New Virtual cache.. TSUNAMI..

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 08 January 05 5:07 pm

i! shared this link with me... I hope they don't mind me passing it on...

There are two sets of astounding photos from a relief crew in Khao Lak that will really bring home the extent of the devastation...

Click here...

In particular, check out this one

I'm still extremely angry about what happened the other night but have been reading all the posts above...

Still considering my position at the moment...

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 08 January 05 5:11 pm

embi wrote:Hydee was never one for archiving the cache but the noise being generated by so many others forced her hand. Hence the reason it wasnt removed permanetly and remains logable.

Three cheers to Hydee on this one.
Yes, Hear hear..

Now, that we all kinda know its still loggable (But more important) DONATABLE!

The cache has guidelines set that a receipt must be posted for a find.

I am recieving email from players watching this cache and emailing me every time someone logs a find but does not post their receipt ! (Which is starting to p!$$ me off).

So any finds without receipts 7 days after they are posted will be deleted..

Why is this cache proving so hard and problematic ! :?

EvilDan

Post by EvilDan » 08 January 05 5:50 pm

Just a different perspective... I found out about this thread today (thanks Piggy and 2 Dogs) by accident.
<p>

I don't use the forums. I don't live geocaching. I do, however, like caching.

<p>
I don't want my caching fun to be screwed up by a bunch of geeks having an argument over something that, really, is pretty trivial and anal (I mean the US whingers in this case, not you guys).
<p>

So if you're like me, and you download all NSW (or whatever) caches into your GPS and wander around finding them, rarely visiting the website except to log the odd find, it's a bit bizarre to find that your game is at risk of vanishing due to some petty arguments.
<p>

Remember, there are a LOT of us Joe Average cachers out there who do some caching but never visit the forums or website, in fact I have cached with 2 people who have never logged a find on the web, despite finding about 50 each. They/we download caches en masse, and automatically update our lists from the update emails. You'd rarely ever come across us, especially online.

<p>
We don't see all this bitching. We don't care about it. If suddenly caches are missing or dry up because of a few nerds with nothing better to do than get a power kick from an internet chat site, we'll be pretty disappointed.

<p>
To those who are letting their arguments risk ruining the caching game for the rest of us: get some perspective.

<p>
Enough of this, I have a cocktail party to get to. Maybe I'll become all obsessive when I hit 30, but till then...

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 08 January 05 9:15 pm

I am recieving email from players watching this cache and emailing me every time someone logs a find but does not post their receipt ! (Which is starting to p!$$ me off).
Are they bitching about those who log by "note posting" with out recepts as well as "smily" type finds?

Will you be deleting "posted notes" without recepts?

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 08 January 05 9:48 pm

Thanks for the patience and the reminder TP. I'll upload a copy of the reciept now. :oops:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 08 January 05 11:00 pm

OK, Lets not get too silly.

Point 1: The cache can still be logged. (I like this cause it gets more money for the Tsunami victims).

Point 2: Every time someone logs it (A find smilie) and doesnt post a receipt, I seem to mysteriously have email hit me. "They havent posted a receipt, they just want a find, etc" "Delete their log etc".

Point 3: These emails are beginning to P%$# me off, So hence I posted to the page, if you want to log a find thats OK, just follow the set rules. post your receipt, if you cant send it to me and i will convert it so you can.

Sorry guys, I simply wanted to help out the victims, but Sh!T what a cr@pfight has started from it ! :x

Point 4. If you want to log your donation as a "not found" or a "note" thats fine too.
The wowsers that wanted this cache killed have obviously put it on their watch list, and know everything that is posted. And will continue to complain anytime someone does not follow the required rules.

I cannot change the cache page rules now that its archived, so if all future finders follow the rules, no problems.

TP

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 January 05 12:42 am

Hi TP

Not too sure how long before the posted receipt will turn up for my donation, happy to change my find to a note until it arrives if that makes it easier.

There seem to be a lot of people with an agenda out there, not sure what it is but I don't like it. The US cache cops can all go and sod off to put it politely. As I stirred them up in the gc forum, wait until Caliornia disappers into the ocean and then see what their attitude is.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 09 January 05 1:01 am

Team Piggy wrote:

So any finds without receipts 7 days after they are posted will be deleted..
I cut and paste a copy of the receipt that I recieved when I made the donation, not from the email I recieved, is this ok or should I change it, I hate to add to the problem this has caused you.

gunnell&pandaabear

Post by gunnell&pandaabear » 09 January 05 1:43 am

Hey Piggy, when you get 5 minutes (near a calculator) can we have an updated total please? If it's already been posted somewhere else could I have a link please?

GeoWombats
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoWombats » 09 January 05 11:37 am

Well after a couple of days of watching the Groundspeak crap, I've sent an email asking them to revoke my Premium membership and to donate the money to the Tsunami Appeal.
I don't like the way TPTB have failed to support their approvers and I definitely don't like the censorship happening in their forums.

My membership was definitely a donation as the Premium features made little difference to our caching habits.

I figure that 10 months subscription money to the Tsunami appeal makes a bigger difference where it counts.

Donna

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 09 January 05 1:19 pm

gunnell&pandaabear wrote:Hey Piggy, when you get 5 minutes (near a calculator) can we have an updated total please? If it's already been posted somewhere else could I have a link please?
Have it on a spreadsheet, just need to do an update, maybe tonight.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 09 January 05 7:09 pm

13 pages and going slowing down a little - are we all over it yet?

I still feel tired. Managed to avoid tidying the garage over the weekend - Mabey Tomorrow :wink:

Bronze.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 09 January 05 10:45 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>I'd say we've all learnt alot from these recent events and maybe all a little wiser from it.<p>The name of the cache drew immediate attention to it on the US forum and thus a little covert action maybe what was required. A name that wouldn't draw the caching worlds attention to it could be the answer ... as also could be the idea of hiding the reason within another mainstream allowable activity.<p>OOPs too late someone else already came up with that idea around the guidelines.<p>Where there's a will ... there's a way :wink: <p>Cheers TLC

oznaturist
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by oznaturist » 09 January 05 11:45 pm

Chin up piggy, you did well.
We donated thru ADRA, which is my own organisation, so I wont be logging a find. :D

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 10 January 05 10:47 am

gunnell&pandaabear wrote:Hey Piggy, when you get 5 minutes (near a calculator) can we have an updated total please? If it's already been posted somewhere else could I have a link please?
OK.. The old excel spreadsheet has done its job.

Now all figures donated from overseas in different currencies have been converted via XE.com to Australian dollars to keep it in perspective.

At 10.15 am on Monday 10/01/2005 the tally of the appeal is sitting at: $ 9631.21