First Aid kits

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

First Aid kits

Post by Gunn Parker » 13 December 04 2:51 pm

HI All
I have just read in the TAS section about the snakes there, as we have everywhere In Aust but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile putting together a group purchase of some kits.
We have about 850-900 members and should be able to get some sort of discount.

Any thoughts on this???

edit, 902 members

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 13 December 04 3:02 pm

Maybe THIS kind of thing from HERE

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 13 December 04 3:54 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:Maybe THIS kind of thing from HERE
<br>
Already use THAT kind of thing from there. When I was deciding on which kit to get I thought these were a good value first aid kit. Compact and fairly well equiped for the price. It also can be put on your belt which is handy if your pack ends up at the bottom of a cliff. IMHO this kit gets a thumbs up.
<br>
Mike.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 13 December 04 4:12 pm

We would definitely be interested in buying a couple of those- maybe even three. (One Each). At least that way we'd be Ultra prepared if something happened. We've been hunting a first aid kit now that we're geocaching- and I have been reminded everytime I see a log that says, 'snakes,spiders,creepycrawlies'!! I'm arachnaphobic (sp?) so Scott will be doing the spidery ones...but I can handle most bugs except for leeches...can't stand those. I digress...I think that those kits look great- theres a st.john 'mini-store' in the westfield down the road from us...might go see them. Thanks for the idea Gunn :)

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 13 December 04 4:39 pm

I always have a first aid kit in my geocaching pack (which is also my bushwalking pack) ItÂ’s stored in a water proof bag so I never have to worry about the rain.

You should always put it in a water proof container or bag since it might not be rain that wetÂ’s it, you could fall in a creek for instance.

In regards to rain I carry a poncho that takes up almost no room and weighs a few grams.

I actually had the pleasure of being in both situations on a bush walk with Brisbane Bushwalkers (www.bbw.org.au) when I slipped at a waterfall, fell a meter or so and cut my hand open nicely. My bag got soaked but the kit remained dry so I used it to fix up my hand :oops: :cry: .

Like the scouts say "Be Prepared"

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 13 December 04 4:47 pm

Well I'm a member of an online preparedness group- so now that we're caching, I get to put it all into action :) Its great practice! I have seen those rain ponchos cheap around the place- a friend of mine for her kids takes a belt- it then helps to hold it around little ones- especially if its windy. Or, a good old garbage bag does the trick if you carry any with you (always keep a few in our backpack for trash outs!).

I'm going to go have a look at the first aid kits on thursday night- the guy there is really nice, I've spoken with him before- so hopefully he remembers me. I'm pretty sure some of my christmas present from the family is westfield vouchers- so I know where I'll be spending them!!

GammaPiSigma

Post by GammaPiSigma » 13 December 04 4:57 pm

Lt. Sniper wrote:You should always put it in a water proof container or bag since it might not be rain that wetÂ’s it, you could fall in a creek for instance.
<br>
Worthwhile advice Lt Sniper.
<br><br>
I have one of those really heavy duty plastic bags and put mine in the bag when it's in the pack. The problem when it is on your belt is that you can't seal it all the way around, in the instance of falling in the creek it has no protection. Like so many choices it becomes a matter of choosing the best option for the situation that confronts you. You can get waterproof kits but they are a lot more expensive.
<br><br>
Mike.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 13 December 04 5:10 pm

The whole waterproofing thing just reminded me- I have a friend who owns a 'Hiking/Bushwalking/Climbing Mountains' type store- (only thing he doesn't do is GPSr's) and he has these cool bags that fold up really small and you kinda swing and catch air with them, and then you put your stuff in to do creek crossings etc. I know someone who threw one out to catch someone who fell in a creek. They're not really expensive either- I might ask him about them too - with my 7 yr old- anythings possible- so its better to be safe than sorry.

*apologises Gunn for hijacking the topic* I'll shush now.

Marie - TRD

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 13 December 04 5:26 pm

I would take a picture of my pack setup but I destroyed my $400 canon digital camera yesterday while caching :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: <br><br>

I have never seen anyone with a first aid kit on there belt :shock:<br><br>

Another thing to mention is the club also pay's for half of your first aid course if you do one :) <br><br>

I also carry a book for hiking, which I am sure most of you have seen called "The SAS survival guide". Its got a fair bit of first aid stuff in it and its quite small in size. I only carry that one on my bushwalking trips, not got geocaching.
Last edited by Lt. Sniper on 13 December 04 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 13 December 04 5:39 pm

I never thought of buying the handbook! My dad had a copy years ago of a similar book- (altho it was more general-it had stuff about like not eating a polar bears liver because the amount of Vit. A would kill a human-another peice of trivia that somehow survived my childhood!)
<br>
I don't think that caching in the WA bush we'll encounter too many polar bears- let alone needing to kill one for food! :D But it might come in handy one day- maybe on a game show LOL! :P :D
<br>
Marie- TRD

