Caches in children's playgrounds

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Caches in children's playgrounds

Post by Goldenwattle » 23 May 15 9:09 pm

Recently I was in the UK and attended a get-together of local geocachers. I was interested to be informed that in the UK caches in children's playgrounds are not allowed. I know that many geocachers, myself included, dislike caches in playgrounds. I think a rethink is needed on whether that is an appropriate place to hide caches here. What do others think?

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found

Re: Caches in children's playgrounds

Post by Agent Basil » 23 May 15 9:43 pm

I choose to ignore them. Very wrong for a bloke to be seen loitering around a playground without kids in tow. Then again, I ignore most urban caches for a similar reason. Looks very suss at every level!

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 23 May 15 9:58 pm

Agree. Plenty of other places you can hide a cache.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 23 May 15 10:23 pm

Agent Basil wrote:I ignore most urban caches for a similar reason. Looks very suss at every level!
I often find that when caching alone, where other people are about. It doesn't look so bad when in a group, or even with one other cacher, but alone, searching for some caches does look very suss.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 23 May 15 10:32 pm

Goldenwattle wrote: I often find that when caching alone, where other people are about. It doesn't look so bad when in a group, or even with one other cacher, but alone, searching for some caches does look very suss.
Yes, an interesting phenomena. When caching alone I really just want to find the cache as quickly as possible, but when with others I'm happy to have a good long search.

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 24 May 15 5:05 pm

Agree with the comments about caching in a crowd ......... except for a bunch of blokes in a playground without kids is even more suss !

sharnie's tribe
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by sharnie's tribe » 24 May 15 6:14 pm

We tend to avoid caches in or near playgrounds unless we have the right accessory, helps when we can borrow a grandchild for a caching expedition. One of our caches was near a playground in our home town but we archived it after giving it a bit more thought, decided it was a bit dodgy looking.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 May 15 8:04 pm

Playground hides can be ok (if you've got kids or a pet or whatnot).

Would I do them caching solo, hell no.

But then again, you don't have to find EVERY cache, do you?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 24 May 15 9:37 pm

I got enough suss looks checking out the top of a lookout today (no playground involved) where I was down in the bushes searching for a hide. Where it turned out I didn't need to be anyway. One family decided to go to the other side of the hilltop when they came over and saw me down in the bushes. [-(

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 May 15 9:37 am

They're not appropriate, but we shouldn't ban them either. This pandering to the crowd is what is making life less and less enjoyable. Not every person you see around is a pedo.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 25 May 15 11:32 am

There are heaps of family cacher teams out there that love the playground caches. I think it is just that people DO feel they have to find EVERY cache, then it is a problem.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 25 May 15 11:38 am

I am an old dude >60 and do most of my caching on my own. I will leave the playground cache hides alone depending if they are on playground equipment or very close. I am happy to give them a miss if the hides are in an area that I do not normally visit. Eventually I will have a go at a hide if it is one of my areas that I visit on a regular basis and then I usually have my wife and or geocacher daughter and my geocacher grandson so I am less obvious and usually my 8 year old grandson wants the honor of finding it. I think it is a personal choice.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 25 May 15 2:35 pm

I have been accosted in a playground when I did have my kids with me. We had found the cache (a Nano under the platform) and were then playing with the kids around the playground when a person (un-accompanied male) walking past stopped and attempted to enquire as to what we were doing.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 25 May 15 3:15 pm

I'm > 60 & do majority of my caching alone. I cut out micros from my PQs for all states & pretty well got rid of playground caches. The only exceptions are on long trips. Currently have a PQ for all sizes within 40Ks of Sarina. I will look for caches in playgrounds only if there is no one about. Eventually will cut out GC micros altogether - no loss as my interest on the Groundspeak side is now Waymarking. My GCA Queries still include all sizes.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 25 May 15 4:57 pm

caughtatwork wrote:They're not appropriate, but we shouldn't ban them either. This pandering to the crowd is what is making life less and less enjoyable. Not every person you see around is a pedo.
Much my thoughts, I use the old PBL trick.

1. Decide if you want to find cache
2. Apply Peg if Yes
3. Sign Log
4. Move on