New Virtual cache.. TSUNAMI..

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Flyfishermanbob

Post by Flyfishermanbob » 11 January 05 10:37 am

Hello Australia ,

Many thanks from UK and Eire for your support in this recent debacle ...
lets hope that it will all end with satisfactory outcome ....
bite your tongue and keep caching

regards from Scotland

Flyfishermanbob

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 11 January 05 10:48 am

Team Piggy wrote:
Geof wrote:Can TBs visit this cache?
NO, I would prefer no TB's . (easy & simple).. Sorry, its not a normal cache like that.

I dont feel it is respectful enough for this cache to become as per standard caches.
Sorry piggy - That was an experiment to answer a question. I'll see if I can revoke the TBs travel papers..

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 11 January 05 10:51 am

richary wrote:I managed to get moderated. Cool. Maybe I will just delete my login from the forums 8)

CO Admin has sent you this email from http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... &p=1240451

Far be it from me to deny you your expectations.

Your post has violated the respect guidelines of this forum.
Per your request your posting ability has been moderated.

Now give it a rest.
Strangly enough I think CO Admin was right in this case, its time to give it a break. The point has been made.

The Four Bears
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by The Four Bears » 11 January 05 12:18 pm

My two cents (for what it's worth).

What a sad, sad day for the game that we all love.

I sincerely believe that archiving caches from geocaching.com will be detrimental to the game here in Oz and will only end up hurting your fellow Aussie cachers.

I personally agree with the decision by groundspeak not to allow 'charity' caches. If you want to donate then nobody is stopping you. I can't see how having a virtual cache is going to give any further publicity to the cause - you'd have to have been living in a cave if you haven't heard about it by now.

I certainly don't agree with the way the whole issue was handled by TPTB. Their approach seems to have been very heavy-handed and arrogant, especially the censorship on the forum. But that is not reason enough for me to archive my caches and cause a split that could be the end of the game as we know and love it.

If other cachers make personal decisions to list their caches elsewhere then that is their prerogative. I just can't see an Aussie-only site working out, for me you need a centralized location for listing and logging caches worlwide.

Every game has rules. Not everyone agrees with them. I have had issues with some of these rules just like everyone else. I have argued my point with reviewers at times. I have seen people say that they just can't live with the terrible restrictions being imposed on them when placing caches. I don't see how moving to a local system is going to change that. If it becomes big enough and successful enough you too will have to have guidelines and restrictions and what do you do when you don't like them, start another site? Will we end up with www.thefourbears.geocaching.com.au and www.leek.geocaching.com.au? Better to try to force change from within I say.

Donate, help out, do all you can to help those caught up in this devastating tragedy. But I urge all of those who intend to archive caches and 'break away' to rethink your stance.

Please don't make the great game that we all love another victim of this terrible disaster.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 11 January 05 3:13 pm

With 228 replies and 4763 views, this thread must surely be only second to ClydeE's GSAK thread (452/7457).
<p>
Have we done it to death yet? :roll:
<p>
Cheers
<p>
dak

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Tsunami caches 3 exist

Post by The Coffee's » 11 January 05 8:45 pm

I am quite confused about the Tsunami cache being archived. at the moment there are 4 caches dedicated to tsunami's.
GCJ1M1 - GCG9X5 - GCJKTO. and the archived cache in question. apart from this caches aim to raise funds for the appeals, it appears they all have one thing in common- The ability to log as a find, whether by receipt or photo or find. A am sending a copy of this post to GC.com for a reply.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 11 January 05 9:06 pm

The Four Bears wrote:My two cents (for what it's worth).

What a sad, sad day for the game that we all love.

I sincerely believe that archiving caches from geocaching.com will be detrimental to the game here in Oz and will only end up hurting your fellow Aussie cachers.

I personally agree with the decision by groundspeak not to allow 'charity' caches. If you want to donate then nobody is stopping you. I can't see how having a virtual cache is going to give any further publicity to the cause - you'd have to have been living in a cave if you haven't heard about it by now.

I certainly don't agree with the way the whole issue was handled by TPTB. Their approach seems to have been very heavy-handed and arrogant, especially the censorship on the forum. But that is not reason enough for me to archive my caches and cause a split that could be the end of the game as we know and love it.

