Geocaching apps

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
solidute

Geocaching apps

Post by solidute » 15 August 16 3:28 pm

Hi first post, so hello!

Started geocaching yesterday and am using the geocaching.com app and only have access to the bare minimum caches without upgrading to premium. So found and downloaded ga cacher app but once again only a few caches most of them are virtual. Is there a way to get access to more caches without paying for a premium app? Or another app with more access to real caches?

Reason im asking is because I want to give this hobby a decent crack before deciding if we as a family pursue it. And we don't want to be paying for an app that we aren't going to be using.

Thanks for your help much appreciated

caughtatwork

Re: Geocaching apps

Post by caughtatwork » 15 August 16 3:41 pm

The majority of caches are listed at geocaching.com with fewer listed at Geocaching Australia. If you want to play the game on your smart phone, you're probably best off with geocaching.com and for that you will need to pay for a subscription at $30.00 USD per year.

This is a cache central to Maitland. MOve the map around (and give it a few seconds) and see if there are enough near you to warrant the value from your subscription.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5135.gmap

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 15 August 16 5:12 pm

If you've got an Android phone I recommend c:geo. Free and works very well. Have been using it for years. They regularly update it and the big surprise is that the improvements make it better unlike most apps, browsers or software (I'm looking at you Microsoft).

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 15 August 16 9:35 pm

Hello, and welcome to caching! Nice to have another Yorke Peninsula cacher! (I'm from Curramulka myself - you?)

And I second Yurt's suggestion for c:geo. I have been using it for years and it is a great app - it also happens to be free!

solidute

Post by solidute » 16 August 16 12:41 am

Laighside Legends wrote:Hello, and welcome to caching! Nice to have another Yorke Peninsula cacher! (I'm from Curramulka myself - you?)

And I second Yurt's suggestion for c:geo. I have been using it for years and it is a great app - it also happens to be free!
Ardrossan.

Literally started doing this sunday afternoon. Kids are loving it.

Just paid for a month subscription to the geocaching.com app figure $7.80 ish is good enough to give it a crack.
I will check out the other app too. Thanks

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Post by Team737 » 19 August 16 8:41 pm

solidute wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:Hello, and welcome to caching! Nice to have another Yorke Peninsula cacher! (I'm from Curramulka myself - you?)

Ardrossan.

Literally started doing this sunday afternoon. Kids are loving it.

Just paid for a month subscription to the geocaching.com app figure $7.80 ish is good enough to give it a crack.
I will check out the other app too. Thanks
If you get into it you might burn that much (or 3-4x as much) in fuel every weekend chasing caches! :)