---> Cacher Hobbies <---

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 27 December 04 11:17 pm

you mean there is other stuff to do other than geocaching and work? :shock:

Seriously, my other hobbys are pretty mundane, I do a bit of fishing, boating, canoing, I have a surf ski as well. Plane spotting and photography of aircraft also gets a workout, I was into R/C aircraft as well, model building (planes, boats, vehicles - anything really) for a while. Visiting airports should rate as a hobby for me, I have been that many different tarmacs on the "airside" of the fence, mainly working on the aircraft I was on. Anything that is remotely connected with aircraft really.

Currently, and in conjunction with geocaching I have started getting back into a hobby that obsessed me up in Townsville. Military History, naturally enough you say - for those of you who know what I do for a living :P , I have been researching aircraft wrecks of the local area. I have a few spots to go visit and hopefully soon the Sydney based geocachers will also be visiting those spots. I have been to a few wreck sites, the one that stands out the most was the B24 liberator wreck on Hinchenbrook Island. The Texas Terror, not a lot is left of it now. I have climbed to the crash site, 5 hours from sealevel to about 2/3rds the way up Mt Straloch.

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 27 December 04 11:54 pm

My Dad used to point out a wreck to me at Mt Victoria or nearabouts.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 28 December 04 5:28 pm

Urban exploration
Ultimate Frisbee/disc sports
Bushwalking/camping
Computing - all areas, esp Linux
Beer - just got a home brew kit

Edit: brain wasn't working yesterday and I forgot important stuff
Photography!
Rock climbing/bouldering/abseiling/canyoning
Last edited by Mind Socket on 29 December 04 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lucanos

Post by Lucanos » 28 December 04 8:23 pm

Aside from working? Hell, I hardly have enough time to sleep and eat, let alone get to the cache site or do anything else. And shift work doesn't make life any easier!!<br>
<br>
But whereas caching can be almost impossible at night, one of my emerging hobbies is able to be done at almost any time of the day or night...<br>
<br>
So, my list:<br>
- abseiling<br>
- rock-climbing<br>
- canyoning (I really need to invest in a wetsuit though)<br>
- photography (just started)<br>
- chinwagging on the CB (was given an Icom IC-400PRO the other day, haven't installed it yet)<br>
- watching DVDs<br>
- surfing the interweb<br>
<br>
And if I have any time left after after all that, spending time with my families and friends.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 28 December 04 8:44 pm

Lucanos wrote:Aside from working? Hell, I hardly have enough time to sleep and eat, let alone get to the cache site or do anything else. And shift work doesn't make life any easier!!<br>
<br>
But whereas caching can be almost impossible at night,

Some of my best caching has been done at night, as someone who knows all about shiftwork, rotating shifts as well, I find the wee small hours some of the best to go after that nigglerly cache that just can't be found at anyother time. I have been known to travel into the city centre from Richmond after finishing work at 3-4AM and do a couple of caches.