Pokemon Go

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by Zalgariath » 12 July 16 12:01 pm

Yeah it's nuts at the moment. Good fun but I think it will drop off very quickly to more regular geeky levels. Ingress never saw popularity like this, though all the Pokefans have the Ingress community to thank as it is built on that engine and with all the Ingress data and design collected over the past 3 years.

BTW - The eggs are only hatched by moving in a walking manner. The app uses the accelerometers and GPS in your phone to determine speed and acceleration. If you move too fast it stops counting the distance, so driving/riding slowly will creep it up. This is a direct port of the Ingress walking achievement. The cut off has been seen to be about 12kph so dont run too fast :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 July 16 3:16 pm

I'm having fun playing with the kids. We all kind of like Pokemon so it's fun at the moment and I do like the graphics. I doubt I'll ever get my Charizard though :cry:

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 12 July 16 8:32 pm

I really fear for my data usage levels this month....

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 12 July 16 8:37 pm

I must admit, after years of living with subversive nature of GPS-gaming, and the community feel it created, it's quite unbelievable to be walking around the city again today and just spotting damn near everybody using the app. It's just plain nuts. Seeing middle-aged women stop in the street and swipe, kids on bikes down the road suddenly stopping in the middle of nowhere and tapping away. And the CBD is just awash with lures. Like 20 at a time. Must be people in office buildings activating from their desks!

I do hope that a bit of the 'real world' and discovery of cool pokestop features will rub off once the initial rush of 'gotta catch em all' wears off. I must admit I kind of got sick of a vibrating phone every 30 seconds and the sight of another nubat as I wandered around the Melbourne CBD again today, but there were some very neat pokestop features, thanks to the Ingress players.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 13 July 16 8:33 am

My better half is enjoying it even more than me... which is great, as her interest in caching has waned so now there is something to fill the walks between boxes I can get her to come out more often :D

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 13 July 16 3:14 pm

MavEtJu wrote:I really fear for my data usage levels this month....
The folks at Telstra and Optus must be getting excited about the games popularity...

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 13 July 16 3:19 pm

That and retailers of phone battery packs...

Ah, issues around playgrounds being used for games played by adults - Where have I heard that before?
http://www.theage.com.au/business/consu ... q4hb3.html

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 16 4:03 pm

I haven't had much issue with high data volume use or battery issues. Maybe I don't play enough.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 13 July 16 5:08 pm

Good to see the geocaching 'legacy' has been acknowledged a little: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... geocaching

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 14 July 16 4:32 pm

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 22 July 16 12:59 pm

I was walking along the Strand at Townsville on Wed night and half the people (everyone under about 45) seemed to be playing. Some people rushed past me up the steps at the north end and I overheard "there's a Pokemon Gym at the top of the hill".

This is all making geocaching look sane.

The good thing about it is more people have heard of Pokemon Go in a couple of weeks than geocaching in 16 years so now when you are spotted hanging around somewhere with a device people will just think "oh it's one of those Pokemon hunters".

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 22 July 16 8:41 pm

http://www.pocketgamer.com.au/Pokedex/Pokemon/Golbat

Wanna know what to attack with all those Golbat?! Cool website that lets you pump in what attacks your pokemon has and splits up the pokedex into which ones to hit. Good fun!

Also has DPS so you can see which attacks are actually stronger.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 25 July 16 12:59 pm

https://www.facebook.com/guardiandefenc ... 8077041643

Interesting video above - Not that I'm one to live in paranoid fear, but it's certainly an issue I wouldn't have been too worried about with geocaching - given its relative obscurity - which with Pokemon Go's massive popularity and awareness, is probably more of an issue. Funny how a 'game' and meeting fellow players immediately disarms so many people - and it's one of the best things about geocaching (and PokeGo for that matter). A shame that some people might take advantage of that...

Was kind of funny out riding with the son yesterday. Almost every second person was playing it. Immediate gut reaction is :roll: but then you realise they're outside, they're with other people often. Far better than hiding at home playing Candy Crush.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 25 July 16 2:26 pm

Zalgariath wrote:http://www.pocketgamer.com.au/Pokedex/Pokemon/Golbat

Wanna know what to attack with all those Golbat?! Cool website that lets you pump in what attacks your pokemon has and splits up the pokedex into which ones to hit. Good fun!

Also has DPS so you can see which attacks are actually stronger.
I have no idea what you are talking about :lol: Can you put it in caching terms?

What is a Golbat? It sounds like some sort of murder weapon - "The victim was struck with a Golbat and died at the scene. Police are investigating." :shock:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 July 16 4:57 pm

Social experiments are nothing more than trolling in the real world. I hate them.

Golbats are very useful against dragon types I found out. My Golbat took down a Dragonite :-)