geocaching.com.au in the Australian

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 15 December 04 8:38 am

I'll blame Snifter for the sweets thing. That doggone dog is always putting lollies in caches. :lol: :?

It does kiinda make us look like a bunch of high tech sugar freaks though. :)

ving

Post by ving » 15 December 04 11:09 am

as long as the said sweets are so packed full of preservatives that thier life expectancy is beyond that of this planet I think sweets are good :p

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 15 December 04 12:00 pm

well I'm a food storage expert- so I know what will and won't last Ving- but I still wouldn't put lollies in a cache unless I'd stuck em in one of those resealable bags- I'd be worried that ants would invade- I hate those little blighters- and they get into EVERYTHING! And I agree hounddog-
It does kiinda make us look like a bunch of high tech sugar freaks though. :D

<br>
Marie- TRD. (Who navigated us to 6 caches last night and is exhausted coz our cachemobile decided to be norti)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 December 04 1:04 pm

Other thing about lollies is that in the heat, they do the Wicked Witch of the West trick.

I''m melting, I'm melting.

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 15 December 04 1:07 pm

Bronze wrote:I don't have the Australian at my work. only the Tele.
:shock: What? They let you watch TV at work??? :?
Webguy wrote:Don't start picking on scented candles, one of the few things that can survive a cache flooding. :D
... but unfortunately NOT the Aussie summer heat! :evil:

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 15 December 04 3:45 pm

*puts hand up in air* 'I'll have a go at it' <br>
I found a great little pamphlet/flyer thingy (altho american based- we could draft something similar up to suit Aus) and we could make it a little more media friendly, at a website somewhere- its a PDF- I'll locate it on my hard drive and try n post it into our team site. <br>I know I'm a newbie, but I'm pretty good with this kind of thing- (I've done it professionally before) and would gladly take a stab at it. Then I guess if everyone else wants, they can vote on it or something to see if they think its any good.<br>
Thats if no one objects, or has someone else in mind...<br>
Marie- TRD
[/url]

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Article for Adelaide broadsheet...

Post by Zytheran » 16 December 04 12:59 am

I would have thought for the investment of 1 hour of the reporters time, the best bet would be to grab them at their office, log in at their desk, find a nearby cache and just do it, explaining as you go along. They should have the skills to write up their experience. Around the CBD are some interesting caches that wouldn't take long to do and would show how the hobby ties in with local culture and places. Do a micro magnetic and a regular in the parklands. Choose one with say two legs where there is a simple puzzle or information to collect. Or even better, place a new one with the last leg leading back to the offices with a camo cache hidden on/near their building.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 16 December 04 11:59 pm

Telegraph - And even then I don't get to read it. We have a daily here in Dubbo but I subscribe to the Weekly that comes out Thursday. All going well I get to read it Saturday morning.

Unless of course I want to forego the Pub friday arvo to read the paper.

I'd be happy to develop / organise a Media section for the forum. Tell me how and what you want done and I'd be happy to bring it together. Would be a great resource with links, photos and potential interviewees.

Bronze.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 December 04 10:37 am

I'd prefer not to see encouragement of media exposure at all, unless extremely well guarded. It took just a few words in that last article for the topic to swing to terrorism, and it's the kind of connotation we don't need in the hands of reporters.

Looking at some of the rubbish GC articles coming out of the US, the media is usually looking for something wacky or questionable to focus on.

- Rog

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 17 December 04 10:38 am

In that case we should be providing them with accurate information because when the media can't found accurate information, they'll simply publish whatever pops into their head.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 December 04 10:41 am

I'd love to believe that would help, but I've seen reporters slip their own bit of sensationalism into articles despite all attempts at providing good material and guidance. I think the info already on gc.com.au does the job nicely.

- Rog

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 17 December 04 1:40 pm

Mind Socket wrote:I'd love to believe that would help, but I've seen reporters slip their own bit of sensationalism into articles despite all attempts at providing good material and guidance....
Not wrong there.

Cheers, Kerry.