Creating a new geocache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ChrisDCooke1969

Creating a new geocache

Post by ChrisDCooke1969 » 29 September 20 11:33 pm

Hi!
I'm a cub leader in Mannering Park Sea Scouts.
For those that don't know, Mannering Park is located on the bottom of Lake Macquarie and is part of Noirthern Central Coast NSW.
We used to have 2 Geocache's located in this community but one was removed, not sure why.
Our scout hall is located at the end of a council built community walkway right on the lake (as we are a Sea Scout group we have boats and spend more time doing water activities which is what sets us apart from normal scouts).
We recently had a bushwalking activity during which we came across a Geocache location at Budgewoi and this sparked a conversation between myself and a few other members/ cubs.
From this conversation we were thinking about creating a new Geocache somewhere in the vicinity of the hall near the waterfront and walkway as cub group activity next term.
What I am trying to find out is what are the rules/ guidelines etc for doing this?
Is there anything official we need to do before creating one and what do we need to do to maintain it, assuming it will need ongoing maintenance which would be part of the cubs responsibility to do this.
Also, moving forward several of the cubs said they would like to do more of the activity of geocaching so when we do organize for them to search is there any rules we as a group would need to adhere to?
In some cases they may go searching as a group outing and other times it might without the group/ as a family outing.
Thank you

caughtatwork

Re: Creating a new geocache

Post by caughtatwork » 30 September 20 11:48 am

The rules / guidelines between Geocaching Australia (geocaching.com.au) and GCHQ (geocaching.com) are very different.

Here, at this site, you can hide what you want where you want without rules as long as it's legal. It's that simple. We will trust you as a responsible person to do the responsible thing.

At GCHQ there are guidelines to follow which can be a challenge to follow for new players. https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines

Enjoy playing the game.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 30 September 20 4:41 pm

If you have Facebook, I recommend looking up the group 'HAVOC Geocaching inc'. Its a Hunter Valley geocaching group and they can help you, possibly even come to your Sea Scouts to do an info night.

ChrisDCooke1969

Post by ChrisDCooke1969 » 01 October 20 5:43 pm

Thank you guys, I have joined that facebook group and will be getting in contact with them for assistance.
Hopefully when we organize next terms activities we will be able to include this project and make it happen.