New version of "your computer has errors" scam?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Re: New version of "your computer has errors" scam?

Post by Goldenwattle » 12 May 15 7:42 pm

biggles1024 wrote:I haven't had a landline phone for the last seven or eight years. I therefore have missed out on receiving these calls. Thankfully, I have yet to receive such a call on my mobile and that is despite having the same number since August, 1988. \:D/
You obviously don't live in a concrete house where mobile phones don't work in much of it. I need a line coming in.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 12 May 15 7:53 pm

I've had the same home phone and mobile number since 1998. Not quite as good as 1988, but not bad.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 12 May 15 8:08 pm

Thinking about it now, I've had the same basic home phone number since probably the late 1980s. It has got longer though with added numbers. I moved house during that time, but was able to take my number with me, because I stayed with the same exchange. A nice number I didn't want to lose.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 12 May 15 8:21 pm

Goldenwattle wrote:Thinking about it now, I've had the same basic home phone number since probably the late 1980s. It has got longer though with added numbers. I moved house during that time, but was able to take my number with me, because I stayed with the same exchange. A nice number I didn't want to lose.
The good thing nowadays is that you don't need to stay on the same exchange to keep your number.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 12 May 15 8:26 pm

noikmeister wrote:
Goldenwattle wrote:Thinking about it now, I've had the same basic home phone number since probably the late 1980s. It has got longer though with added numbers. I moved house during that time, but was able to take my number with me, because I stayed with the same exchange. A nice number I didn't want to lose.
The good thing nowadays is that you don't need to stay on the same exchange to keep your number.
It did less than two years ago; at least without extra expense. I could have kept the old number if I had moved exchanges, but it would have cost me a regular extra fee, it was explained to me. Has this changed in the last two years?

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 12 May 15 8:28 pm

Goldenwattle wrote:
noikmeister wrote:
I did less than two years ago; at least without extra expense. I could have kept the old number if I had moved exchanges, but it would have cost me a regular extra fee, it was explained to me. Has this changed in the last two years?
Maybe. I actually swapped from Telstra landline to naked DSL and VOIP and moved my number from Telstra to iiNet without paying anything.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 13 May 15 10:26 am

Same mobile number since 2000 and I inherited that number from someone else at work who left. Then when I left my job some 7 years ago they let me take my number with me.

I remember how expensive mobile calls were and you really wouldn't stay on the line long. But now I look at our landline bill and see that there have been 5 local calls in a month! Mobile really has taken over. We all used to talk about the risks of using the mobile too much but you never hear that now.