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 13 December 04 6:38 pm

Hi
<p>
Just one comment in relation to treating snake bites. Unless your kit contains at least three reasonably wide bandages, I would suggest it is likely to be useless. If you don't believe me, take your kit or bandage that you carry and try and adequately bandage your leg ... see how far it goes.
<p>
To understand why I am saying this, take a look at http://www.avru.org/snakebi.htm#Snake Bite top for example. Note the treatment. You must bandage as far up the limb as possible. If this is a leg of an adult, one bandage is not enough.
<p>
Personally I always carry three. Sufficient to treat myself.
<p>
Outdoor Australia awhile back had a good article on making your own kit for bushwalking which is just as relevant to a lot of Geocaching. I am happy to scan and email it to anyone interested. Just PM me. Personally I would suggest this is a better approach than paying out dollars on kits which are often not that useful.
<p>
Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 13 December 04 6:48 pm

GammaPiSigma wrote:[ You can get waterproof kits but they are a lot more expensive.
<p>
Just use a dry bag such as those made by Sea to Summit. Perfect for most situations other than prolonged submersion. You can pick them up at outdoor retailers such as <a href="http://www.mainpeak.com.au">Mainpeak</a>. Take a look at <a href="http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... est.org</a> for my review.
<p>
Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 13 December 04 7:05 pm

Hi Again
<p>
Whilst tracking the article down on the first aid kits, I came across another article by Dr Andrew Peacock in the June/July 2004 issue of Outdoor Australia which illustrates snakebite preventation and first aid. It is interesting to note that they use a wide (around 100 mm) compression bandage in the treatment photos. Anyway, copies of same will also be available. Just PM me. Andrew I will send it with the other article.
<p>
Regards
Andrew
<p>
BTW great magazine for non-4WD outdoor pursuits ... http://www.outdooraustralia.com :)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 13 December 04 8:37 pm

Word of advice:

This may not work for everyone but I have found in my time walking through the bush that you can save yourself quite a bit of bother with a little forethought.

(1) Seek out the most uncoordinated of the scouts. This year it was Andrew. Now it's generally not hard to seek out an Andrew. A few ball throwing games, simple tasks like sweep the floor and 'pour a cup of tea' (a favourite) will soon reveal your own Andrew.

Now step 2. You have an Andrew and you want to go for a walk in the bush. Ask him to go in front. If he refuses simply tell him to go in front. Still he may refuse this is when a stick will come in handy. Soon enough he will gladly lead the way, tripping over all that can be tripped over - being quite apt at clumslyness he will generally catch his fall, complain less and heal quicker than most typical scouts.

Step 3. An Andrew is handly for testing bandaging, how not to treat snake bite, water depth and current speed of a stream during flood. Since rejoining Scouts I have found no need for a first aid kit. Another scout - 'the brown noser' will have most certianly have prepared and lugged a full ambulance of crap all over the countryside as s/he has been out with an Andrew in the past.

As this is not possible for some borrowing a small child, perhaps a neigbours kid, school friends of your son could more convienient and time effective.

Bronze.
It's ok - they managed to get him out in time. Great for ropework!

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 14 December 04 11:33 am

1) Waterproofing by way of a sealable plastic bag is great for in the pack.
2) Waterproofing the kit on the belt is simple: remove contents, place in sealable bag, replace back into kit bag.
3) Bulk purchase makes sense, logistics is the problem.
4) The $33.00 kit shown on the URL @ St Johns is good value. Most other Kits in most retail shops are a "Rip-Off". This kit shown, needs at least 1 more 10cm bandage (easily stuffed in). The other 2 Conforming bandages could well be swapped for 2 of the 10cm size. If space is tight, simply remove the "Wound Dressing No.14", & keep it for home.

5) Best "first aid kit" contents (in my opinion), keeping in mind it is there to accomplish a task -not to make us feel warm & fuzzy:

Assorted bandaids
Adhesive Tape
2 x Triangular Bandage 110cm x 110cm x 155cm
2 x Crepe/Conforming Bandage 10cm
1 x Crepe/Conforming Bandage 15cm
Non-adherent Dressing 10cm x 10cm
3 x Gauze Swabs 7.5cm x 7.5cm
Safety Pins (at least 3)
Scissors - stainless steel 12.5cm
Gloves - disposable
Note pad and pencil
First Aid Quick Reference Guide
Blanket Emergency Shock
Eye Bath (about $1 at the chemist)
50ml (or more) of water for eye bath

Optional:
1 x tube of "Paraderm plus" for cuts/bites/stings/itches/minor burns (better than "stingoes")
Several sachets of salt, for getting rid of leaches.
Having a "First Aid kit" for caching is a smart idea -& very worthwhile topic -Thanks!

P.S. In the mean time 2 x 15cm crepe bandages in the bag along with a mobile phone, will suffice for most life threatening emergencies. And treating a snake bite is very straight forward -Given what we do, & where we live, we should all know this. If not learn it! -You don't need to pay for it.
Happy caching, from Chookies[/b]