Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Re: Geocaching story on 7.30 last night

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 05 July 15 11:28 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The Australian pronunciation in kaysh, but no idea why it's different from the US and UK.
Because we are bloody awesome! ;)

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 06 July 15 12:23 am

Cash or kaysh? - it doesnt really change the fun of the game or the great people who play.

boothie103

Post by boothie103 » 06 July 15 3:21 am

Why is there not a yawning emoticon? Who cares how you pronounce it? If you were brung up in another state there is an r in castle. The cache, regardless of how you say or said it is the cache. And like I said 92 found, and now 99 found, I don't care wot u tink it is to b called, it is addictive and fun, so when you go grrr, shove some chewing gum in your mouth, blow a bubble and then say cache and see what side of your face the bubble bursts on. Left side says you said it wrong, right side says the other people say it right. This will do your brain in if you think about Small caches are in because people are not being as inventive as they used to be. Nanos just suck and I do not even look for them now.
I just like gifting caches with Smileys, fridge magnets, key rings etc. I figure I don't need to take anything from a cache, better to give than take.

Do you ever get sick of finding a cache and then signing off that you have found it?

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 06 July 15 8:53 am

All G. I am currently video editing part 2 of my outback NSW adventure and going through the footage half the time I've forced myself to say "cash" and I kept forgetting and naturally said "kaysh" as well. Haha. I don't know how I'm going to edit it so it doesn't sound stupid, but from now on I'm going with the broad Aussie accented "kaysh". :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 15 10:07 am

boothie103 wrote:Do you ever get sick of finding a cache and then signing off that you have found it?
Nope.

Pacmania

Post by Pacmania » 06 July 15 11:06 pm

I've been saying "kaysh" for the last 30 years since I first studied computer hardware. So my instructors must have been using it for a while before that!

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 07 July 15 11:44 am

I blame computer speak for my pronunciation too - it's always been kaysh for me and I'm sticking with it.

Re: the story, I was a little annoyed at the mint tin reference too, but at least the cache they showed being found was interesting. I think that there's a place for all sizes of cache, it's the care in which they're placed that makes all the difference.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 08 July 15 6:36 pm

ziggiau wrote:I blame computer speak for my pronunciation too - it's always been kaysh for me and I'm sticking with it.
I have long suspected "computer speak" as the reason for the use of the incorrect pronunciation in Australia.
However, the on-line references I've found say that "cash" is still the correct pronunciation for both the original meaning of "a hidden collection items" and the much more recent usage for "auxiliary computer memory".
I can only assume that in Australia when "cache" was first used as computer-geek-speak it was either mistakenly or deliberately given a new pronunciation.
As I assume the first geocachers in Australia were computer geeks and they had only used cache in the computer hardware context, the contagion of the incorrect pronunciation spread to geocaching, even though a different type of cache was being referred to there.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 July 15 7:09 pm

Bunya wrote:
ziggiau wrote:I blame computer speak for my pronunciation too - it's always been kaysh for me and I'm sticking with it.
I have long suspected "computer speak" as the reason for the use of the incorrect pronunciation in Australia.
However, the on-line references I've found say that "cash" is still the correct pronunciation for both the original meaning of "a hidden collection items" and the much more recent usage for "auxiliary computer memory".
I can only assume that in Australia when "cache" was first used as computer-geek-speak it was either mistakenly or deliberately given a new pronunciation.
As I assume the first geocachers in Australia were computer geeks and they had only used cache in the computer hardware context, the contagion of the incorrect pronunciation spread to geocaching, even though a different type of cache was being referred to there.
You keep using the word 'incorrect' for some reason :lol:

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 08 July 15 7:48 pm

CraigRat wrote:
Bunya wrote:
You keep using the word 'incorrect' for some reason :lol:
Strewth mate, doncha geddit? I say 'incorrect' becoz "kaysh" is rong, rong, rong!!! ](*,)

Now I'm off to stir the possum somewhere else as this has reached the :stabby stage as usual.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 08 July 15 8:34 pm

There is no right or rong when it comes to pronunciation, only convention. Should cow rhyme with mow or now. If you sow something, do you planting seed or are you referring to a female pig?
I happen to prefer the kaysh pronunciation and it's nice to have an Australianism. It adds colour, oops sorry color (or is that something I put on my dog!) and stops me trying to put a Sistema in my wallet.