2017 PLANNED MEGA EVENT - ALICE SPRINGS-NORTHERN TERRITORY

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Oz Mega Committee
Location: Committee for OZ MEGA geocaching mega events around Australia.We are a non profit incorporated assoc

2017 PLANNED MEGA EVENT - ALICE SPRINGS-NORTHERN TERRITORY

Post by Oz Mega Committee » 21 February 14 8:00 pm

The Oz Mega Committee would like to announce that the proposed location for the Mega Event, Easter 2017 is Blatherskite Park, Alice Springs, Northern Territory.

Alice Springs has much to offer as a caching destination - an April average daily temperature of 27 °C, surrounded by areas of natural beauty with a growing local geocaching community and increasing density of caches plus support from NT Tourism.

Blatherskite Park is well suited to a large geocaching event with 55 acres of flat, fenced, grassed areas, a 400 seat grandstand, overhead lighting and powered site facilities to accommodate catering and stallholders. With low cost registration, budget camping fees and onsite meals available this will be an opportunity to experience a Red Centre geocaching holiday at family friendly prices. For those who prefer not to camp, accommodation options in Alice Springs are comparable with other similar Australian towns.

The Committee in conjunction with Tourism NT will be making a final decision in the last week of May but in the meantime would like to hear about the experiences of anyone who has recently camped in Blatherskite Park or cached in the Alice Springs region.

We have produced a video showcasing the many highlights of Blatherskite Park, Alice Springs, Uluru and other caching locations nearby.

Thanks
Greg,
President.

( not available on mobiles )

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Re: 2017 PLANNED MEGA EVENT - ALICE SPRINGS-NORTHERN TERRITORY

Post by Richary » 21 February 14 9:03 pm

I was in The Alice a couple of years ago, and while it was just one overnight trip and one two night trip the nature of the job meant that after doing it I had to wait for the next flight back the next day, so had a bit of time for caching. I thoroughly enjoyed the countryside around and did a number of caches in and around Alice, though I didn't have time to go on the ones that were a bit of a bushwalk. I know a lot more are in the area these days. And of course the attraction of the 2 millionth cache.

It's a beautiful spot, especially if you love the rugged outback. The middle of town isn't that exciting but has all the shops and facilities anyone is likely to need.

I didn't go to Blatherskite Park, but it sounds like it has all the facilities required for a good base camp and centre of the action.

2Lost-Souls
Twitter: @Amanda467

Post by 2Lost-Souls » 22 February 14 9:58 am

We local cachers are soooo excited and it's been so hard keeping this quiet! We can't wait for everyone to come and visit our home. We are confident that the committee will be VERY impressed with Blatherskite Park - huge events are held there all the time (i.e. this May the Ulysses Club AGM is being held there with 3000 people registered and camping onsite). Alice has all the facilities you'd expect in a city because we're the ONLY real town in an area that's half the size of Texas. The town serves over 40,000 people. We have a Caching out in Alice' Facebook page, too. so please join up if you'd like to meet us and ask us questions:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/511350785605060/

Calypso62

Post by Calypso62 » 10 March 14 9:50 pm

I am really looking forward to this Mega Event at Alice Springs. My wife and I have already started planning our adventure.

I was extremely chuffed to see my mug appear in the promo video (next to Oprah, no less!!!! \:D/ ). The photo used was taken at the 2 millionth geocache hide just as the sun was rising over the horizon. It truly is a magic location.

Here is my log for the find of the 2 Millionth Geocache just out of Alice Springs....

I had been planning a trip to Central Australia with my wife since January and of course a trip to Alice Springs was a must. Like many geocachers around the world, I watched with great excitement as the number of published caches grew until finally the 2 Millionth hide was revealed and it turned out to be right where I was heading to!!! How great was that!!

Bright and early I rose from my hotel bed, leaving my geowife in slumberland, and with great excitement and anticipation I dressed and headed for the foyer to call for a taxi. One soon arrived and I told the driver where I wanted to go. He looked at me and asked why on earth would I want to go there, there's nothing out there!!! So I explained the game and the reason for my desire to travel to this location. He dropped me off at the lookout area and wished me luck. I had his mobile so that when I was ready he would come back to pick me up. I began my assault on this hide which involved a relatively short but somewhat steep climb. Perched in the vicinity of GZ was a beautiful eagle. I managed to get a couple of photos of him but my camera battery ran out and after a quick change I looked up to find him gone! I continued the climb and soon arrived at a beautiful vista over the southern part of Alice Springs. A short search soon revealed the cache's location and, with a big smile on my face, I retrieved the container just as the sun was rising over the horizon. How magic was this!!!! After completing the logging duties and grabbing some more photos, I returned the cache to its hide and spent the next 20 minutes or so enjoying the tranquillity of this location. Eventually, out came the mobile phone and a few calls and texts sent to geocaching family members and friends to boast of my achievement. All too soon it was time to head on back to the pickup point and call up my ride back to the hotel for breakfast.

