Trig? in Jindabyne

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Trig? in Jindabyne

Post by Goldenwattle » 12 March 19 9:37 pm

I found a trig (maybe) in Jindabyne, with tall four metal legs and a corrugated iron top vein, but the plaque underneath says Survey Mark. It has been put there by the Snowy Mountains Hydo. It looks like a trig, but I guess it isn't. Does anyone know about this?

caughtatwork

Re: Trig? in Jindabyne

Post by caughtatwork » 12 March 19 9:39 pm

Do you have a picture?

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 12 March 19 10:30 pm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 March 19 8:16 am

Pending someone who knows better, a trig point will always be associated with a survey mark, however survey marks can be independent of a trig point. As far as I can tell a TS is a trigonometrical station so this looks like it's a survey mark associated with a TrigPoint. I would create a TP listing for this.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 13 March 19 9:21 am

Goldenwattle wrote:I found a trig (maybe) in Jindabyne, with tall four metal legs and a corrugated iron top vein, but the plaque underneath says Survey Mark. It has been put there by the Snowy Mountains Hydo. It looks like a trig, but I guess it isn't. Does anyone know about this?
Have a look at The Surge Trig TP5375 which is similar to this one & has a SSM near it.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 13 March 19 10:11 am

A search for TS1308 on the NSW SIX maps shows a TP that is located out in the Riverina and searching SIX maps for PM1308 and SSM1308 both returned locations up in the Walcha area. I confirmed the PM and SSM location on the NSW SCIMS website. Coupled with "Snowy Mountains Hydro Electrica...." being written on it reinforces, for me at least, that it is not a NSW TP. Looks to me to be a survey point put in by Snowy Hydro.

Cheers,
Michael.

P.S. NSW SIX maps are very helpful for finding trigs.

stainless-steel-rat

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 13 March 19 6:17 pm

It not being a NSW Trig some people will say don't list it as a Trig Point, I on the other hand think it is a trig just not one listed by NSW.

We have one in Tassie that isnt a 'real' trig as it was placed by HEC (Hydro Electric Commission) https://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp0831 but it is a metal marker set in stone and it's at the top of a hill.

Do what you feel and see what people think, if there are views from GZ it's work sharing one way or another.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 13 March 19 7:57 pm

Tuena wrote:
Goldenwattle wrote:I found a trig (maybe) in Jindabyne, with tall four metal legs and a corrugated iron top vein, but the plaque underneath says Survey Mark. It has been put there by the Snowy Mountains Hydo. It looks like a trig, but I guess it isn't. Does anyone know about this?
Have a look at The Surge Trig TP5375 which is similar to this one & has a SSM near it.
It does look similar. I logged that one in 2015. I think I will create a new listing, for the one I found. After I have logged today's cache finds...I am travelling :)

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 13 March 19 9:46 pm

Published :D.
TP7911

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 13 March 19 9:53 pm

As far as I can tell the SMA (Snowy Mountain Hydro Authority) placed several hundred of these stations most but not all of which were registered with the NSW Land Dept, such as for instance TS7398SMA1322 instead of a name the SMA ident number was used.
I don't doubt that this is a Trig and was used as such. I would speculate that only the trigs useful after construction was finished were registered to check for land subsidence in the area.