How many people still visit the forums

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re: How many people still visit the forums

Post by gmj3191 » 31 May 15 11:29 am

10% of people who try geocaching go on with it.
That might be a high percentage. It's difficult to compare it with other activities, but I'd imagine it's not all that low.

How many people try various sports and don't go on with them in a serious way?
Hard to know really.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 01 June 15 1:31 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:So.... Nothing like a bit of controversy to have people visit the forums. It's been better than watch TV on here recently :)
It's good to see some centralised conversation.

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 01 June 15 10:12 pm

I must admit I have not been here for quite a while. I did check in a few months ago and all was quiet in the Victorian pages. Some of my For Sale adds were still there after a year ( on the front page) so I figured the people were not interested anymore. Face book is very handy, it works easily from a smart phone, you get instant reactions etc and also I need to follow what my daughter is doing.

But today I checked in again after Peter asked to be my friend on FaceBook! I accepted, hopefully I should not read too much into that one Peter, LOL. Sorry to use a FB term.

I would still prefer the forum, you tend to get more intelligent conversation and I have found in the Hardware/software forums that I have actually learnt things,

So will now have to visit more often I think.

PS the other good thing is that if I have a technical issue, I will usually get an answer here, and not a notification from FB saying that because they have 20 million other questions to answer, they won't be replying to my query. :(

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 03 June 15 11:17 pm

If I have a serious question, I come here and always get an informed answer.

When I'm logging my latest GA find, I'll drop in here and see what's happening too.

But gone are the days (nights) when I would sit at my computer all night "chatting" with all you dedicated cachers about anything and everything. It used to fill my nights with fun and friendship. A few years ago I felt I was friendly with quite a few cachers, even though we are all spread across Australia.

Maybe there are just too many people now to be the close community that the forum generates?

(I don't do facebook, it seems mostly full of silly trivia.)

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 04 June 15 8:24 am

The German forum geoclub.de died down almost completely. It's all on facebook these days and it's much more regionalised than here in Australia. But then again the population density is slightly different.

I wouldn't mind if more cacher can be channeled from fb over here. Searching stuff on facebook is terrible and as soon as a conversation is inactive for three days it gets chewed up in history.

On that note: CraigRat - post the above stats on the GCA facebook page and link it to the forums :)

Philipp
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 04 June 15 10:47 am

There you go :) I made a text out of it:

Geocaching Stickyness

Do people stick to the game? An analysis* by Geocaching Australia:
Have you ever wondered what are the chances that you will see that cacher again you just stumbled upon? While the number of people who heard about or even tried geocaching are constantly increasing, it's always a mystery if they will be around for longer. So here are some numbers and hard facts:

Out of the 110,497 people who have logged caches in Australia since 2000, 3/4 of them (82,000) have only ever found 17 caches or less!

If you include our friends across the ditch and set the bar a bit higher it draws a similar picture: From the 110487 people who found at least one cache before 2015 in Australia and New Zealand, only 11353 have found more than 100 which is about 10% of all cachers. It is fair to say that 90% have left before hitting 100 or are just have yet to hit that mark.

3/4 of all people who've cached in Australia stopped logging caches at or before 224 days! 1/2 of them (55,000 or so) stopped caching within two weeks!

While the growth of new geocachers is pretty spectacular with over 32,000 new players in 2014(!), the longevity of most is still quite low: 3/4 of those people found less than nine caches and logged for only one month (approximately).

It would seem that geocaching, although increasing in numbers does not have any real significant "stickyness".

The moral of this story:
Embrace the new players, but don't bother remembering their names, because they won't be around for long ... statistically speaking.

P.S.: If you are in the 1000+ club you are one of the 1%!

* There are plenty of uncertainties on these statistics (e.g. overseas cachers) but these are marginal errors

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 06 June 15 2:06 am

I drop through very occasionally. Still find probably one cache a month, mostly when travelling, or with scouts. For those that remember me, now firmly planted in Launceston, Tasmania.

Sam

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 06 June 15 11:19 am

I look in every couple of weeks or so, sometimes less.

Facebook works as a social connector, and as such it works well and probably takes a lot of otherwise drivel from Forums like this.

This is still the best place to come for REAL information exchange though, which is why obviously a reasonable number of people still at least check in to it regularly.