Trigs with drones

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Post Reply
User avatar
oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 431
Joined: 08 September 07 5:50 pm
Location: Innes Park QLD

Re: Trigs with drones

Post by oldfella » 09 October 20 7:29 am

The only fly in the ointment to claiming a Trig point is this.


To log a find on the Geocaching Australia website, you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself. Long distance / telephoto type pictures are against the spirit of this cache. You are encouraged to leave a description of your journey in your log to help others in finding the trig point.

User avatar
mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Posts: 94
Joined: 21 May 10 9:57 pm
Location: The Channon, NSW

Re: Trigs with drones

Post by mattyrx » 09 October 20 8:22 am

You can certainly get some good pics of those reservoir trigs! Nice to be able to back the drone out and see the whole perspective of the landscape and where it sits.

Interestingly too, you probably had your photo taken in closer proximity to this trig than anyone else. Without a drone you have to move away from it to capture both themselves and the mast in the same photo, whereas you were able to just stand below it, send up the drone and look down.

Obviously flying a drone over to an otherwise inaccessible trig would be against the spirit of the logging a find.

I reckon you could make some good videos capturing some scenic trigs too – and if you end up creating something like that you should share it on the forums \:D/

Team737
Posts: 28
Joined: 07 October 14 10:12 pm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/
Location: Newcastle

Re: Trigs with drones

Post by Team737 » 09 October 20 8:42 am

oldfella wrote:
09 October 20 7:29 am
The only fly in the ointment to claiming a Trig point is this.


To log a find on the Geocaching Australia website, you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself. Long distance / telephoto type pictures are against the spirit of this cache. You are encouraged to leave a description of your journey in your log to help others in finding the trig point.
No flies in our ointment! :)
Check the trig page, you'll see a photo of us standing under the trig, GPS in hand, trig in view..... :) Taken from about 50m up I think.....

Team737
Posts: 28
Joined: 07 October 14 10:12 pm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/
Location: Newcastle

Re: Trigs with drones

Post by Team737 » 09 October 20 8:46 am

mattyrx wrote:
09 October 20 8:22 am
You can certainly get some good pics of those reservoir trigs! Nice to be able to back the drone out and see the whole perspective of the landscape and where it sits.

Interestingly too, you probably had your photo taken in closer proximity to this trig than anyone else. Without a drone you have to move away from it to capture both themselves and the mast in the same photo, whereas you were able to just stand below it, send up the drone and look down.

Obviously flying a drone over to an otherwise inaccessible trig would be against the spirit of the logging a find.

I reckon you could make some good videos capturing some scenic trigs too – and if you end up creating something like that you should share it on the forums \:D/
It's perfect for reservoirs, you can also use it like a tripod - just hover out at 6' high and turn-around for the photo of the team with the trig, that could be hovering out over a cliff too....
We wouldn't fly one remotely for the pic, I agree that is against the spirit, although I must say there are a *lot* of <ahem> creative finds on trigs everywhere I see.... When we get more ballsy we could try that, but I'd only log it as a note for interest.....

User avatar
oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 431
Joined: 08 September 07 5:50 pm
Location: Innes Park QLD

Re: Trigs with drones

Post by oldfella » 09 October 20 9:16 am

You were really difficult to see on first inspection but you have nailed it. Good on you for using this technology now to convince Mrs YOF I need one.

Team737
Posts: 28
Joined: 07 October 14 10:12 pm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/
Location: Newcastle

Re: Trigs with drones

Post by Team737 » 09 October 20 10:06 am

oldfella wrote:
09 October 20 9:16 am
You were really difficult to see on first inspection but you have nailed it. Good on you for using this technology now to convince Mrs YOF I need one.
Love it!

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16294
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Trigs with drones

Post by caughtatwork » 09 October 20 10:12 am

Brilliant. Even if you took a picture of you or your GPS at the location, with just the tiniest part of the trig or structure in view, then a closeup via the drone ... perfect.

Post Reply