Why no caches in Coonabarabran

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
greynomads

Why no caches in Coonabarabran

Post by greynomads » 20 December 19 8:32 am

Does anyone know why there are no caches in Coonabarabran NSW? We stopped there recently and turned on our GPSr, I had to pan out 23 KLMS to find a cache - an earth cache in the Warrumbungles. This is a bit surprising for a town of 2,500 people to have no caches nearby.

Sol de Lune

Re: Why no caches in Coonabarabran

Post by Sol de Lune » 20 December 19 9:51 am

There are these 2 in town...
https://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp7667
https://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga5984

And then this one at the airport about 8-10 klms from town.
https://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp7551

If I had your user name (perfect for caching) I'd put another one in town somewhere. Maybe near a lookout, the towns entry sign or even the visitors information centre. Always good spots for visitors to stop and get out of the car for a few minutes.

greynomads

Post by greynomads » 20 December 19 10:00 am

Sorry, I was referring to geocaching.com I didn't look at geocaching.com.au

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 20 December 19 10:57 am

I thought there was a chance you might have been, however I wanted to highlight our caches just in case. :D

In answer to your question and just in my opinion, I guess there are no GC cachers living in the area or within the radius that GC allows.

So, as a suggestion, I think you should look at joining a Geocaching Australia dragonZone Clan (Cerberus would be good, but of course the choice is yours) and start looking at the Geocaching Australia caches in the towns you pass through. Most towns, like Coonabarabran, will have a cache, even if it's only a Trig Point or a COR's. Some may have a History cache or even a Virtual cache. The benefits of the History or Virtual caches is there are no actual containers to look for, and with History caches you'll usually find these will be at an interesting local site where we all learn something about the area.

You also have the chance to publish a History or Virtual cache. The big benefit to you in publishing one of these types of caches is there is no maintenance required. Find the local historical area, work out a question or two, set the cache page up and publish. You have published a cache and other cachers now have something in the area to stop at, have a rest from their drive, and find a cache.

If you look at the Geocaching Australia maps in the areas you're heading to, I'm sure you'll see lots of our caches you could grab....and maybe one or two where you could publish one.

Just FYI, this is a link to our cache types....http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cache_type

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 23 December 19 2:30 pm

Simple answer is, there are no cachers there to hide them.

When I lived in Dubbo, according to a groundspeak reviewer I wasn't allowed to hide them in Gilgandra which was only just up the road without evidence of someone living closer to maintain it.

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 14 January 20 8:11 pm

There were, well, at least the ones I found.
GCP176
GC120HA
GCPBGZ

all by Oldbluedog

Oldbluedog's comment of "I'm over it all." in GC120HA November 2015 says it all.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 27 January 20 9:44 am

There was at least one. It was inside, or sometimes resided on top of, the minature observatory, out the front of the tourist information centre.

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 28 January 20 5:12 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:
27 January 20 9:44 am
There was at least one. It was inside, or sometimes resided on top of, the minature observatory, out the front of the tourist information centre.
That was the GCPBGZ I mentioned, Sky Eye off Newell. Yep, I found that one in Sep 2005.

ALSO, I note the 2nd one I mentioned, GC120HA, Jupiter by Bluedog, continued to be found AFTER it was archived, which may suggest it is still there!!!!! ie, the owner merely archived it but didn't bother to remove it.
WORTH A LOOK considering it is just out of town and likely away from town kid muggles.

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 06 July 20 12:11 am

I see the suggestion to join a clan. Best to join the clan with the least members to balance things up.