Garmin Chirp

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Garmin Chirp

Post by roundcircle » 16 October 10 7:21 am

A new gadget from Garmin. Might be interesting, as long as you have the gear.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811&ra=true

Description

chirp is a one-of-a-kind wireless beacon designed specifically for the outdoor adventures of geocaching. Affordable, durable and waterproof, chirp can communicate with, and be programmed by, any compatible wireless-enabled Garmin handheld (sold separately). chirp stores hints, multicache coordinates, counts visitors and confirms the cache is nearby. chirp is password protected and has a battery life of up to one year.

Get & Store Hints

chirp can be programmed by any compatible wireless-enabled Garmin handheld to store geocaching hints and other information. When other geocachers arrive near your cache, they’ll be alerted that the cache is nearby, and then they’ll be able to access the hints you’ve loaded into chirp. And when you return, chirp will tell you how many visitors have been to your cache.

Setup a Multicache

With chirp, setting up and maintaining a multicache has never been easier. Using your compatible Garmin handheld device, chirp automatically transmits program coordinates so other cachers can find each stage of your multicache. Or if you’re on a multicache, chirp lets you download coordinates. So there’s no need to manually enter numerous sets of complex coordinates – there’s just one simple touch and you’re on your way to the next stage.
Built To Cache — Built to Last

chirp was designed by geocachers, so it’s built to take the rigors of the outdoors. Plus, chirp is password protected, so you’re the only one with programming powers. chirp has a battery life of up to a year and the battery is easy to replace, plus chirp features a cache-perfect, small size and is durable and waterproof.

More blurb on the Garmin Blog:
http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/ ... ivity.html

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Garmin Chirp

Post by CraigRat » 16 October 10 7:30 am

Interesting idea.

Although using one of these automatically makes it a difficulty 5 cache as you need special equipment.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 16 October 10 8:16 am

being US$22.99, we should be able to get it delivered for around A$6 sometime soon. :twisted:

mm

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 16 October 10 9:24 am

The "special equipment" needed appears to be a Garmin Oregon 450 or 550 as CHIRP is supported in the latest software release. Probably coming in other newer devices soon.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 16 October 10 10:26 am

Am I right in my understanding that this is something you leave out as the actual waypoint for a multicache or leave in the cache?

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 16 October 10 1:07 pm

It looks like you leave it at a waypoint and when your GPS gets within range, it will receive additional data such as a clue or coords of next waypoint.
It would not necessarily need to be physically found. It could possibly be up a tree near a cache and say "Look under rock" to help you find the cache, or else give you the next waypoint in a multi.
That's my understanding anyway
Firmware Updates were made available this morning and can be installed using Webupdater.
GPSMAP 62/78 (2.70)
Oregon x50 (4.00)
Dakota (3.50)
Oregon x00 (4.10)

See this for all the details http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-chirp-review/

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 16 October 10 1:10 pm

That is very cool, it will be a while before I can use it though. The Oregon 300 we have only has about 2500 finds on it and I won't be reinvesting another $1000 in a hurry just yet...

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 16 October 10 4:08 pm

If you go to the German garmin site it tells you which devices work with Chirp:

Dakota 20, Oregon 300/400t/450/450t/550/550t, GPSMAP 62s/62st, GPSMAP 78s

cheers

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 October 10 8:24 pm

I would be disappointed if groundspeak allow it to be used as stages of a multi as it limits the finders to someone who owns the compatible device. Unless there is also a physical container with the next stage info as well so everyone has a chance (it just makes it easier for those people with the right gear, they don't need to physically find all the waypoints, just get close).

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 16 October 10 8:38 pm

I guess it'll be the same thing as wherigo and I don't think that Garmin would put something like this on the market without asking Groundspeak upfront.

tatty

Post by tatty » 16 October 10 8:43 pm

I remember reading somewhere on the forums, GC forums or was it GSAK, that wherigo was no longer being developed and there was something new in the works, I guess that would be this :-k

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 17 October 10 1:30 pm

Some update: Groundspeak considers the Chirp not to be within the guidelines

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... &p=4503009

If you want to place a Chirp-cache you need a second way for non-garmin users.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 17 October 10 2:10 pm

Philipp wrote:Some update: Groundspeak considers the Chirp not to be within the guidelines

I wonder if it's co-incidental that at the same time with the new Chirp update in my Oregon (4.1) that the Icon is now a generic cache rather than the GC logo?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 October 10 2:26 pm

Philipp wrote:Some update: Groundspeak considers the Chirp not to be within the guidelines

I didn't see anything official in that thread, but I may have missed it...

There was a reviewer/mod's opinion, but that's all it is until Groundspeak makes a pronouncement.

Personally, I think this probably does go against the commercial guideline, the same way I would consider something that can only be found using an iPhone app to be commercial. (It gets murky if you think about Android/WinMobile apps, since there's multiple vendors of hardware...)

It's a shame it's being treated as a way to sell high-end GPSrs instead of a wide-appeal product in its own right. A low-power Bluetooth device would be more fun. Hmmm.... :-k

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 17 October 10 2:37 pm

Surely Groundspeak and Garmin would have had secret discussions about this device before pushing the production button? :shock:

No more commercial than the good old WheriGo caches that limited the number of devices able to be utilised.

BTW, hypothetically, I wonder if the cache would be published if i provide the equipment at WP1? :-k No commercial influences then. 8)

mm
(note: i see many of my thoughts are on that thread link above, though it still makes for a discussion and to reinforce the postings)