Drone Cache (Split from original thread)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Drone Cache (Split from original thread)

Post by CraigRat » 13 October 20 8:22 pm

Most drones have camera. Photo of you (can be obscured) at place x.

Amazing how many places drones are banned here in Tassie without permits (even with a RPAS license)

Smittengranny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Smittengranny » 13 October 20 11:55 pm

would any drone cache have to be a T5 as special equipment is required?

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Post by Team737 » 14 October 20 7:04 am

CraigRat wrote:
13 October 20 8:22 pm

Amazing how many places drones are banned here in Tassie without permits (even with a RPAS license)
It's the same everywhere.... we commit a Commonwealth offence it seems everytime we take ours for a test spin around our local park, in that we are within the range of a helicopter base that uses instrument approaches. The fact we are well below the tree tops and the height the average kite flies doesn't seem to matter. A helicopter below the tree tops here probably won't be too concerned about our 249g plastic drone in his way!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 October 20 9:05 am

Smittengranny wrote:
13 October 20 11:55 pm
would any drone cache have to be a T5 as special equipment is required?
I wouldn't think so. A chirp (beacon) cache can really only be done with a garmin GPS (or phone with an ANT receiver), but they are not marked as T5. If you're hunting a drone cache, then you need a drone and that removes the need for a T5 due to special equipment. I would think that the terrain is a combination of how you get to the launch location and the terrain you need to fly into (not the difficulty of the "find").

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 October 20 9:07 am

CraigRat wrote:
13 October 20 8:22 pm
Most drones have camera. Photo of you (can be obscured) at place x.

That would put it in the realm of a virtual style geocache which is cool. I would hope that we can have some discussion on how to use the drone on a physical item.

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 14 October 20 2:47 pm

Here are a few examples of what I think could be fun, challenging drone caches. Each example below is quite specific as it’s an idea I’ve had from places in my local area that drone flying is allowed.
  • Coordinates are given that lead to a quiet area of open parkland. The cache listing says that there’s something hidden at the top of the old nearby tree - and it needs to be found and identified. The cache page says that shape of this container will be the codeword required to log the cache. After circling the tree, the cacher spots a suspicious object and on closer investigation finds that it is a reasonably sized star shaped Christmas decoration that the hider has strategically hidden by attaching to their own drone and snagging it on the tree. The cacher logs the cache, using ‘STAR’ as the codeword and is awarded the smiley.
  • Cacher is given the coordinates to an old disused bridge. The cache listing mentions that directly underfoot lives a grumpy old gnome. He’s a vain old codger and will award a smiley if the cacher can capture a nice photo of him. The cacher needs to be able to navigate the drone under the bridge and snap a pic of said gnome, which they attached to their found log. The caches gallery will show a timeline of photos of the gnome.
  • GZ is the base of an old wooden pole, located in a travelling stock route reserve. It has a cross beam on top. Looks like it may have once been used as a telegraph pole, but that was long ago. A bison tube attached to a large hoop of wire hangs from the cross beam. The cacher must attach a hook and string to their drone, then try to snag the bison/hoop and return it to the ground for the log to be signed. Once signed, it can be returned to its spot by the cachers drone.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 January 21 1:17 pm

Reviving the chat to continue.

There are reasons for virtuals (pictures are easy to take from a drone, but require no effort to set up).
There are reasons for codewords (spot the word or "object" as the codeword, requires a drone to set up).
There are reasons or physical containers with a logbook (skill in retrieving and / or returning the geocache, requires a drone to set up).

The real restriction should be that you must use a drone to hide or set the requirements the geocache. i.e. Maybe you shouldn't just ask for a photo of the top of an item or area if you haven't placed it there yourself or proven that it's there with your own drone. i.e. "Virtual" style drone caches where you just take a picture are not on. You must have a codeword or physical cache at the location that you set yourself to be a drone cace.

Legal issues are yours and the seekers. We're not getting involved in that :-)

I don't think we need to set a physical or non-physical constraint on what you want to have done at the geocache site. But as we're not going to enforce a physical container, we'll exclude these from dragonZone cache types.

Have at some more discussion but it seems like we have a way forward and I'll be happy to set this up as time permits.