I thoroughly enjoyed this caching experience in the heart of Australia. Like the location of the first stash placement in the USA, Alice Springs will be a magnet for international geocachers to visit. Congratulations rampant_1 for an excellent location for Geocaching's 2 Millionth Hide. Of course, it has to be a favourite!!

I think we'll get quite a few international cachers to this one. I can't wait!! :D

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 12 April 14 1:23 am

Not many locations for a mega let you cross the Simpson on the way from the east coast....

If you're planning a trip to this there are so many better ways to get there than on the bitumen if you have the right gear.

DJ

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 29 May 14 6:26 pm

\:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/
You've just made my day, week and month all in one go! I really really can't wait. Visited The Alice on the Ghan in 2010 and hired a Patrol to explore.... can't wait!

Can someone please talk to my boss.... I'll need leave in April, again! lol

Richary

Post by Richary » 29 May 14 11:33 pm

Not many locations for a mega let you cross the Simpson on the way from the east coast....
I gather it's easier travelling west to east due to the way the wind shapes the dunes, still not sure the Grand Vitara would be quite up to it unless I fill half the available boot space with extra fuel! That said I would still love to travel up via SA (Oodnadatta Track) and then across the Plenty Highway or similar to Queensland before coming back to Sydney.

president & 1st lady

Post by president & 1st lady » 31 May 14 12:34 pm

Richary wrote:
I gather it's easier travelling west to east due to the way the wind shapes the dunes, still not sure the Grand Vitara would be quite up to it unless I fill half the available boot space with extra fuel! That said I would still love to travel up via SA (Oodnadatta Track) and then across the Plenty Highway or similar to Queensland before coming back to Sydney.
We went east to west last year along the French and QAA lines and it wasn't that bad really. A couple of really tough dunes (one in particular after Poepell's corner). We traveled west to east on the rig road and I think that was harder. Already planning and we are thinking an east west Simmo to The Alice and Oodnadatta return.

Oodnadatta Track would be fine in the Zook Richary, we CRVed our way along there, some good caches too.

2Lost-Souls
Twitter: @Amanda467

Post by 2Lost-Souls » 02 June 14 9:49 am

Richary wrote:
Hi Richard,

We've driven the Oodnadatta Track 11 times in the past 5 years (it's waaaay more interesting than the Stuart Hwy, and Gary's brother lives in Roxby). The track is not a track at all, but a wide, mostly smooth gravel road. In our Prado, we travel around 110 km/h on the road - apart from the bends after William Creek. We've seen Juicy Rental vans and Wicked Campers on this road, along with massive caravans that are NOT the off-road variety.

Your vehicle will EAT this road (unless it's been raining, then they close it so people can't damage it).

This site http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/outba ... track.html tells you everything you need to know about the Ooodnadatta Track.

Richary

Post by Richary » 02 June 14 7:15 pm

I'm not at all worried about doing the Oodnadatta Track in the Zook, just a shame I didn't get around to it when I lived in Adelaide. I did manage to get the Strezlecki track done and the run up to Coongie Lakes, as well as some of Googs Track (before we had to turn back when a Patrol did an alternator).

What I like about having a 4WD is being able to get out of somewhere if it does rain, such as happened at Coongie Lakes. During our 2 nights camping by Cooper Creek there was a bit of rain and we got back to Innamincka to see the track closed sign - there just wasn't one at our end :-"

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 09 June 14 11:57 pm

I've seen a few Grand Vitara's come into the pub when I've been working up there that have either been across already or are headed that way. What sort of fuel consumption do you get when the zook is working hard and how big is the tank?

Dave

Richary

Post by Richary » 10 June 14 9:10 pm

Just the standard 60-odd litre tank. I normally get about 500km on the open road though that can vary, been a while since I did a lot of sand etc. I am thinking of getting a OBD2 reader then I can tell more about the day to day fuel economy depending on what I am doing.