Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
User avatar
No_Tomorrow
Posts: 467
Joined: 08 January 09 8:55 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by No_Tomorrow » 05 July 15 11:28 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The Australian pronunciation in kaysh, but no idea why it's different from the US and UK.
Because we are bloody awesome! ;)

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 337
Joined: 19 January 10 7:54 pm
Location: Ulverstone Tasmania

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by 2y'stassies » 06 July 15 12:23 am

Cash or kaysh? - it doesnt really change the fun of the game or the great people who play.

boothie103
Posts: 3
Joined: 01 July 15 1:39 am
Location: Benalla

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by boothie103 » 06 July 15 3:21 am

Why is there not a yawning emoticon? Who cares how you pronounce it? If you were brung up in another state there is an r in castle. The cache, regardless of how you say or said it is the cache. And like I said 92 found, and now 99 found, I don't care wot u tink it is to b called, it is addictive and fun, so when you go grrr, shove some chewing gum in your mouth, blow a bubble and then say cache and see what side of your face the bubble bursts on. Left side says you said it wrong, right side says the other people say it right. This will do your brain in if you think about Small caches are in because people are not being as inventive as they used to be. Nanos just suck and I do not even look for them now.
I just like gifting caches with Smileys, fridge magnets, key rings etc. I figure I don't need to take anything from a cache, better to give than take.

Do you ever get sick of finding a cache and then signing off that you have found it?

User avatar
No_Tomorrow
Posts: 467
Joined: 08 January 09 8:55 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by No_Tomorrow » 06 July 15 8:53 am

All G. I am currently video editing part 2 of my outback NSW adventure and going through the footage half the time I've forced myself to say "cash" and I kept forgetting and naturally said "kaysh" as well. Haha. I don't know how I'm going to edit it so it doesn't sound stupid, but from now on I'm going with the broad Aussie accented "kaysh". :D

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16294
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 15 10:07 am

boothie103 wrote:Do you ever get sick of finding a cache and then signing off that you have found it?
Nope.

User avatar
Pacmania
Posts: 27
Joined: 07 January 11 9:22 am
Location: Canberra

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by Pacmania » 06 July 15 11:06 pm

I've been saying "kaysh" for the last 30 years since I first studied computer hardware. So my instructors must have been using it for a while before that!

User avatar
ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 825
Joined: 26 September 14 11:13 pm
Twitter: ziggiau
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by ziggiau » 07 July 15 11:44 am

I blame computer speak for my pronunciation too - it's always been kaysh for me and I'm sticking with it.

Re: the story, I was a little annoyed at the mint tin reference too, but at least the cache they showed being found was interesting. I think that there's a place for all sizes of cache, it's the care in which they're placed that makes all the difference.

Bunya
Posts: 418
Joined: 10 May 05 5:51 pm
Location: South Australia

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by Bunya » 08 July 15 6:36 pm

ziggiau wrote:I blame computer speak for my pronunciation too - it's always been kaysh for me and I'm sticking with it.
I have long suspected "computer speak" as the reason for the use of the incorrect pronunciation in Australia.
However, the on-line references I've found say that "cash" is still the correct pronunciation for both the original meaning of "a hidden collection items" and the much more recent usage for "auxiliary computer memory".
I can only assume that in Australia when "cache" was first used as computer-geek-speak it was either mistakenly or deliberately given a new pronunciation.
As I assume the first geocachers in Australia were computer geeks and they had only used cache in the computer hardware context, the contagion of the incorrect pronunciation spread to geocaching, even though a different type of cache was being referred to there.

User avatar
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Posts: 6985
Joined: 23 August 04 3:17 pm
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat
Location: Launceston, TAS
Contact:

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by CraigRat » 08 July 15 7:09 pm

Bunya wrote:
ziggiau wrote:I blame computer speak for my pronunciation too - it's always been kaysh for me and I'm sticking with it.
I have long suspected "computer speak" as the reason for the use of the incorrect pronunciation in Australia.
However, the on-line references I've found say that "cash" is still the correct pronunciation for both the original meaning of "a hidden collection items" and the much more recent usage for "auxiliary computer memory".
I can only assume that in Australia when "cache" was first used as computer-geek-speak it was either mistakenly or deliberately given a new pronunciation.
As I assume the first geocachers in Australia were computer geeks and they had only used cache in the computer hardware context, the contagion of the incorrect pronunciation spread to geocaching, even though a different type of cache was being referred to there.
You keep using the word 'incorrect' for some reason :lol:

Bunya
Posts: 418
Joined: 10 May 05 5:51 pm
Location: South Australia

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by Bunya » 08 July 15 7:48 pm

CraigRat wrote:
Bunya wrote:
ziggiau wrote:I blame computer speak for my pronunciation too - it's always been kaysh for me and I'm sticking with it.
I have long suspected "computer speak" as the reason for the use of the incorrect pronunciation in Australia.
However, the on-line references I've found say that "cash" is still the correct pronunciation for both the original meaning of "a hidden collection items" and the much more recent usage for "auxiliary computer memory".
I can only assume that in Australia when "cache" was first used as computer-geek-speak it was either mistakenly or deliberately given a new pronunciation.
As I assume the first geocachers in Australia were computer geeks and they had only used cache in the computer hardware context, the contagion of the incorrect pronunciation spread to geocaching, even though a different type of cache was being referred to there.
You keep using the word 'incorrect' for some reason :lol:
Strewth mate, doncha geddit? I say 'incorrect' becoz "kaysh" is rong, rong, rong!!! ](*,)

Now I'm off to stir the possum somewhere else as this has reached the :stabby stage as usual.

nutwood
Posts: 393
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by nutwood » 08 July 15 8:34 pm

There is no right or rong when it comes to pronunciation, only convention. Should cow rhyme with mow or now. If you sow something, do you planting seed or are you referring to a female pig?
I happen to prefer the kaysh pronunciation and it's nice to have an Australianism. It adds colour, oops sorry color (or is that something I put on my dog!) and stops me trying to put a Sistema in my wallet.

Post Reply