Dubious Finds

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Dubious Finds

Post by Tuena » 03 September 14 10:25 am

I recently received a notification that toycoasters had found my cache near Batemans Bay, Big Bit. Their comment was - Found it. That got my hackles up so went & had a look at their finds & discovered they had recorded 48 finds on 1 September in every mainland state & territory. I deleted their find on my cache & they haven't protested. Their find logs include wording such as Found it, Awesome to paraphrasing a sentence from a cache description.

Worthy of further CO intervention.

BaldEd

Re: Dubious Finds

Post by BaldEd » 04 September 14 8:09 pm

Oh yes, there are some of those 'cachers' out there. I recently received a 'find' on one of my caches with the only log comment being a single Japanese keyboard character. A quick check of the cache (not far from my home) revealed that there was no signature in the cache's logbook. I deleted the webpage log. No comment from the 'cacher'. This 'cacher' logged similar 'finds' on a number of other caches on that particular day.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 September 14 8:50 pm

It could be people logging holiday finds, or re-logging under another name perhaps?

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 05 September 14 9:25 am

Could be - I'll await their protestation.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 25 September 14 9:33 pm

There has just been a spate of these in Canberra by geo2893. Logs on my caches were deleted after not finding their sig in one.

Rallywrxwagon
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Rallywrxwagon » 23 October 14 11:57 pm

We have seen quite a few around Wangaratta too.

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 November 14 9:56 pm

Sorry but if these are holiday finds that is no excuse. I travel extensively overseas and write a decent log for every single cache I find as always. I do it each evening, if there is no internet connection then the whole lot get done when I return home. Too many people these days want to log instantly. And with that comes the abbreviations because it would be hard to write decent log in the field.

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 11 November 14 11:54 am

And if they do log in one big post-holiday lump, even if the finds were across several days, surely you would change the find date for each entry to match reality? Even if you were trying to do a dodgy armchair entry you'd think they'd change the dates....

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 12 November 14 11:07 pm

I guess as a CO if I only see a log on one of my caches I'm not going to take that much notice. If they log several of mine that are geographically dispersed on the same day it might raise warning bells. So maybe they hope that nobody will notice 99% of the time.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 14 November 14 10:39 am

There's some local who goes around logging 'found' or 'tftc' at best on every cache along with two followers (family members?) with identical logs. That's irritating enough but not dodgy. But then I saw a few longer logs:
"found but no cache in the hiding spot"
"found where the cache should be"
"found the hide but no cache"

That's the way you do it!

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 28 November 14 9:13 pm

Got a log last night of "Small container" for one of my caches.
Now, my inital reaction was "Oh F*** you i'm not hiding a bloody ammo can there, it's not that small, what the, wah wah wah"
My second thought was "...hmm that doesnt seem right, my spider sence is tingling"

Went past there this morning, thought i'd drop by, to check on my cache.
Yep, no log there. No logs since last month!
Deleted the offending log, was going to send an email to them to explain why, but they havent validated their email address yet.
"ok ok calm down bronnie, they are probably not that interested in the game if they havent even bothered doing that yet"
Oooh, just got another email from geocaching saying that someone's found the same cache...and suprise suprise! Same username! With the same insulting log!

Considering it's only 2km away, for a laugh, i swung past and checked...and yep in the 12 hours i've been gone, they still havent signed it

dont know what to do, considering they havent valicated their email yet. Yes, they may have a total of 3 finds (ok 2 now) but I just want to let them know, they need to sign the bloody log!

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 28 November 14 9:29 pm

I am about to delete the first log I have done this to. I sent the person two emails, as I there is a chance they may have been one of a group of people to visit this cache, as the person said they visited with friends. There were several other signatures this day, but not for this person. Somehow, they might have forgotten to sign, so I said I would not delete their log if they could describe the cache and how the puzzle was solved. I waited two weeks after the first email without an answer from them, and then sent them another a few days ago. I will wait until after the weekend and then if they don't reply by then I will delete their log. I feel uneasy about this, but they should have answered my email. I think I have been fair, giving them the chance to tell me how the (simple) puzzle was solved and to describe the cache, and that I have also given them plenty of time. What do others think?

I also have another cache that some people have logged, but their signatures are not on the log. I need to send emails about that one too with similar questions to above. These geocachers are well established members. That makes it more difficult.

biggles1024
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by biggles1024 » 30 November 14 11:43 pm

I saw one recently where the finder didn't sign the log because there was no pen in the cache. :shock: I guess that means he doesn't search for micros, nanos or small, smalls. :roll:
I've also noticed a handful of experienced cachers who frequently don't have a pen on them and so offer a photograph as proof of finding. Nothing in the guidelines about photographs being acceptable. :twisted:

ian-and-penny

Re:

Post by ian-and-penny » 01 December 14 8:21 am

Bronnie_1990 wrote: dont know what to do, considering they havent valicated their email yet. Yes, they may have a total of 3 finds (ok 2 now) but I just want to let them know, they need to sign the bloody log!
Keep deleting their log. Eventually they will get the hint, or will contact you to ask why.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 01 December 14 3:00 pm

I just made my first deletion of a dubious log on one of my caches. I feel bad about this :( , but I gave the person time to reply to two emails over about three weeks, but they ignored them and I never had a reply.
Now I plan to check my other caches.