New Virtual cache.. TSUNAMI..

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 05 January 05 11:00 pm

To quote a hero of American history..."damm the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" This disaster is of such world-wide significance that the existing standards must bend to the will of the many to assist the needs of the millions. PROMOTE THIS CAUSE INTERNATIONALLY ... NOW!!!

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 05 January 05 11:08 pm

alex wrote:To quote a hero of American history..."damm the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" This disaster is of such world-wide significance that the existing standards must bend to the will of the many to assist the needs of the millions. PROMOTE THIS CAUSE INTERNATIONALLY ... NOW!!!
Damn... I wish I'd said that!!!

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 05 January 05 11:30 pm

alex wrote:To quote a hero of American history..."damm the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
<p>
hee hee hee ... what he said :D. Nice one Alex.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 05 January 05 11:37 pm

I have posted notes to my caches since not alot of Queenslanders visit the forum here.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2028
Support For Tsunami Victims

Note: This notice will be deleted in a week.

Alex
aka Lt. Sniper
(SNIP)
Last edited by Lt. Sniper on 06 January 05 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 06 January 05 9:47 am

could this notification go out in the daily updates for all states for a few days?

ideology

Post by ideology » 06 January 05 10:47 am

good idea! it will go out tomorrow!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 06 January 05 11:17 am

ideology wrote:good idea! it will go out tomorrow!
While you are at it. How is the cache listing software coming on.? Some of the comments I am reading from other reviewers (who seem to think the world stops at the borders of America) lead me to believe we should be able to list caches such as this without offending their sensibilities.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 06 January 05 11:42 am

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>Cache listing works well ... although the only one in operation (test cache) has been out for nearly 2 months and no hits on it yet :(

ideology

Post by ideology » 06 January 05 2:23 pm

the cache listing stuff is chugging along. we've just posted an update on the cache listing thread we didn't publicise the test cache, but we plan to do so when it all goes live

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 06 January 05 4:21 pm

ideology wrote:the cache listing stuff is chugging along. we've just posted an update on the cache listing thread we didn't publicise the test cache, but we plan to do so when it all goes live
How about moving the piggy cache here then?<p>
gc.com are going to archive it...

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 06 January 05 4:24 pm

Too late, it just got archived. :( It's a shame for those with noble intentions to have this happen. I wasn't big on the idea, but I have no objections either ... I know when to bite my tongue (sometimes).

Looks like gc.com.au might have its first chance for a real au only listed cache.

To all involved, your efforts won't be forgotten,
- R

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 06 January 05 4:42 pm

Log Date: 1/5/2005
In keeping with Groundspeak's policy of not permitting charity caches or caches that promote agendas or platforms, effective immediately, the two caches created recently for the purpose of collecting money for Tsunami/Earth quake victims have been archived.

Our hearts go out to the victims of this terrible tragedy. However, although we understand that these caches were created with the best of intentions; the uproar from within the community regarding these caches has reinforced our position.

Questions like, "Why can't I do a cache for my charity?" or "I don't like this organization, why can't we create a Tsunami cache for a different organization" make a couple of things clear.

First, we do not want to have to admit/deny caches based upon our perceived merits of the specific agenda, position, organization or charitable cause. Most opinions vary when it comes to issues like these and we have no interest in hosting the battleground or becoming an arbiter.

Second, this web site is about geocaching and we do not wish to see it converted to a platform for issues, whether good, bad or otherwise.

There are plenty of ways to donate to charity and plenty of ways to help out. We encourage you to find them and participate to the extent you believe it is right. We certainly do.

Now, I realize that this post and action will most likely cause another uproar. Personally, I am sorry that we did not enforce this guideline sooner. The blame for this lies solely with Groundspeak and not the volunteers. As far as this web site is concerned, we plan to do our best to keep it related to geocaching and we hope you like it.

Sincerely,

Rothstafari
Groundspeak

Well, that just plain sucks!!!

I for one am dissapointed but not surprised by this.....

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 06 January 05 4:48 pm

Yeh, a lot of pressure from both points of view. If people want to make a stand, how about they donate their next year's membership fee instead of paying gc.com, not that it will make any difference. Their policies are in place for a reason, and whilst it would be nice for this cache to exist, it did open a huge can of worms. I daren't even look at the gc.com forums.

- R

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 06 January 05 4:54 pm

What a bunch of idiots...

However, even though the cache has been archived, you can still post logs to it...

You should see some of the comments from the ever-so-anal seppos on the secondary forums:

"all the finds should be turned into notes. Otherwise finders are profiting from the death of all those people" - - - - OH PLEASE!!!

"Of course, since people are still logging it after it's archived, I guess it really IS all about the smiley, even when it comes to this. That's pretty sad." OH PLEASE!!!

A sad day...

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 06 January 05 4:57 pm

For the latter, I hope someone explained to them (using small words) that we're a day ahead. Some might say years. :)