New Virtual cache.. TSUNAMI..

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ideology

Post by ideology » 10 January 05 11:11 am

ooh, so close!!

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

re appeal

Post by binns1012 » 10 January 05 12:44 pm

Well done makes worth all the Shit that s been flying around eh !javascript:emoticon(':!:')
Exclamationjavascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 10 January 05 5:30 pm

Hi Piggy...

Not sure if you had already counted this, but my employer has readily agreed to match my donation $ for $... Although the CFO is not a geocacher, I'm sure you could count this towards the total as well... (or is that against the rules?)

Cheers,
Leek

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 10 January 05 6:06 pm

Can do, just verify to us when he has paid his donation.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

An analogy...

Post by leek » 10 January 05 6:23 pm

Soon after the Asian Tsunami, a player came up with a very novel idea...

He felt very sorry for the victims of the disaster and thought it would be a good idea if he and other players could organise a charity appeal for the Tsunami victims based on the game that they played.

The player wasn't sure if this was a good idea or whether it would get enough support, so he sought the opinion of a few other players and also asked the local authorities.

They all thought it would be a great idea, but thought that they should probably check with the international ruling body before going ahead.

Before doing this, they decided to flesh out the details and decided that:
- the game wouldn't follow the normal rules for such events
- the game would be open to players of all countries of the world
- all play and donations would be on a voluntary basis
- it's aim would be to help to raise the profile of the Tsunami appeal within the sport and also to a broader audience...

The international body was consulted and due to the nature of the appeal they immediately approved it and gave it their sanction as an official international event and even threw in some money to get the appeal started. They promoted the game heavily to ensure that all players and fans from all over the world knew about the event.

All the organiser needed now was a venue to host the appeal... Luckily a major venue (in fact one of the most famous in the world) decided that they would donate their venue for a whole day free of charge - they also donated the time of their venue staff to make sure that the appeal went smoothly...

As expected, there was enthusiastic support from all corners of the world and many players donated to the appeal.

The appeal was a great success and raised an enormous amount of money that was put to very good use by the selected charity...

Am I talking about what should have happened in our game / sport???

Well yes I could be, but actually I'm talking about CRICKET...

When today's Tsunami Appeal cricket match (currently being played in Melbourne) was proposed I bet the original organiser didn't have hordes of people attacking him - asking questions like:
- "What's this got to do with cricket???"
- "If we allow this then what's to stop people organising future charity matches for other minor charities - Where do we draw the line???"
- "How can people possibly gain pleasure from taking part in or watching this match ? Aren't they profiting from all those people's deaths???

No, their sport (and many others) saw that this was a unique event in world history and threw their weight behind it - making it a success...

What's the only thing that this story has in common with Piggy's Tsunami Appeal cache >>> The American approvers probably won't have a clue what this thread is about either...

I hope this helps some people see why some of us have been so upset about this issue and why we feel it necessary to take a stand against geocaching.com

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 10 January 05 7:05 pm

STANDING OVATION FOR LEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

Well put!

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 10 January 05 7:12 pm

Maybe - but the US didn't appreciate the analogy - the same post was locked within 15 minutes on the geocaching.com forum
Shortly afterwards, I received this private from the moderator Mtn-Man...

"You know that we have asked several times for people to please drop the tsunami arguments. You just had to give it one more try in the middle of the night when you thought all the forum moderators were asleep I guess. Well, I was awake.

You are now on moderated postings for the next two months. Maybe by then you will cool off. "

Time to create a new userid... :twisted:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 10 January 05 7:46 pm

What a dickhead-

Hear Hear Whoops (Sorry, was carried away with the emotion of it all) - I concur with leek.

EDIT: No not you leek - The other dickhead.

The Bronze.
Last edited by Bronze on 11 January 05 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 10 January 05 8:05 pm

That would be "Hear Hear" Bronze - now you can call me a dick head :-)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 10 January 05 8:08 pm

leek wrote:Maybe - but the US didn't appreciate the analogy - the same post was locked within 15 minutes on the geocaching.com forum
Shortly afterwards, I received this private from the moderator Mtn-Man...

"You know that we have asked several times for people to please drop the tsunami arguments. You just had to give it one more try in the middle of the night when you thought all the forum moderators were asleep I guess. Well, I was awake.

You are now on moderated postings for the next two months. Maybe by then you will cool off. "

Time to create a new userid... :twisted:
You keeping him awake?

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 10 January 05 8:13 pm

:cry: Oh what could have been..

Thanks for the little story (Fantasy?) there Leek. It certainly brought a tingley moment of sadness back to me.

Death does that to some people I guess.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 10 January 05 8:14 pm

leek wrote:Time to create a new userid... :twisted:
<p>
Don't know if that will help - another forum rule is no 'sockpuppets', ie. creating another account to avoid using your own identity. They'll probably match your IP address, and then you'll be banned for two 'offences'. Not good.
<p>
I did like the analogy ... probably too subtle for many of those on the forum there, unfortunately.
<p>
On a related thread in the off-topic area, I posted a list of government donations in an attempt to inject some fact into an argument about "stingy" donation attempts. In response to seeing evidence of Japan donating some $600m, a couple of posters responded by suggesting Japan should be retiring war debt instead. :roll: You just can't argue with deep-seated racism or tunnel-vision like this ... and a battle of wits with an unarmed foe is unsporting :wink: .

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 10 January 05 8:14 pm

Can TBs visit this cache?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 10 January 05 8:20 pm

Geof wrote:Can TBs visit this cache?
It looks like they can.

Make that a yes. One I had just dropped in for a visit..

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 10 January 05 8:26 pm

Slider & Smurf wrote:
leek wrote:Time to create a new userid... :twisted:
<p>
They'll probably match your IP address, and then you'll be banned for two 'offences'. Not good.
Aha... but I have many IP addresses as well :twisted: