New Virtual cache.. TSUNAMI..

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 06 January 05 8:56 pm

Just got back in ... interesting to note that the 9-11 cache is still fielding 'finds' some three years after the event, without so much as a whimper on the gc.com fora. Guess it's OK for gc.com to support US-centric disasters, but not for the largest natural disaster in history. Bloody hypocrites.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 06 January 05 8:58 pm

Just one comment. Wether there is a virtual cache or not, we can still make donations. There are plenty of options. Maybe that should be the focus. To this end I have posted some information relevant to WA on donating physical goods. There maybe like calls in other states.
<p>
Andrew

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 06 January 05 9:47 pm

I have just committed reviewer suicide and posted a note in the reviewers forums showing them just how hypocritical they are.

Some who bagged Piggy's cache have logged "finds" against the "Donate Blood for 9/11" cache when they donated money to Red Cross.

Very interesting

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 January 05 9:50 pm

embi wrote:I have just committed reviewer suicide and posted a note in the reviewers forums showing them just how hypocritical they are.
You go man! :D
Asshats ! :evil:

ideology

Post by ideology » 06 January 05 9:52 pm

embi, can you quote what you said?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 January 05 9:54 pm

Be careful we don't start a board war.
Although it's your board you can choose, but do we want to be publicly flaming them from this board?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 06 January 05 9:57 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Be careful we don't start a board war.
Although it's your board you can choose, but do we want to be publicly flaming them from this board?
Is that a rhetorical question??? :lol:

I advocate mutiny and bannation on the secondary forums.. :wink:
Last edited by CraigRat on 06 January 05 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 January 05 9:57 pm

I just posted this to the gc forum. It might survive a little while before the moderators wake up in the morning over there.

-----------------

Maybe as it is the small hours in the USA this will get a few readers before the moderators close it down.

I agree a cache of this type does raise some dilemnas about some charities and not others. But imagine if the geocaching community got behind a cause. Worldwide. How many people, how much money could we raise and how much recognition could we get for our hobby?

I'm disgusted at the things some people have put on this forum about people profiting from death and only being after smileys. Makes me very glad I live in Australia. And even less likely to want to revisit America.

Perhaps you will be a little less rule bound when the forecast Tsunami or major earthquake drops most of California into the ocean. But some of us on the other side of the pond might remember your attitude now.

Richary

embi

Post by embi » 06 January 05 10:01 pm

Here it is!

I know that this will see me hung drawn and quatered and probably forever removed but I feel strongly about this and so therefore must ask why?

On 9/12/2001 a virtual cache was "placed" called "Please Donate Blood Cache".

This was "placed" to get people to donate blood and money to the red cross to help out with terrible tragedy that was 9/11.

The cache is still being logged. With finds.

Just a few of the posts that I read as follows. (Here is where I commit reviewer suicide).

September 12, 2001 by Jeremy (193 found)

If you can't donate blood, please donate to the Red Cross by clicking the link above this message.

The following few were logged as finds

September 14, 2001 by XXXX

I also donated thru paypal. I didn't think I was in the mood to do any geocaching this week, but I'm glad I found this small way to help.

September 19, 2001 by XXXX
great idea, done..

September 19, 2001 by XXXX
I am glad I got to NYC in my lifetime to see the beauty of that skyline... I consider myself lucky. I cannot give blood now, but we just made a donation through paypal. Great idea. God Bless America.

I'd love to see some of those faces now

I have removed names to protect reviewers who may have aliases.[/b]

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 06 January 05 10:01 pm

Well done Embi.

Double standards revealed. I can see both sides and understand the reasons why GC.com has decided to archive Piggies cache but...

I find it fairly hard nosed when what is a game with a strong community - honesty ethic cannot lend itself for some good. Yes we have done some good, what small amount could be done. We can afford technology, communication and clean water at a tap to shower under. These people don't even have a roof.

If I didn't know better I'd say Geocaching.com is funded by the US administration and run buy the military. Must be oil in Indonesia since they have troop over there helping out.

Governments and the public of many nations will donate. There are many ways to contribute but I find it unbelievable that Geocaching won't support raising money for victims.

I challenge them to prove me wrong and post a "Support the Third World" link on their home page! - Won't happen.

Bronze.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 06 January 05 10:02 pm

Sorry... but I cannot let this one go...

This US-centric attitude has gone on long enough...

While I realise that geocaching is about planting boxes in the bush, I cannot see that Piggy's cache was doing any harm... I have been approached by my photography club to donate, I have been approached at work to donate and almost every other site I access on the web is prompting me to donate - WHY IS PIGGY's CACHE ANY DIFFERENT...

I plan to create a new post on the US forum (and will post a link here as soon as I've done it... ). Hopefully some of you will support me by replying...

A rough draft of what I will say is (Yes I know it's inflamatory, but your comments are welcome):

I write to express my extreme disgust with this site and some of the very anal geocachers who frequent this forum. I and many other Australian cachers are absolutely disgusted that Groundspeak has archived the Asian Tsunami cache.

We Australian cachers recognise that this site is hosted in the US and the majority of the cachers are probably from the US. We sometimes marvel at the US-centric nature of the site and the lack of sensitivity shown to other cultures, but bite our tongues.

However, in this case, I cannot bite my tongue:
• I find it astonishing that certain geocachers (who appear in this thread) have nothing better to do than hunt down caches which may possibly fall outside the guidelines specified by gc.com and debate them endlessly with other geocachers of similar anal orientation…
• I find it disgraceful that groundspeak has bowed to pressure from the peanut gallery and has archived this very well meaning and very successful cache… In the 24 hours it was on the air it raised $6500 – that almost half the amount that the generous US president has donated!!!
• I find it rather hypocritical that Groundspeak bent the rules for the 9-11 Donate Blood cache, and indeed actively supported it (link to Jeremy’s log), and that local UK approvers were allowed the latitude to approve caches to support Children in Need and that we Australians are not allowed to have a cache that aims to support victims in our region… Victims of the greatest human tragedy ever known…

I know that your news is very heavily censored in the US (I know this by watching it), so IÂ’ve included a few photos of the human misery that you have turned your back onÂ…

Does it really matter if someone in the Geocaching community tries to prompt fellow members to donate money to a worthy cause?? Can you not turn a blind eye just this once???
Last edited by leek on 06 January 05 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 06 January 05 10:18 pm

Here here-

I'll support it. Tell me where to post.

They can suspend me as long as they like. I'll go collect my caches and go to a tourist information centre to find interesting places to go.

Bronze.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 06 January 05 10:22 pm

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... opic=87917

Well, I may get banned now too... spread the love at the link above...

Thanks richary for setting it up :wink:

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 06 January 05 10:24 pm

Gee will someone hit the fire spriklers. :shock:

Just because they have shut it down dosn't mean we can't log it and promote it & remind them of it from time to time. Some of us can't log this for some time but intend on doing so.

Couldn't we try the diplomatic response.

(No I am not a US citizen)

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 06 January 05 11:01 pm

EDIT: Wooow, I am so not continuing with this for the sake of being banned on the gc forum......

There has already been some unpleasent PM's.
Last edited by Lt. Sniper on 06 January 05 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.