If other cachers make personal decisions to list their caches elsewhere then that is their prerogative. I just can't see an Aussie-only site working out, for me you need a centralized location for listing and logging caches worlwide.

Every game has rules. Not everyone agrees with them. I have had issues with some of these rules just like everyone else. I have argued my point with reviewers at times. I have seen people say that they just can't live with the terrible restrictions being imposed on them when placing caches. I don't see how moving to a local system is going to change that. If it becomes big enough and successful enough you too will have to have guidelines and restrictions and what do you do when you don't like them, start another site? Will we end up with www.thefourbears.geocaching.com.au and www.leek.geocaching.com.au? Better to try to force change from within I say.

Donate, help out, do all you can to help those caught up in this devastating tragedy. But I urge all of those who intend to archive caches and 'break away' to rethink your stance.

Please don't make the great game that we all love another victim of this terrible disaster.
very well put, my sentiments exactly!

ToolkiT

Re: Tsunami caches 3 exist

Post by ToolkiT » 11 January 05 9:20 pm

Mr.Coffee wrote:I am quite confused about the Tsunami cache being archived. at the moment there are 4 caches dedicated to tsunami's.
GCJ1M1 - GCG9X5 - GCJKTO. and the archived cache in question. apart from this caches aim to raise funds for the appeals, it appears they all have one thing in common- The ability to log as a find, whether by receipt or photo or find. A am sending a copy of this post to GC.com for a reply.
I think you missed the point of the approvers.
They didnt archive it because it had a tsunami theme. They archived it because it was a virtual soliciting for donations and that is against the guidelines.
The other 3 are regular caches that have the tsunami as a theme and a bit of background info on why that area is interesting.

If piggies made it a regular and added a line saying please donate, it probably wouldnt have kicked up such a storm..

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Re: Tsunami caches 3 exist

Post by embi » 11 January 05 9:22 pm

Mr.Coffee wrote:I am quite confused about the Tsunami cache being archived. at the moment there are 4 caches dedicated to tsunami's.
All of those are physical caches....

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 11 January 05 9:23 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote:With 228 replies and 4763 views, this thread must surely be only second to ClydeE's GSAK thread (452/7457).

Have we done it to death yet? :roll:

dak
Hmm, I wonder if I can get a point if we pass his quota :roll:

gunnell&pandaabear

Post by gunnell&pandaabear » 11 January 05 9:28 pm

Piggy did you know your upside down?

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 11 January 05 9:43 pm

For the sake of prophecy it is worth the reading the article starting on page 4 of AUSGEO September 2004.

http://www.ga.gov.au/about/corporate/au ... ents75.jsp

The article starts with the words. "Small treat"

It could have been us.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 11 January 05 9:46 pm

gunnell&pandaabear wrote:Piggy did you know your upside down?
That must be the source of the rot in the other thread ... steenky piggy!! :lol:

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 11 January 05 9:48 pm

Slider & Smurf wrote:
gunnell&pandaabear wrote:Piggy did you know your upside down?
That must be the source of the rot in the other thread ... steenky piggy!! :lol:
:shock: Sir Pig-a-rot :?:

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 12 January 05 2:53 pm

This really is getting out of hand. I've sat back and read all of this , without feeling the need to add my 2c worth becuase it has all been said before but this has gone too far now.

Firstly, let me just say that the way GC.com handled the Tsunami cache leaves a lot to be desired. Their autocratic handling has put a lot of noses out of joint, and is in my eyes the main cause for the split BUT.... they were right. GC.com is entirely about geocaching, the game. If you want to donate money, fine go to any one of the charity's websites and donate. When you're done donating, and want to go geocaching, log onto GC.com. Their rules aren't perfect for everyone, and there's a few rules to cricket that don't work for me, but I'm not going to split off and form my own league becuase of it. That means that I won't get to play the majority and they won't get to play me, and that's a far greater imposition than a few rules that I'd like to see tweaked. The game is an international one, with many overseas visitors, TB's etc. Remember, this is a game that demonstrably better for everyone, the more players are involved. It is beyoud doubt that a split like this will reduce, not enhance the number of players out there, and the number of caches available, so why do it? Is your pride really that important?

Congratulations to Piggy for trying to do the right thing here. You're heart was in the right place, and it's unfortunate that some officious little prick from GC.com has interpreted the rules in this way, but at the end of the day, those are the rules and we all knew that when we paid our premium memberships.