Do cool caches grow legs (via geocachers)?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Do cool caches grow legs (via geocachers)?

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 05 July 15 10:27 pm

Hi all,
I'm finally ready to start seriously hiding a few geocaches, but I'm a little hesitant to put too much effort in. I mean...
Have any of you experienced having your cool containers (ammo cans, creative containers) go missing or get replaced with little plastic boxes by fellow geocachers? I can understand muggles messing with them, but if I hid them well, will they be left be by fellow geocachers?
My hubby thinks not. I think geocachers would appreciate them and leave them be.
Your thoughts or experiences???

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Do cool caches grow legs (via geocachers)?

Post by Richary » 05 July 15 10:47 pm

I've never had any problems with my caches being replaced by something less worthwhile, that said I do have remote caches in NSW and SA that people have replaced because they needed it, and I have done the same for others in the past. This is more a case from old caches before they put in the rule about being able to maintain.

Never lost an ammo tin to have it replaced by a Sistema or whatever, but if you are worried perhaps engrave your caching name etc on the inside so it can't be repurposed by someone else who is too stingy to buy their own.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 July 15 10:54 pm

I've lost some ammo cans, but they went missing completely, not just swapped for a different container. I suspect a thief vs. a muggle, but I've never complained as I don't want them to feel the satisfaction. I've hidden dozens and dozens of ammo cans and only lost maybe 2 or 3, so the rate is very low.

My preferred container is a 2 litre sistema container INSIDE an ammo can. The fit is perfect, you get two layers of weather protection, no smell or damp on the swaps and 2 litres is a great size for the family geocacher. The can is also very damage resistant to rocks being dropped, the plastic is out of the sun so no UV damage or going brittle and in at least 1 case, the two of them together have survived a bush fire. To me, there is little better than a hide of the this style.

I supposed one of the benefits of a GCA hide is that less people are likely to see the listing, so less likely to go missing :stabby

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 06 July 15 1:57 pm

I tend to hide my cool containers in areas they won't be discovered accidentally after one was taken.

I'd love to see someone try and take this one... http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3J ... -of-cement

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 07 July 15 11:52 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:I'd love to see someone try and take this one... http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3J ... -of-cement
I'm planning to do that one this weekend - coincidence? :wink:

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 07 July 15 12:34 pm

I had the cutest of cute plastic tortoises as a cache. It was getting favourites. Then it disappeared. My theory is someone else thought it was cute too.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Post by pjmpjm » 07 July 15 12:49 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:Hi all,
I'm finally ready to start seriously hiding a few geocaches, but I'm a little hesitant to put too much effort in. I mean...
Have any of you experienced having your cool containers (ammo cans, creative containers) go missing or get replaced with little plastic boxes by fellow geocachers? I can understand muggles messing with them, but if I hid them well, will they be left be by fellow geocachers?
My hubby thinks not. I think geocachers would appreciate them and leave them be.
Your thoughts or experiences???
Hi, No_Tomorrow . . .

Yes, whenever you place a cache, there's always the chance of it going missing. No doubt about it. I've placed more than 150, both GC and GCA, and have lost a few. However, the risk goes with the game. I don't think replacing a nice container with a cheap one would be the worry . . . anyone wanting the 'better' cache container would just take it and leave nothing behind. But I wouldn't worry, unless you're doing an 'urban' style cache in a busy place. (Such areas are much more prone to 'lost caches.')

Hope you'll decide to place a cache, despite the possible risks! :) Take the risk and enjoy the fun!