School Days...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Gram&Gramps

School Days...

Post by Gram&Gramps » 05 November 13 11:25 pm

As a retired teacher, I am curious as to how schooling works in AU?

Our kids in Wisconsin, USA typically attend Monday - Friday, September - May for 180 days total, with around 10 days off for Christmas, a few days off for Thanksgiving (late Nov) and Easter, plus a few scattered days off. Sometimes a day off Dec - April due to blizzards or ice storms - I bet AU kids don't get those! June-July-August are our summer vacation, no school.

Typical alignment is Kindergarden - 5th or 6th grade in an elementary school; grades 6-8 or 7-8 or 7-9 in a middle school or junior high; then high school for grades 9 or 10 - 12. After that, options are college at a university or technical school; the military; or enter the workforce.

cYa, Jim

JABs
4500 or more caches found

Re: School Days...

Post by JABs » 06 November 13 5:09 am

Ok Quick run down.
Monday - Friday approx. 9am until 3pm
The year is broken up into four terms of approx. ten weeks each. Two weeks break between and six weeks off for Summer Holidays.
The school Year starts February until End of April then two weeks off
May until Mid July then two weeks off
End of July until End of September and two weeks off
Mid October until Mid December and then
Summer/Christmas Holidays of six weeks off.
Easter is in most cases only the four days off been Friday thro to Monday.
There are a number of other scattered days off for different things.

The school my children attended in NSW had a snow day policy and would often activate it a few times a year.
A quick count I think we have approx. 200 days of schooling less a few of those extra days.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 06 November 13 7:00 am

I grew up in NSW country. We had flood days off in February (usually) when the rivers came up and the roads were impassable for the school bus. We also had an extra week in the long summer holidays, because we were west of the "heat line". Don't ask me - some wonderful idea the NSW government had - and still has, as far as I know.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 06 November 13 9:09 am

As kids we were always jealous of those American kids in TV shows who had all summer off (like Charlie Brown etc).

As a parent I am so glad the kids DON'T get three months off! What do parents do during this time with the kids? Do they all go to summer camp? From what age? I wonder how two working parents would cope.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 06 November 13 5:52 pm

Yurt wrote:As kids we were always jealous of those American kids in TV shows who had all summer off (like Charlie Brown etc).

As a parent I am so glad the kids DON'T get three months off! What do parents do during this time with the kids? Do they all go to summer camp? From what age? I wonder how two working parents would cope.
As an educator I am always amused by those parents who start complaining about having their kids at home for holidays. They comment on the whining and whingeing, the fights and dobbing amongst their kids. And they don't consider that we put up with that for 10 weeks, not two. :lol:

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Working Through Those Charlie Brown Days

Post by pjmpjm » 06 November 13 5:55 pm

Yurt wrote:As kids we were always jealous of those American kids in TV shows who had all summer off (like Charlie Brown etc). As a parent I am so glad the kids DON'T get three months off! What do parents do during this time with the kids? Do they all go to summer camp? From what age? I wonder how two working parents would cope.
By age 12 or so, I was expected to go out and get a 'summer job' for three months . . . so my lazy 'Charlie Brown' days ended at that point!

Yes, I also wonder how those parents cope/coped for 12 weeks or so. I know my daughter-in-law struggles even when my grandchildren are at home 24/7 for a week's holiday . . .

Gram&Gramps

Post by Gram&Gramps » 07 November 13 1:07 am

It is often said by educators in the USA - there are 3 good reasons for going into a teaching career - June, July, and August!

For working families with young children, summer vacation is time to line up child care, either private 'babysitters' or daycare centers. This is not always easy or economical for those living in rural areas. But it can also be a wonderful family time - vacations, picnics, swimming after evening dinner, bike rides, etc. Geocaching had not been invented yet when our kids were young, but that certainly can be added to the list. Summer camps exist in many different forms (sports oriented, recreation, religious, etc.) and for varied amounts of time - daycamps, week-long, several weeks. Summer school is also an option in most places for remedial work or to take a fun course.

From the school point of view, one would think that kids would markedly forget everything they've ever learned after a 3-month break. Some review and re-teaching is always necessary, but most kids are ready to get back to school and learn something new.

Thanks for the AU school info. part of the fun planning our trip downunder is finding out all about how things work in another part of the world!

cYa, Jim & Chris

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 07 November 13 9:32 am

Gram&Gramps wrote: From the school point of view, one would think that kids would markedly forget everything they've ever learned after a 3-month break. Some review and re-teaching is always necessary, but most kids are ready to get back to school and learn something new.
That rang a bell for me. I read some months ago how they reckon the long break can be damaging for learning. Here's a link:

Summer Break Could Be Making Kids Across America Dumber

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 13 November 13 10:19 pm

petan wrote: As an educator I am always amused by those parents who start complaining about having their kids at home for holidays. :lol:
It amuses me too, schools are not baby sitting services for parents who work.