Having had a good look around I've concluded that I'll have to spend around $200+ mark to buy something of quality. I think the choice you make depends alot what you really want them for. eg series bushwalking or a good dress boot with the ocassional hike. Talking with a few (supposed) experts it boils down to either full leather upper or the ever increasing combination boot which is leather, gortex and material. Apparently the combination boot wears quicker around the material/gortex areas due to the scratching/scrubbing of vegetation on these parts. Theres also the possibility of greater water infiltration with the combination boot.<P>I've found 3 good boots and are torn between which one is best. 2 Hi-Tec models I looked at were both very good. One was the Altitude range which is a full leather upper, the other was the Serria V-lite range. These were very comfortable, light and are a combination boot. The other boot was the old faithful Scarpa 'Ranger' boot, which is full leather boot and whilst it might take a bit longer to break in is a very good boot. I had a pair of Scarpa's years ago only to outgrow them. Choices choices.<P>Have a look at Aushikers (Andrews) review site. He often has a review of what gear your after. It can be found at Gear review

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 03 May 05 10:11 am

The FAQ might be interesting reading
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Footwear.htm

Although it is somewhat anti-boot :shock:

EcoDave :)

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 03 May 05 10:15 am

Love my scarpa boots better take better care of them then :lol:

I also use Teva hiking shoes which I get straight from the USA as they are heaps cheaper over there. They are fantastic up here where the conditions are extreme - +40C and hot rocks everywhere!! Not sure how they go in the wet as it never rains here. :lol: :lol:

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 03 May 05 1:07 pm

I shelled out on scarpa treks some years back and they have been good from day one. I headed out for frenchmans cap in Tas with them brand new and they were OK. The "soden lodens" may have helped :lol: but thankfuly they were dryer than usual (very cool place :) ).

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 03 May 05 3:45 pm

Well, went to Paddy Pallin at Parramatta at lunch time, only had one boot anywhere near my size, and it was still a bit too small and too narrow and that was a $300+ scarpa boot.

Still looking.

The Rats

Post by The Rats » 04 May 05 11:06 am

Found this site while doing some research. Once I decide which boot and what size I'll probably buy them from here. Their prices are cheaper than anywhere else I've seen and postage is reasonable.

PaganTrekkers

Post by PaganTrekkers » 11 May 05 11:38 pm

Gday,

Ive been wearing the Scarpa Sl's for about ten years and only managed to wear out three pairs. Excellent for the rocky terrain that we get here in the Blue Mountains. Very tough and hard wearing.

WJB