Which App to use

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Wallabybob

Which App to use

Post by Wallabybob » 13 June 17 5:45 pm

I am new to this, some of the geocache in my are require me to upgrade, is this necessary or am I doing something wrong. Can you advise a free app to use with an IPhone that will show all caches. Many thanks. Bob.

caughtatwork

Re: Which App to use

Post by caughtatwork » 13 June 17 6:43 pm

You are looking for a solution to the app used at http://www.geocaching.com
This is Geocaching Australia and we can't help as we're not affiliated with them.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 07 July 17 7:50 pm

Not an iPhone user myself, but an app calls Cachly seems to currently be the best of breed according to my IOS friends.
http://www.cach.ly/

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 07 July 17 9:36 pm

Yes geosphere used to be good for iPhones (and I am still using it) but it isn't being updated and when iPhone swaps over to 64 bit code it will stop working so cachly seems to be the app of choice. Unluckily I think without being a Premium Member on GC you are probably still limited in D/T ratings it will display.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 07 July 17 10:52 pm

Cachly isn't free, but then not many iPhone caching apps are.

I don't know why so many people lose sleep about paying $8 or so for a great app which you'll use for years.
Also, paying for Premium Membership is so cheap when you look at the many hours of entertainment you get back. When you consider all the other costs involved, it's hardly significant at all.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 July 17 10:02 am

Threadjack.

I'll say it again, their tactic of practically forcing premium will kill the game.

For those already in, $30 a year seems ok, however if you are new, it's just an app. An app that says you have to pay $30 to see most things. A lot of the newer players are less tech savvy than previously, and who want to log in to a website, copy/paste the co-ordinates (in to what??) and then try to log through the app.

If I had an app on my phone that said that, I'd just delete it.

People in the community already don't seem to get that a lot of app users DON'T go to the website(s), don't go in to the forums and now really don't get a handle on the potential breadth and value of the game. If you played Pokemon Go and it all of a sudden restricted you to 3 captures a day and $30 to unlock, most sane people would move on.

Diadem
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Diadem » 11 July 17 7:00 pm

I would disagree with CraigRat on this one.

I recall when I first started to geocache the entry cost for geocaching was $350 for a base level GPSr - there were no smartphones nor apps then. That initial $350 investment was one of the best investments I've ever made. Such high entry costs did not stop geocaching surviving and growing back then - it might have been slow growth, but it was quality growth. Such high entry costs didn't kill geocaching then and such low entry costs now will not kill geocaching. Even if this does harm GC.com, there are alternative listing sites to GC.com - if they can't keep geocaching alive except on the coat tails of GC.com then perhaps there is a weakness to be tackled.

The $US30pa cost is not the most significant cost of geocaching. I often spend more than that on petrol on a weekend to go searching for some caches. A one-off payment for Cachly is even less in comparison. I agree with gmj3191, given the cost benefit ratio, premium membership is a bargain.

Back on the original topic, I've used Cachly for some time now, not long after the original app stopped working. It left the new official GC app for dead. The official app is catching up, but Cachly is also continually advancing. Also, the developer of Cachly is very responsive to users, a marked contrast to the developer of the official app. The ability to download cache listings and maps for off-line use is a godsend, although again the official app is catching up.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 July 17 9:51 am

Philosophically though you started b y gaining entry when there was a cost and a learning curve and fewer geocaches which meant different experiences.

Put yourself in the position of someone today. They never owned a GPS unit. They have never had to understand what a terrain or difficulty was, what co-ords mean, what anything to do with geocache is all about. They have had a phone capable of app installation for a number of years, they see geocaches. To them it looks like Angry Birds with boxes. They fire up the app, not knowing there is a site and community behind it. They see a few geocaches which they can find, then they discover they have to pay $30.00 a year to see more. That's what stops people. I'll play Angry Birds for free, but won't pay. I will play the geocaching app for free, but $30.00? A year? Nah, I
ll find something else to amuse me this weekend.

The game is not being targeted at you and I and those with experience and knowledge and a long list of learnings and enjoyment. It's being aimed at those with a iPhone who can download Angry Birds with boxes and then ask them to pay $30.00.

Phetlern

Post by Phetlern » 12 July 17 10:11 am

Wallabybob wrote:I am new to this, some of the geocache in my are require me to upgrade, is this necessary or am I doing something wrong. Can you advise a free app to use with an IPhone that will show all caches. Many thanks. Bob.
This is Geocaching Australia - if you are referring to Geocaching.com geocaches, they have two levels - Basic and Premium. If you pay the fee $$$ then you get Premium membership and can see all the Geocaching.com caches. Have a look at this link: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.p ... 2&pgid=175