Travel Bug Hotels

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Manta
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Travel Bug Hotels

Post by Manta » 11 December 04 12:31 pm

Hi all.

Just curious...
What's the generla opinion about logging finds on travel bug hotel type caches? I've had a look at some of the overseas ones and it appears that people have been logging a find everytime they swap a travel bug. Although I think it's a great idea to have a location that people can go to to trade one TB for another and hopefully extend the frequent flyer points of the selected bug, how do people feel about logging each visit as a find?

IMHO you should be able to claim your first visit as a find but afterwards just log notes to indicate you visited and swapped.

Love to hear some viewpoints.

Simon.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 11 December 04 12:49 pm

IMO, You should only be able to log a cache once, regardless of what it is 8)

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 11 December 04 1:29 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>There are a few caches around that 'allow' multiple finds but none that I know of that are TB Hotels. The logging of a multiple find really depends on the cache owner and unless specifically stated that multiple logs are allowed I wouldn't suggest it. That's one of the 'kewl thingz' about this sport there really aren't any rules just guidelines and that allows many different aspects to a great game. <p>Cheers TLC

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 December 04 3:36 pm

Personally I only log subsequent visits with a note and would find logging it subsquently as a "find" unethical. That said, I have an idea gc.com only recognises (counts) the first log anyway or have I got that one wrong?
<p>
Andrew

Manta
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Manta » 11 December 04 3:43 pm

Opinion seems to be echoing mine. I'm considering placing a TB Departure Lounge cache near Brisbane Airport, where I work, and was just canvassing ideas. I'll make sure I spell out on the description page that cachers should only log their first visit and that subsequent visits should just be noted. I'm surprised that Brisbane doesn't have one of these yet. we certainly have a lot of TBs floating around that I'm sure would benefit from a central collection/drop-off area.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 11 December 04 3:47 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>Here's one specifically that allows you to log multiple times (10) although I don't know if the subsequent logs add to your tally as we've only logged it once (I have a feeling newbies might want to hit one in the future and us hitting ten wont help thier cause any) Great Southern Land<p>Cheers TLC

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 December 04 3:49 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Here in Perth we have two ... a <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 33">travel bug hotel</a> and <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ">passport centre</a>. Both are located in a very very popular park, easily accessible by visitors and locals alike.
<p>
Andrew

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 11 December 04 3:51 pm

Aushiker wrote:... That said, I have an idea gc.com only recognises (counts) the first log anyway or have I got that one wrong?
<p>
Andrew
<br>
It seems that you can log a cache as much as you want Andrew. I thought the same as you so I tested it out with one of my unreleased caches. I logged finding it 3 times and all 3 showed up on the stats page... :(
Last edited by Lt. Sniper on 11 December 04 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 December 04 3:51 pm

TEAM LANDCRUISER wrote:<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>Here's one specifically that allows you to log multiple times (10) although I don't know if the subsequent logs add to your tally as we've only logged it once (I have a feeling newbies might want to hit one in the future and us hitting ten wont help thier cause any) Great Southern Land<p>Cheers TLC
<p>
There is a comment in the thread related to this particular cache where I am pretty sure it says that even though you can log it more than once, gc.com will only count the first log.
<p>
Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 December 04 3:54 pm

Lt. Sniper wrote:It seems that you can log a cache as much as you want Andrew. I thought the same as you so I tested it out with one of my unreleased caches. I logged finding it 3 times and all 3 showed up on the stats page... :(
<p>
Okay, I wonder if locationless cache's behave differently? If you can log caches more than once, then I guess it would be okay for ones such as the trig cache, but otherwise not.
<p>
Andrew

Manta
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Manta » 11 December 04 4:15 pm

Lt. Sniper wrote:Logging a Locationless cache 10 times.....I am against that 100%

The term stat whore comes to mind :!: :x
Whoa there...I certainly didn't intend this thread to go in this direction.
However... having made such a comment (and I can only speculate on to whom you may be referring as a 'stat whore') I suggest you have a look at some of the old travelling caches ("Lane Cove or Bust..Again", "Traffic Control" or my "Animal Instincts"), which permit multiple finds provided others have found them between your finds. One that encourages mulitple finds is "Dash for Cache" which sets different target locationless themes that expire.

So... I guess what I'm getting at is that there are plenty of caches/cache types out there that permit more than one valid find per cacher and there's no reason why, if GC.com permits their existence, we shouldn't take advantage of them; not because it's another notch on the geobelt but just because it's another new experience.
Last edited by Manta on 11 December 04 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 11 December 04 4:16 pm

Logging a Locationless cache 10 times.....I am against that 100% <br>
The term stat whore comes to mind :!: :x<br>
<br>
NOTE: There was an addition to this comment by me but I removed it since I realised it was a stupid comment. Unfortunatly I got quoted on that comment. Please disregard it :)<br><br>

EDIT: My appologies Manta. The comment in question wasnt intended for any one person in particular so please dont take it to heart, I was trying to make a point but had a very bad choice of words to display that point.<br>
<br>
Alex<br>
aka Lt. Sniper
Last edited by Lt. Sniper on 11 December 04 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 11 December 04 4:45 pm

gc.com allows multiple finds against any cache, thats the way it is set-up, the cache that you are refering to Great Southern Land, thats the Trig, is the Aussie equivielant of the Benchmarking that takes place in the US.

In regards to the number of finds allowed against it... take it up with the cache owner, as the cache owner is the person responsabile for allowing the number of finds, and they do police it. I personally have no problem with having multiple finds against a cache, as long as it is within the guidelines of gc.com, and the owners wishes.

Manta
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Manta » 11 December 04 4:56 pm

An excellent summation Mr Gecko. I think we can probably put this thread to bed now and I will run off and prepare my TB hotel cache, coming soon to an airport near you (as long as you live in Brisbane that is!).

Thanks, all, for the input.
Simon.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 13 December 04 10:38 am

swampgecko wrote: In regards to the number of finds allowed against it... take it up with the cache owner, as the cache owner is the person responsabile for allowing the number of finds, and they do police it. I personally have no problem with having multiple finds against a cache, as long as it is within the guidelines of gc.com, and the owners wishes.
Agreed, though IMHO there is not much point allowing multiple finds at a particular location. That is, it's all well and good to log different locationless finds, or possibly (now grandfathered) moveables, but once you've found a trad/multi, you're not going to "find" it again, you're going to "revisit" it. :)

I think of my find count as the number of cool places I've been to.

- Rog