Emergency+ app

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
sushilord
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Emergency+ app

Post by sushilord » 02 February 14 10:40 am

I've come across an app called Emergency+, it is available for iOS and Android devices. It was developed by the NSW SES but can be used across Australia. Of particular interest to geocachers is that it provides a lat and long for your current location in the format of degrees and decimals and the address which you can relay to the operator. The address is approximate but close enough in most cases where I've tested the app - mainly the Adelaide metro area.

So, based on this information operators should accept, and be able to use, a set of coordinates provided either from your phone or GPS unit. If the operators have trouble with the degrees, minutes and decimal format that we normally use round the minutes and divide by 60 to give the decimal for the degree and decimal format.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Re: Emergency+ app

Post by Yurt » 02 February 14 4:59 pm

I heard of this recently.

I was always wondering how the emergency services would go if you called them from the bush and gave them GPS coords. Would they keep asking for the "nearest cross street"?

A couple of years ago (while scoping out a cache placement) I found a big concrete sewer cover that had come off on a creek in suburban bush. I rang Sydney Water and gave them coords. They had no idea what I was talking about and wanted a street address. I eventually managed to give them a parking waypoint and some mud map directions.

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 02 February 14 7:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up, sushilord. The app is now on my phone.

A sort of related question. What does it mean when my iphone says "SOS only" when I am out of normal phone range? I like to think it means I can send an SOS somehow, but I have no idea how.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by If » 02 February 14 9:48 pm

Hardly a substitute for PAF !! :shock:

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 02 February 14 10:03 pm

Tyreless wrote:Thanks for the heads up, sushilord. The app is now on my phone.

A sort of related question. What does it mean when my iphone says "SOS only" when I am out of normal phone range? I like to think it means I can send an SOS somehow, but I have no idea how.
SOS just means that if you are out of mobile range with you normal provider, it will happily divert your 112 emergency call to whatever provider it can find. However, if it can't find any then you are out of luck.